Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #260 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:44 pm »
I am still trying to get a good balance between the 6922 Garry suggested. Good recordings sound good.
Bad recordings sound too harsh, bright etc.

I am going to try Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi GOLD PINS. I also have a Bugle Boy  from the 1960s.6DJ8

Thanks,
Mike

a lot say the sovtek 6h3pi sounds better than the eh.

deuter

« Reply #261 on: 21 Apr 2020, 08:29 pm »
I am still trying to get a good balance between the 6922 Garry suggested. Good recordings sound good.
Bad recordings sound too harsh, bright etc.

I am going to try Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi GOLD PINS. I also have a Bugle Boy  from the 1960s.6DJ8

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
Iam really enjoying the Gold Lion 6922’s try those.

Rayzilla

« Reply #262 on: 25 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm »
I am happy to say that I have joined the club here on AudioCircle and also the MP-D2 Club.

Unfortunately my first try at getting it going was unsuccessful. My iMac detects it but it says that "The selected device does not have output controls".

Rayzilla

« Reply #263 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:06 am »
I couldn't find the "edit" button so I will just provide an update.

The short version... it all just started working. lol

Well... here is what I did. I tried plugging the USB into my MacBook Pro and it started working. Then I plugged it back into my iMac where I intend to keep using it... and it magically started working on it too.

Just giving it some listening time now and I am happy to say that it adds another sound to my system that I can turn to when I'm in that certain mood for that sound.

yakbob

« Reply #264 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm »
I couldn't find the "edit" button so I will just provide an update.

The short version... it all just started working. lol

Well... here is what I did. I tried plugging the USB into my MacBook Pro and it started working. Then I plugged it back into my iMac where I intend to keep using it... and it magically started working on it too.

Just giving it some listening time now and I am happy to say that it adds another sound to my system that I can turn to when I'm in that certain mood for that sound.

I sometimes need to use my iMac's Audio Midi Setup window to tell the imac to use the MP-D2 for sound output (through USB), as it often defaults to the optical out which I use as a source for my second (home office system).  Glad to hear you got it working.

Baci

« Reply #265 on: 8 May 2020, 03:33 am »
I took possession of MP-D2 a couple of weeks ago. It's a fabulous piece of gear but I'm experiencing a slightly perplexing fault. I'm using a mac mini with Roon feeding the DAC out of USB. That part's fine - the problem happens when I pause playback. Often when the playback resumes only one of the channels is working. Audio is coming out of one speaker, but only a light hiss out of the other - that tells me that it's not the amp causing the problem. The only way I can get back to two-channels is to restart the DAC.

I took the lid off it and checked that all the reachable circuit boards were well seated, and the valves were certainly well seated. Everything looks solidly put together - solder joints etc seem certainly adequate to the task.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or can someone please point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

Many thanks

Michael

deuter

« Reply #266 on: 11 May 2020, 11:07 am »
I took possession of MP-D2 a couple of weeks ago. It's a fabulous piece of gear but I'm experiencing a slightly perplexing fault. I'm using a mac mini with Roon feeding the DAC out of USB. That part's fine - the problem happens when I pause playback. Often when the playback resumes only one of the channels is working. Audio is coming out of one speaker, but only a light hiss out of the other - that tells me that it's not the amp causing the problem. The only way I can get back to two-channels is to restart the DAC.

I took the lid off it and checked that all the reachable circuit boards were well seated, and the valves were certainly well seated. Everything looks solidly put together - solder joints etc seem certainly adequate to the task.

Could be buggy firmware, mine does something strange too where the Sabre dacs are not detected by the flashing variable light at boot up.
And the sound is softer and not enjoyable.
I use a UltraRendu and was advised by Gary that it’s the software in the UltraRendu that’s at fault .
So what I do is unplug the USB every time I boot up the player and then plug it back to set the dac in the property mode to play.Why do you need to know all this?
Perhaps Gary can get you a workaround for yours.
Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or can someone please point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

Many thanks

Michael

flavo

« Reply #267 on: 3 Jul 2020, 11:37 pm »
I received my MP D2 MK3 and have about 80 hours on it now.
I ordered it with the 9038 DAC chip and Crystek 957 Femto Clock upgrade.

It sounds lovely and does add a nice touch to my system.

But it makes a click through the speakers between songs while streaming if I have my streamer on shuffle or even if I'm manually selecting different songs from different albums.
It doesn't make the click if I just play an entire album through my streamer.

I read this entire thread before purchasing and didn't see a single mention of this. Does anyone else have this issue?

My 2ch system is setup solely through streaming so I can't say if this would happen with any other source.

I emailed Garry of MParadise and he suggested I switch to USB to solve the problem but my streamer (node2i) doesn't have a USB out.

