Digital Mods or Power supply mods for squeezebox?

jtX

Digital Mods or Power supply mods for squeezebox?
« on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:16 am »
I'm very interested in having my squeezebox modded by Bolder but I have one question: Do the digital mods have a larger affect than the power supply mods (if I'm only using the SB as a transport)?

Wayne1

Re: Digital Mods or Power supply mods for squeezebox?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2009, 03:34 pm »
I would suggest both a linear power supply AND internal mods  :wink:

The stock power supply is a switching design. It produces large amounts of noise into the AC line. This can adversely affect all your audio components plugged into the wall.

The switching noise will also be present in the DC lines inside the SqueezeBox. As the sp/dif output signal is made from the DC going into the chips, this noise will also be in the digital output into your DAC. This may cause some errors to be read.

The mods to the SB are made to reduce noise internally generated by the SB. The mods also address the impedance mismatch caused by using a standard RCA connector and output lines on a circuit board rather than a true 75 ohm coax.

Both the linear power supply and the internal mods will improve the sound of the digital output. The linear power supply is what I would suggest as the first step. The internal mods will improve upon that step.

Other comments by folks who have had their units modded are very welcome.

Olivier

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2009, 01:05 pm »
Hi Both

Just concerned about the noise made by another switching PS in the system, the one used to load the remote control ?  :o
any thought on this ?

Cheers

Olivier

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2009, 01:03 am »
Hello Olivier,

The switching supply for the DUET remote charging cradle will create noise in the AC lines. Just as any switching supply will do.

A linear supply can be spliced in place of the switcher, but I am not sure of a source for an inexpensive one in Europe. For the US, the large linear PS sold by Herbach for $10.00 would be perfect. The connector would have to be cut off the linear and the wall wart removed from the cradle. The two would be then spliced together.

I would be willing to do this for a very nominal fee. I do not feel there would be any need to mod the PS for charging use.  :green:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2009, 11:24 pm »
I think Wayne's recommendation is a very solid one.

Improving the power supply first should yield the biggest level of improvement.

I have had Wayne modify (and improve) various DVD players, as well as multiple Squeeze Boxes.

His work is excellent and his customer service even better!!

Highly recommended.

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2009, 01:39 am »
+1 on trust in Wayne to provide keen insight, excellent work, and very dependable customer service.

I had many pieces upgraded by Wayne, some numerous times over time, and have always come away satified 100% in the transaction.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2009, 01:40 am »
+1 on trust in Wayne to provide keen insight, excellent work, and very dependable customer service.

I had many pieces upgraded by Wayne, some numerous times over time, and have always come away satified 100% in the transaction.

I currently have a Bolder modded Logitech SB3, and power supply.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2009, 01:58 am »
Couldn't agree more. The PS is an absolute improvement, way better than it should be for the money.  The digital mod is a good thing to do - I skipped that and did the full monty sig analog mod and got rid of all my DACs, etc.   WELL worth the money.

Bryan