speaker stands for the Daedalus

david12

speaker stands for the Daedalus
« on: 9 May 2010, 06:26 pm »
  Lou
   On the subject of stands, how about loading the base with silver sand or shot, any views on the benefit? You leave a hole for loading, I wondered if that meant you felt it was a good plan

Thanks
      David

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: speaker stands for the Daedalus
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 08:15 pm »
David,   yes the hole is for the option of loading the stand. with the use of the maple base, mass is not as important so filling the stand with dacron fill or something similar keeps the stand from having any resonance issues. if you do opt for adding mass please use some type of plastic bag(s) to enclose whatever you put in otherwise it may create a moisture problem. steel shot, sand, gravel, etc are all possibilities. please let us know what works for you in this, (customer feedback was how we found the dacron idea!)
thanks,
lou

Berto

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 01:52 am »
Wanted to get some dacron bunting to fill my stands, so just set them up on the maple bases at first. After settling in for day I'm just blown away at the incredible sound.  Funny my gf came over last night  and asked me if I had a speakers in the center. Told her that's a compliment since obviously they are set up pretty good.

Came home tonite and ups delivered my footers  just in time. Easy to slide them now as well as protect the wood floor. Proceeded to stuff and install the stands. Although it sounded good, that you are at the show sound/feeling was gone. FWIW with just the maple bases I'm guessing my ears are level with the top tweeter.

Wondering if any other Ulysses owners have had a similar experience. Maybe this will change with footers in between  the base and stands.  If anyone can share there listening impressions with and w/o stands, etc. that would be great.

Thx
Rob

Edit : Checked out the other thread regarding stands and seems like the footers are the way to go, so will have experiment a lil more. 
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 06:09 pm by Berto »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 04:21 pm »
Wanted to get some dacron bunting to fill my stands, so just set them up on the maple bases at first. After settling in for day I'm just blown away at the incredible sound.  Funny my gf came over last night  and asked me if I had a speakers in the center. Told her that's a compliment since obviously they are set up pretty good.

Came home tonite and ups delivered my cone coasters  just in time. Easy to slide them now as well as protect the wood floor. Proceeded to stuff and install the stands. Although it sounded good, that you are at the show sound/feeling was gone. FWIW with just the maple bases I'm guessing my ears are level with the top tweeter.

Wondering if any other Ulysses owners have had a similar experience. Maybe this will change with footers in between  the base and stands.  If anyone can share there listening impressions with and w/o stands, etc. that would be great.

Thx
Rob

Edit : Checked out the other thread regarding stands and seems like the footers are the way to go, so will have experiment a lil more.
Rob, people have asked me to make the stands part of the speaker so that it is just one piece, this is a perfect example of why I do the stands & bases separately. every room and set up is different, this way you can find what works best for you.  I've found that in some situations the best sound is to only use the maple bases, others find adding the stand and isolation footers creates a life like stage. it really is room and listener (height/distance) determined. my sense is that for your room you won't use the stands.
btw, I am looking into an affordable and effective isolation control to place below the spikes for that situation. 

also with the AllPoly option, which you have, there is much more control of the bass so that they can couple closer to the floor without any loss of definition. the stands with the AP option are more about ear height than bass balance.

thanks,
lou

david12

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2010, 04:36 pm »
  Lou
   Following a suggestion earlier, I have oredered some Herbies gliders, partly because I want to be able to move the speakers around. I will report back when I have got them, but that may be the affordable option you are looking for. Herbies products always are value for money.
  david

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

david12

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2010, 10:14 am »
 Lou
   Just to confirm my previous post, herbies spike decoupling gliders work really well under the speaker spikes. Moving the speakers is easy and I think there is an improvement in the sound. I am also using Herbies big fat dots , between the maple base and stand. The benefit is comparable to symposium rollerblock juniors and a lot cheaper.
   David

Berto

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2010, 06:20 pm »

Came home tonite and ups delivered my footers  just in time. Easy to slide them now as well as protect the wood floor. Proceeded to stuff and install the stands. Although it sounded good, that you are at the show sound/feeling was gone. FWIW with just the maple bases I'm guessing my ears are level with the top tweeter.

Thx
Rob

Have to clear this up. It was not Lou's beautiful stands that reduced my sound quality, it was the footers I chose. (not mentioning names, obvious reasons). 

I heard back from the gentlman who demonstated his DA-RMas to me and he switched to the stud glider and said although he was skeptical,  he was very impressed with the sound improvment.  Of course he had same footers as I did, so I do know if he simply removed those his sound quality would improve just with the spikes that came with the speakers.  Will try them eventually since I do appreciate a return policy, and hearing is believing.

leobus

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2010, 07:23 pm »
Hi,

I am new here, so let me introduce myself: I live in Holland and work with a company that makes Twaron fibers.
I own a Modwright pre amp and have it had modified lately.
I sent the amp to Dan Wright and gave him a sample of our fibers called "Twaron Angel Hair". It is very good in dampening loudspeaker enclosures. There is a lot of information on the internet to be found.
Dan has put it in the stand of his speakers and his comment was: "With great result". Perhaps is this something for other Daedalus owners as well.

Greetings,

Leobus