His reply in it's entirety
" If you use coaxial input, your specific player cuts off signals and on very fast when selecting different tracks, the DAC follows it to switch muting relay on/off. I will try to take a look at the firmware source code to find a solution to this compatibility issue. You can use a computer, cell phone or tablet to run  Qobuz and Spotify via USB. USB sounds better than coaxial and don't have this kind of issue.

Thanks,
Garry "

Escott1377

« Reply #268 on: 5 Jul 2020, 02:07 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with this DAC vs an R2R design?  I am in the market for a new DAC and have been eyeing the MHDT Pagoda.  I have read all of the pages on this DAC and it seems like a tremendous value.

I have tube mono blocs in the high / mid section of my speakers that are bi amped.  These are Prima Luna Dialogue 7 series with 4 x KT88, 2 x NOS 12AU7, and 2 x NOS 12AX7’s in each module.

I also have a pre amp that uses a pair of EML Mesh 300B’s and a pair of NOS 12AU7’s.

So, lots of tubes already in the system.

DSD in not a winner / loser for me, I do have have about 100 titles in my library.

Please let me thoughts / feedback - I plan on pulling the trigger in the next 60 days.

I also have an iFi galvanic device that is supposed to clean up the USB signal so do not think the clock upgrade is worth the $$.

Honestly thinking if I went this route will be probably all stock and I then I have my own tube stash to pick from.

Thanks in advance!

deuter

« Reply #269 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:12 am »
Does anyone have any experience with this DAC vs an R2R design?  I am in the market for a new DAC and have been eyeing the MHDT Pagoda.  I have read all of the pages on this DAC and it seems like a tremendous value.

I have tube mono blocs in the high / mid section of my speakers that are bi amped.  These are Prima Luna Dialogue 7 series with 4 x KT88, 2 x NOS 12AU7, and 2 x NOS 12AX7’s in each module.

I also have a pre amp that uses a pair of EML Mesh 300B’s and a pair of NOS 12AU7’s.

So, lots of tubes already in the system.

DSD in not a winner / loser for me, I do have have about 100 titles in my library.

Please let me thoughts / feedback - I plan on pulling the trigger in the next 60 days.

I also have an iFi galvanic device that is supposed to clean up the USB signal so do not think the clock upgrade is worth the $$.

Honestly thinking if I went this route will be probably all stock and I then I have my own tube stash to pick from.

Thanks in advance!

I have had multiple discrete R2R dacs in the past. A lampizator  and a Halo Spring.
Does the Audio Paradise D2 beat them ? Not sure but it certainly doesn’t fall behind that I can think off.
I have upgraded my source USB cables and xlr cables and every time I changed something there was a decent improvement in refinement and detail of the sound.
I can safely say I am hearing much more detail then I heard with my previous dacs that cost over 6 times this one.
As for the clock upgrade you would definitely need it if using USB, reclocking takes place at every stage and you want the best clock nearest to the chip to do it.

Escott1377

« Reply #270 on: 8 Jul 2020, 12:58 pm »
What chip do you have?  I am leery of the ESS chip.

Thanks for responding!

JackD

« Reply #271 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:53 pm »
The original version of the MP-D2, which I owned until this past Christmas, was designed around the AKM 4490 chipset so when I sold the first version and bought the Mk III Deluxe I stuck with what had always worked in the AKM 4497. I suspect the ESS chipset on the removable boards was done to "cover all the bases."  If you ask my guess is you will get recommended the most expensive option by the seller which would be the ESS.

flavo

« Reply #272 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:59 pm »
FWIW
after reading what the different chipsets were supposed to do. I ordered mine with the AKM but it was out of stock and Garry offered the ESS at no extra charge and I took that option.
I can tell you that the ESS sounds very full and warm. Definitely not a single hint of digital glare. It's quite lovely!

deuter

« Reply #273 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:23 am »
What chip do you have?  I am leery of the ESS chip.

Thanks for responding!

The ESS Sabre chip,as was recommended by Gary based on my setup.

demetri_j

« Reply #274 on: 16 Jul 2020, 05:34 pm »
Hello All.

I am considering this DAC and love what I have read here so far. I do prefer a warmer/smooth sound hence the reason for a tube DAC. I am using a McIntosh MA6900 solid state Integrated amp (has a tube like sound) currently being fed by an Ayre Codex dac via XLR and I think i want to stick with XLR connections.

