A Beat-Up topic ,, but still related to modern gear ?

2bigears

:D hello all good AC peeps. If one buys a modern 10k integrated ,, is it less than two separates within same price more or less ?  One box and less cables is nice. Used is of course SMART . I would like to keep things simple as most ,, or at least us old farts buying the last get outta jail stereo. Just what % are you losing really with one good big power box ?   :D

Big Red Machine

Re: A Beat-Up topic ,, but still related to modern gear ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:19 am »
I would not spend more than, say, $3500 on a nice used Pass or Simaudio integrated. I almost went that direction end of 2020 and then jumped the shark to a tubed preamp and class D amp. Cables are considered but they cannot be a deal breaker given how good separates are and have been.

There are some stellar all-in-one's but I cannot justify that high a number when you can put together a killer preamp-amp combo.

Are you expecting the dac to be in this beast? So now  you have one more piece.

I would expect the 3 pieces will way less than one 10k unit. Certainly not as tidy as a one-box, but sound is #1 and cost is #2 for me.

And used cables will be noise in the whole equation.

What kind of brands were you considering?

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:34 am »
I recently purchased a Pass Int-60 integrated and hear no reason to consider separates in the future.  And while I haven’t heard this amp side by side with separates in my room with my gear I go to bed knowing that I have the amp that brings happiness to me via my ears and my eyes (I happen to think it’s good looking too).  Just my opinion.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:42 am »
 :D I have always been interested in the big nuvista 800 from music fidelity.   Used maybe 8 large. Not sure who even makes a good realistic all in one besides this one example. I love giving small makers on this site like Franks creations,, a couple bigger mono amps and a good pre , the bank isn't burnt down ,, but my Canuck dollar is way past ridiculous ,,,, 30% lost plus all the other cross border crap.   :D simaudio ? Thanks ,, I'll look that up..  :D.  Their 700 is $$ 18,000.00  how dam good must that sound ?   :D

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:52 am »
Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid, Pass Labs INT-60

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:58 am »
I recently sold my Simaudio i7 integrated amp. When I purchased it I thought it was the amp I'd take to my grave, and it was as good as any amp I've heard. The reason I sold it was, and this is the real reason, I wanted to sell it while I could still carry it up the basement stairs.

If you're looking for an amp that's completely honest with plenty of power, the big Simaudio amps should be on your list.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2021, 01:17 am »
 :D 700i V2 ,,,, 18 large ! That's what you had ?    That's a lot of tuna.  Outta my range.   :D

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2021, 02:16 am »
If one buys a modern 10k integrated ,, is it less than two separates within same price more or less ?

First I'll have to say I don't have an opinion... yet.
But if you are just thinking out loud and can wait a few months I may have some thoughts.

A member of our audio group bought a brand new Luxman L-509X but we haven't had any gatherings for the last year so no one has heard it yet. I just got my first vaccine shot so small gatherings may start up in 6 weeks. Below is a photo of his setup, speakers are Joseph Audio Perspective with dual Rythmik subs.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-l-509x-integrated-amplifier

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2021, 02:22 am »
:D 700i V2 ,,,, 18 large ! That's what you had ?    That's a lot of tuna.  Outta my range.   :D

I had the i7, predecessor to the 700i. Bought mine as a demo from a local dealer for way less than the $6k msrp. They look pretty much identical on the outside. I had no idea they were selling for $18k.

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2021, 03:00 am »
integrateds make sense for most, who value simplicity and don't want to tweak specific components much

pass, luxman, hegel, ayre are all top tier, among others

you do not need spend ten grand to get the goods... five is plenty, spend the rest on front end or speakers or room treatments to get the best sound

veloceleste

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2021, 02:59 pm »
:D I have always been interested in the big nuvista 800 from music fidelity.   Used maybe 8 large. Not sure who even makes a good realistic all in one besides this one example. I love giving small makers on this site like Franks creations,, a couple bigger mono amps and a good pre , the bank isn't burnt down ,, but my Canuck dollar is way past ridiculous ,,,, 30% lost plus all the other cross border crap.   :D simaudio ? Thanks ,, I'll look that up..  :D.  Their 700 is $$ 18,000.00  how dam good must that sound ?   :D
Canadian manufacturer......Bryston B135 cubed if it is enough power.  Should be easy enough to demo or buy used. The cubed series amps are terrific imho.

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2021, 04:31 pm »
integrateds make sense for most, who value simplicity and don't want to tweak specific components much

pass, luxman, hegel, ayre are all top tier, among others

you do not need spend ten grand to get the goods... five is plenty, spend the rest on front end or speakers or room treatments to get the best sound

X2 !