BANG & OLUFSEN SPEAKERS OVERHAUL (BEOLAB 1 MODIFICATIONS)

Nick B

Re: BANG & OLUFSEN SPEAKERS OVERHAUL (BEOLAB 1 MODIFICATIONS)
« Reply #60 on: 23 May 2022, 12:49 am »
Congratulations on the great result! Have you also tried modding the B & O electronics? I’ve always been a fan of their components. I’ve seen a number of utube channels on B & O repairs. I used to own the 4002 turntable, but sold it when the arm stopped working.

JCarney

« Reply #61 on: 23 May 2022, 01:10 am »
Congratulations! I'm happy for you that results met or exceeded expectations. I must admit I'm a little disappointed since there will be no more updates.

JCarney

OSIB16

« Reply #62 on: 23 May 2022, 02:04 pm »
NickB

Thanks. I have only modded B&O speakers. Haven’t touched the Beosound hifi units because the internals are extremely complex with multiple PCB’s all wired together. However, I am interested in doing some modifications to my Beosound 4 unit because the circuit board layout is a bit simpler. Might change the capacitors in it, if I can get inside the cabinet lol

JCarney

Thanks. I have not finished the speakers yet because I still have to build the fret covers to replace the existing front grilles. I’ll update on here when I get that done. It will look something like the image below, but with metal slats/fins instead of wood…

OSIB16

« Reply #63 on: 23 May 2022, 02:08 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2022, 11:47 pm »
Here’s what I did with the midrange driver after removing the pointless grill that covered it…

OSIB16

« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2022, 11:55 pm »
Below shows the improved/thicker screws for the woofers. To accommodate them, I had to drill the cabinet holes slightly bigger…

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 08:36 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2022, 12:09 am »
Here is some acoustic wadding that I installed around the bass reflex port. This helps to guide/direct the emanating  waves from the woofer through the reflex tube itself ((ESSENTIAL TO BOOST BASS RESPONSE))…

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2022, 12:50 am by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #67 on: 26 May 2022, 04:43 pm »
These are my last speakers…

« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 08:29 pm by OSIB16 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 26 May 2022, 10:10 pm »
Congrats on getting them done.  How do they sound now?

Nick B

« Reply #69 on: 26 May 2022, 11:15 pm »
These are my last speakers…

They look great. It seems like it’s not a heavy speaker. Was wondering if you felt the round  base was appropriate/sufficient.

OSIB16

« Reply #70 on: 27 May 2022, 02:26 am »
Congrats on getting them done.  How do they sound now?

Below is my description of the sound (copy & pasted from earlier)…

OK so I have just completed the audio modifications to this speaker. Connected them to up to my B&O Beosound 4 hifi unit. After two hours of music playback, I have one word to say…

WWOOWW !!!

Zero cabinet coloration, crazy holographic soundstage with super width, depth, height (basically the walls of my room vanish along with the position of the speakers themselves). Pure and mellow  with incredible detail retrieval. Real ‘in the room sound’ with actual instruments taking up spaces in various areas of the living room. Very reminiscent of my modded Martin Logan CLS IIz electrostats.

Unfortunately I went through Hell to get to these babies up and running. Had an undiagnosed issue which kept forcing the speakers into Standby Mode. So after sending the internal amplifiers off to a registered Bang & Olufsen repair centre; it turned out that the problem was caused by a loose connection on the long jumper wires that link up to the individual drive units. This was fixed by wrapping some PVC tape tightly around the bunch of wires where they protrude out of the connector plug.

The other issue I had was that after the modifications; the internal factory settings were incorrect and off kilter. Bass and treble potentiometers were set too high, resulting in excessive brightness and slightly rough/overstrained bass. However this was sorted out after I reduced the levels.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2023, 05:01 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #71 on: 27 May 2022, 02:41 am »
They look great. It seems like it’s not a heavy speaker. Was wondering if you felt the round  base was appropriate/sufficient.

They are very heavy. I struggle to lift just one of them, and I’m a strong guy. The round base is large enough to keep them relatively stable, however they do not have the provision to accommodate thick power cords or interconnects. So to solve this problem I created a solid steel platform for the speaker base to sit on top of, which has a canal cut out, to fit those cables in. This platform also provides the Beolab 1 with a proper foundation which helps to solidify the bass quality.