Anyway, I dont know much about the technicals but if I am using XLR (which I assume is better than RCA), I thought I read somewhere about voltage/gain considerations? Is there a specific type of Rectifier I must have or avoid? I'd like to try the Gold Lion 5AR4/U77 as I like that brand's sound which I have used in other amps but not as a rectifier. Anyone see issues or if I were to later go to RCA outs, would I need to change the Rectifier? I will stick with the stock output tubes initially and play it by ear (big pun) unless consensus is they must be replaced.
Also I read both that the Ess9038 is more bright and more warm than the AKM4497 which is confusing; any definitive answer? My Codex has a saber chip (ES9018K2M) in it now and for a solid state dac it sounds great (not as dark as the Rega i heard a few years ago that was about 1/2 the price). THen there's the new AKM I hear is coming or was as an option? how much better is that and should I wait?
And how much difference with the XLR MCAP upgrade will I notice? I hear it will be warmer/smoother so perhaps could that cancel out needing to upgrade the other tubes? I read the caps are lowest on the scale of noticeable upgrades. I am not the most discerning listener.  I will be using a music streamer to feed the dac so I have no need for USB as for as I can tell. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020, 09:46 pm by demetri_j »

deuter

« Reply #275 on: 29 Jul 2020, 10:44 am »
Did you buy one?

bbybaudio

« Reply #276 on: 10 Nov 2020, 09:17 pm »
Just got my MP D2 MkIII Deluxe with mundorf capacitor upgrades, the crystal femto clock and the ESS DAC. Left the stock tubes in for initial listen. Really sounds great right out of the box. Prior DAC was Wyred 4 sound DAC 2 DSD. No contest, the MP is much better. Can only imagine what it will sound like when broken in and using upgraded tubes.

Baci

« Reply #277 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:29 am »
I have been a happy owner of an MP-D2 Mk 3 with the ESS 9038PRO Module. A day or so back the USB output of the unit stopped working. If I feed it a signal through the coax input it works fine, but if I put a signal through the USB input I get nothing. I lifted the lid and there's a red light glowing on the DAC module itself. Is this a bad sign? Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance

Michael

alvinnir

« Reply #278 on: 2 Jan 2021, 12:33 am »
Well thought it was time to jump in. I just got a MP D2 Deluxe with the AK4490 Chip. I let it burn in for a few days and have started some critical listening and some tube rolling as well. Thought I'd share my experiences.

I have been around audio for well over 50 years and have had lots of gear both tube and SS come through the doors. I do love the convenience of the digital format and now with streaming Tidal, the availability of an immense amount of music, much of it remastered and better in many regards than the first go at digital.

Ultimately though, I found that my Analog Rig was more satisfying (VPI Aries, Benz Wood, Art Audio Vinyl One). Rest of my gear is CJ LS17 Line Stage, Quicksilver Mid Mono Monoblocks, into Snell E.5 speakers that I have heavily modified with new drivers.

I'm happy to find that this DAC has gotten close to closing the gap between the 2 formats for me.

So onto the tubes. My observations.

The supplied 6H6 tubes are really quite good.
I tried some 70s Tesla 6DJ8 and they well dull in comparison.
Amperex 6DJ8 were very good, a bit more euphonic but with less drive and detail than the 6H6s
I just got some 12BH7 RCA Clear Tops today and so far these are my favourites. They retain the detail and dynamics of the 6H6 but are a bit more involving and at the same time less strident. Easier to listen too for extended periods of time .
I have a pair of the well regarded 1974 Reflector 6N23P SWGP NOS tubes on the way from Ukraine and look forward to hearing those.

The Supplied Rectifier tube really holds back the performance big time IMHO.
I bought a lot of 4 used 5U4GT tubes on ebay very cheap! Rectifier tubes last almost forever and are very sturdy so  I have no qualms buying used as long as they tested OK

So far I  tried 2 different  5U4GT tubes from this lot. The RCA (I actually got 3 of these), alll 3 of them sounded bigger, bolder, more detailed, and expansive and musical that the stock tube by a large margin. There were audible differences from tube to tube but those were subtle.

The 4th tube from this lot was a 5U4GT tube by Signet of Japan. This was probably a relabel of some Japanese manufacturer, perhaps Matsushita who bought the Mullard Tubing and produced some very under the radar tubes in the 70s. What a find. This tube's bass was a bit more wooly, very Mullard like, but the tone and natural timbres made this my favourite of this lot.

On it's way also recently purchased is a 5U4GT Black plate Tung_Sol and a larger ST shaped 5U4 labelled " Rogers" with black hanging plates. Also relatively cheap so looking forward to trying those. I wonder who made the Roger's tube?

Hope my experiences and tube rolling adventures are additive to all the posts on this forum for this wonderful sounding and super value  DAC.

If you own this DAC and have not yet tried different tube, my advice would be to replace the rectifier tube first,  the most cost effective upgrade for sure.

MttBsh

« Reply #279 on: 2 Jan 2021, 02:51 am »
I think many of us make the assumption that the DAC manufacturer - in the interest of optimizing audio quality - would go though a thorough test of different tubes before deciding on what to include with the DAC, to make it as competitive as possible. Your finding about the rectifier tube proves this to be a mistaken assumption. Thank you for sharing the results of your tube rolling!