BDP 3

spinner

BDP 3
« on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:23 pm »
I heard that there are some issues with the BDP3..is so what are they ?.... I hope to employ the player  with the BDA3 and a Bot but perhaps it's better to just get the BCD3 .?? :scratch: appreciate any insight  thanks folks....: :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDP 3
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2019, 04:17 pm »
spinner, how large is your CD collection? BCD only worth it if it's really big collection. A BDP will give you lots of pleasure. You can still rip your CDs if collection not huge.
I have BDP-2 with an IAD. No issues whatsoever.

gbaby

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2019, 07:38 pm »
I heard that there are some issues with the BDP3..is so what are they ?.... I hope to employ the player  with the BDA3 and a Bot but perhaps it's better to just get the BCD3 .?? :scratch: appreciate any insight  thanks folks....: :thumb:

No issues.

spinner

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2019, 10:29 pm »
Thanks for your input folks ... :thumb: I thought perhaps the issue  ( if there was one ) was to do with  downloading from the internet. My collection is a fair size but I would rather " spin" the record  in the Bot because I prefer that old time record playing ritual. :thumb: maybe what they refered to was a problem with that little Pi unit..?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2019, 07:02 am »
Spinner,

first of all...the BDP3 is a beautiful unit! highly recommended not only for its sound quality :thumb:

but there is still one issue with the BDP3 that reminds me of the BDP1:
at a certain amount of songs (don't know exactly how many songs are needed) sometimes the BDP3 can't show the song currently playing. i first thought that would be a problem only of the BDP1 because it hasn't got the same processing/ram power like the BDP3 has...but the BDP3 shows the same behaviour here.

hope this helps,

al.

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2019, 01:16 pm »
Spinner,

first of all...the BDP3 is a beautiful unit! highly recommended not only for its sound quality :thumb:

but there is still one issue with the BDP3 that reminds me of the BDP1:
at a certain amount of songs (don't know exactly how many songs are needed) sometimes the BDP3 can't show the song currently playing. i first thought that would be a problem only of the BDP1 because it hasn't got the same processing/ram power like the BDP3 has...but the BDP3 shows the same behaviour here.

hope this helps,.........Thanks , this may be the issue that was sited , not sure but being a Bryston  product I am confident that it's a fine and proven device.... :thumb:

al.

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2019, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for your input folks ... :thumb: I thought perhaps the issue  ( if there was one ) was to do with  downloading from the internet. My collection is a fair size but I would rather " spin" the record  in the Bot because I prefer that old time record playing ritual. :thumb: maybe what they refered to was a problem with that little Pi unit..?

Your thinking may be a little warped and archaic. The BDP3 makes it convenient to access possibly your entire CD library. Your comment on spinning just doesn't make sense when you can access your music though the BDP3. :o
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2019, 06:39 pm by gbaby »

spinner

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2019, 05:15 pm »
 I think you  missed my point there. :scratch: I simply prefer loading a "record" from my collection than do playback from a memory chip... It is a sense of ritual from when I first began playing records ....(I'm talking 78s on a windup portable "gramaphone.").   LOL :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2019, 05:33 pm »
I think you  missed my point there. :scratch: I simply prefer loading a "record" from my collection than do playback from a memory chip... It is a sense of ritual from when I first began playing records ....(I'm talking 78s on a windup portable "gramaphone.").   LOL :thumb:

If that's your preference, why start a thread about "issues" with a digital player?

brucek

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2019, 07:51 pm »
I think you  missed my point there. :scratch: I simply prefer loading a "record" from my collection than do playback from a memory chip... It is a sense of ritual from when I first began playing records ....(I'm talking 78s on a windup portable "gramophone."). 

Yep, it's a tough crowd here spinner.

Myself, I also grew up during the start of 33's and 45's, and I understand the desire to hold something in your hand rather than running an app on your smartphone to listen to your music, but you just have to give it a chance I think.

I know it was quite a leap back in the day to accept a digital CD when it was invented, but eventually we saw how much nicer it was than a record. We thought the CD would take us through our lifetimes. Nope, didn't happen - digital files took over so quickly.

I'll tell you, it's actually quite fun to rip all those CD's into digital. It takes time, but it's worth it to reacquaint yourself with all the stuff you own and forgot about. I wasted a lot of time just listening.

I don't have a BDP, but some day I might, as I now just use computers on both my systems to play my digital music. I think you would acclimate rather quickly to a digital library, as it has so many advantages over all that physical medium you like to hold in your hands.

brucek

spinner

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:00 pm »
 Thank you ...your opinion makes a lot of sense . I understand the BOT is undergoing a change  to a different loader but  it's been put on hold for now ... If I did "rip and store" I would have to get a BOT , BDP and BDA .... I have a BCD3 and love it ...sure does beat a wind up grammy...LOL :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:09 pm »
If that's your preference, why start a thread about "issues" with a digital player?
... My  "issues ' were based on what  I was told recently about the  BDP.. He never specified what they were but I needed to know if I was going to invest into that  idea. I did get a BCD3 recently and love it as I love the act of loading the tray....part of the fun here...call me old fashion I love that  too...LOL

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:20 pm »
  I see Spinner's point because I , as well , enjoy the "ritual" of a tangible medium and the large collection of CD records on my shelves makes me feel fuzzy to see. :thumb: However when the new BOT is available :P I may pursue the BDP method....as cash permits. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2019, 02:46 am by redbook »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2019, 02:21 pm »
LP's are certainly special and more so then listening to digital content; even I have a small collection that I like to "spin" once and awhile, but i think of it as more of an occasion then anything else.  Getting the record out of the sleeve, preparing it for the record player, holding the enormous sleeve and admiring the art, detail and lyrics.  Digital in my opinion is still far more convenient sounds either as good or better (source material/recording dependent), not to mention with the support of streaming services all lot easier/convenient to discover new music.

Chris

veloceleste

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:48 pm »
If you buy Bot/BDA/BDP you might as well sell your BCD. It becomes redundant on one level. I'm like you, I prefer loading a disc and owning the physical media. I have a BDA2 and use an old Pioneer Elite DVD player as a transport. Also plugged in to the BDA2 is an Apple TV and the digital out from my tv which has a roku stick. I explore new music through various internet radio stations and the roku gives you Spotify. If I find something I like a lot I order the disc. I haven't run into anything that is available by download only. My "file system" is my disc collection organized by genre, then alphabetized by artist.