More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #500 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:19 pm »
I went a little more integrated route with my setup.
Evga Nu Audio card in the pc.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=712-P1-AN01-KR
I know its scoffed upon compared to a separate system, but for ease of use and really decent improvement on sound it works fairly well. Connected that with some blue jeans and we're in business. Plus it has upgradable opamps so if I felt like tinkering with some of those it can be done. I always like tinkering.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #501 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:30 pm »
  Hey Man no worry about the scoffers. If it sounds good it sounds good. Good and very good sound does not have to be expensive or by the book. Great sound another story. Besides you get to do what you like, tinker. Enjoy

charles

charmerci

« Reply #502 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:58 pm »
Agree. I'd rather have someone give us their thoughts on what they've bought rather than a list of untried DAC's. I'd also prefer more details and comparisons.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #503 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:32 pm »
I'm looking for a nice budget dac (≈200€)  for a friend that's decided to leave the world of mono-sonos behind... It needs to have bluetooth and also volume control since it will go into powered speakers.

Shoot!   :P

o0o

« Reply #504 on: 26 Jun 2020, 10:17 am »
A new windows driver XMOS_USBAudio_v4.82.0_2020-04-14 for Da3, Da2, D4, Idea, IQ, etc is released by smsl-audio.

No changelog provided.

Tested and working fine with with Sabaj Da2.

karnana

« Reply #505 on: 26 Jun 2020, 09:13 pm »
Received Qudelix 5k. Very sturdy looking fiio btr3 size thing.

Tested with balanced. It's not a sabaj da3 with bluetooth... but it's really close. Sabaj has a little more "analytic" detail and less noise. Qudelix 5k is a little bit warm (?) compared to Sabaj Da3.

Microphone of Qudelix 5k really works great! Software looks promising too. I thought it would beat sabaj da3... but I guess you need the juice to the chips to compete with it which Bluetooth dacs are not designed for.

Qudelix 5k is great as a package if you looking for a Bluetooth dac. Bluetooth range and connection is quite flawless. Fiio BTR3 is a joke compared to this. I don't know about BTR5.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #506 on: 15 Jul 2020, 05:46 pm »
Surprised the new $200 Schiit Modius hasn't been mentioned yet. https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

Unison USB, optical, coax, and AES digital inputs. Based on the AKM AK4493, balanced and SE outputs, with separate analog output stages for balanced and SE outputs. Available in black or silver. Plus the cherry on top is that, like all Schiit products, it's made in the US if you care about that sort of thing.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. And it sounds absolutely amazing IMO. I've been trying to decide if I like it better than my Modi Multibit and I think I do prefer the Moduis. The most obvious difference is that it seems to have a little bigger soundstage than Mimby. There some other finer tonal differences between the Mimby and Modius. I'm not great at describing finer sonic details but you can read more here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-modius-discussion-199-balanced-ak4493-dac.933895/

I highly recommend it.

wushuliu

« Reply #507 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:11 pm »
Surprised the new $200 Schiit Modius hasn't been mentioned yet. https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

Unison USB, optical, coax, and AES digital inputs. Based on the AKM AK4493, balanced and SE outputs, with separate analog output stages for balanced and SE outputs. Available in black or silver. Plus the cherry on top is that, like all Schiit products, it's made in the US if you care about that sort of thing.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. And it sounds absolutely amazing IMO. I've been trying to decide if I like it better than my Modi Multibit and I think I do prefer the Moduis. The most obvious difference is that it seems to have a little bigger soundstage than Mimby. There some other finer tonal differences between the Mimby and Modius. I'm not great at describing finer sonic details but you can read more here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-modius-discussion-199-balanced-ak4493-dac.933895/

I highly recommend it.

Yes, the Modius looks good. Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the Modi MB. My recollection is that it had a narrow stage as well.