Nick B

« Reply #72 on: 27 May 2022, 03:32 am »
Quote from: OSIB16 link=topic=177883.msg1911865#msg1911865 date :thumb:=1653619264

They are very heavy. I struggle to lift just one of them, and I’m a strong guy. The round base is large enough to keep them relatively stable, however they do not have the provision to accommodate thick power cords or interconnects. So to solve this problem I created a solid steel platform for the speaker base to sit on top of, which has a canal cut out, to fit those cables in. This platform also provides the Beolab 1 with a proper foundation which helps to solidify the bass quality.

Well, the heavy weight surprised me. A nice solution to the cables. Being very thorough and detail oriented is good!

OSIB16

« Reply #73 on: 30 Aug 2022, 05:10 pm »
 :D
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2022, 07:57 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #74 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:52 pm »
 :(So here is an update of the sound quality after at least 200 hours of pure music playback. Every time I have a listening session with these aluminium beasts; it is a bit like going on a rollercoaster ride! There is definitely the feeling that they are taking control of the listening room. These speakers produce a very exciting, wide open soundscape.

The quality of the bass response has taken a very long time to develop to what I now believe is it’s full potential. I would now describe the bass as punchy, full and deep. However; before the speakers had reached the 200 hour mark, the lower registers were very slightly restrained and possibly a little uneven. This issue has now been eradicated, and is no longer audible. The 3D soundstage is super holographic, with superlative width and depth, that comfortably extends far beyond the side and rear walls. I can also hear instruments taking up ghostly spaces, positioned well in front of the speakers, sometimes all the way up to the sides of my ears (DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY OF THE RECORDING). The treble is very well extended right up to the very top octave, stopping just shy before sounding overexposed. The midrange is truly magical with a very addictive ‘hear though’ ability.

In my lifetime I have listened to some seriously decent high end speakers like Martin Logan, Quad electrostats, Sonus Faber, Proac, Lowther, Castle Acoustics, Kef etc etc. However, These modified Beolab 1’s are among the most exciting loudspeakers that I have ever experienced so far. They appear to combine the best qualities of electrostatics (zero cabinet colouration) with the bass punch and grip of traditional box speakers.

I am now entirely convinced that I chose the correct size of bass reflex tubes, which were successfully installed into the front baffles. OK, so after modifications were completed, my recommended settings for the built in midrange, tweeter and woofer potentiometers is displayed below.

MIDRANGE       TWEETER       WOOFER
       6                    6                  4

The very best results that I achieved, was when I used these modified Beolab 1’s with a traditional B&O Beosound 4 or 3000 hifi unit, connected to an Ifi Zen Blue V2 Bluetooth music receiver. However, when I replaced those with a Beosound Core, the soundstage width definitely becomes narrower, and the excitement factor is slightly reduced. The Beosound 4 is definitely the optimal choice, with the most holographic sound quality, even far exceeding that of the Beosound 3000.

I find it best to set the bass very slightly lower than the treble, in the settings of the Beosound hi-fi unit.

———————————————————————————————

((Please Note, that the original factory settings of Beolab 1 speakers are below..))

MIDRANGE       TWEETER       WOOFER
       5                    3                  2

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2023, 02:34 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #75 on: 23 Oct 2022, 07:16 pm »
I replaced the old speaker grille fabric with new grey fret…

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2022, 08:18 pm by OSIB16 »

Nick B

« Reply #76 on: 24 Oct 2022, 02:55 am »
I replaced the old speaker grille fabric with new grey fret…

They look great. Congratulations on an excellent result 👍

OSIB16

« Reply #77 on: 24 Oct 2022, 06:17 pm »
They look great. Congratulations on an excellent result 👍

Thanks Nick. I just wanted to make sure that in the future; Beolab 1 owners would have access to the valuable information and knowledge featured in this post, so that they themselves can successfully modify/restore this particular B&O model. However, I seriously doubt that anyone else will go to the same level of obsessive customisation that I did with my Beolab 1’s. Then again, somebody might surprise me.

Nick B

« Reply #78 on: 25 Oct 2022, 04:14 am »

Thanks Nick. I just wanted to make sure that in the future; Beolab 1 owners would have access to the valuable information and knowledge featured in this post, so that they themselves can successfully modify/restore this particular B&O model. However, I seriously doubt that anyone else will go to the same level of obsessive customisation that I did with my Beolab 1’s. Then again, somebody might surprise me.

Obsessive customization is good when you get a great result  :thumb:

kimkruger

« Reply #79 on: 2 Mar 2023, 08:57 pm »
I have read with big interest your posts on modifying your Beolab 1's :-)

Can you tell the size of the port that you created? diameter and lenght?