I'm taking a hiatus from the hobby, especially as there doesn't seem to be any real groundbreaking strides since R2R comeback. But it's nice to see the budget segment getting better and better.

uncola

« Reply #509 on: 20 Oct 2020, 12:47 pm »
I got one of these recently and it really opened my eyes to how great a small cheap dac could sound.  Beats my modded oppo sonica dac by far
https://www.allo.com/sparky/revolution-dac.html

I use it with an external 5V linear power supply from Jay's Audio

Poultrygeist

« Reply #510 on: 21 Oct 2020, 11:34 am »
Picked up this Khadas Tone Board DAC for $89 last week on Amazon. Hard to imagine a better sounding DAC at this bargain basement price. But the case did set me back a whopping $11.

Streaming Amazon HD from a Node 2i to it's coax input is stunning.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #511 on: 2 Dec 2020, 04:37 pm »
so in the slighlity more than peanuts category, i have been fooling around with a new topping e30 dac.  I am very impressed. It is incredibly linear and does not emphasize any part of the sound spectrum in a very good way. Impressive clarity for 130 bucks......

Just got this in yesterday from a black friday sale, saved $20, and it's officially a giant killer.  Smooth as butter with good detail and excellent bass.  AKM AK4493EQ chip with the Velvetsound architecture, XMOS 208 usb input and AK9118 receiver for S/pdif.  Soundstage is incredible for a little thing that costs less than the cables used with it, deep and wide with well defined images.  It just makes music.  Note that reading the reviews, of which the are many, everyone said feed it good power.  In other words not your laptop or the sound just collapses.  It doesn't have it's own PS, you get a usb A cord attached to a barrel power connector so you have to find a wall wart of power bank.  I can't find my power bank, it's here somewhere I'm sure, so I just ran a phone charger that seemed to work fine.  Comes with a remote control, adjustable digital filters, preamp with volume or straight DAC out, and all the connections, usb B, coaxial, and optical.  Note that you do need to download drivers for PCs to get total functionality.  I couldn't be happier with this purchase. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #512 on: 2 Dec 2020, 04:42 pm »
All the DACs using AKM chips will likely vanish from the market place pretty soon.

The entire AKM factory burned down to the ground in Japan a couple of weeks ago and there will be no new production of any AKM parts for at  least a year according to our factory rep.

Buy one now if you want a AKM based DAC.

Frank

Bemopti123

« Reply #513 on: 2 Dec 2020, 04:50 pm »
No to start a flame war....but I am wondering aloud, is there a DAC implementation here that will challenge those SOTA DACs that I am have curious about, like the Mola Mola DAC or a DCS stack?  Deep inside I know answer but as always, there might be some people here who has actual experience comparing these DACs to the uber DACs that I have been hearing about in the internet.   :thumb:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #514 on: 2 Dec 2020, 09:51 pm »
DACs are improving to the point that there's less and less separation between TOTL and budget level. These days it makes little sense to invest in a $$$$ DAC when next years cheapo Topping may sound just as good.

What you feed the DAC can make all the difference. Even a cheap DAC can sound absolutely stunning with a streaming service delivering 24/192.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #515 on: 3 Dec 2020, 12:41 pm »
All the DACs using AKM chips will likely vanish from the market place pretty soon.

The entire AKM factory burned down to the ground in Japan a couple of weeks ago and there will be no new production of any AKM parts for at  least a year according to our factory rep.

Buy one now if you want a AKM based DAC.

Frank

Yeah, I had read that sad news after I ordered the E30.  So I didn't order because of it nor did it deter me from ordering something that won't be around.  Topping and the other ChiFi companies have seemed lightning fast in adapting to new chip releases so they'll still have product, but it's a shame such a wonderfully musical chip won't be available.  I haven't heard any of the mega dollar DACs to compare the E30 to, but it easily equals or beats anything up to the $3-500 range.  I knew I had bought a good DAC with the features and input options I needed, I had read the reviews, but I was truly shocked how good this thing is.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #516 on: 4 Dec 2020, 09:15 pm »
Hmmm...I wonder how the E30 compares to the Modius. I may have to order an E30 with some Christmas money later this month and do a side-by-side comparison.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #517 on: 5 Dec 2020, 11:34 am »
One of the reviews compared the two and found them comparable, but the author ultimately preferred the E30.  He said another person might easily prefer the Modius.  I'd note that the Modius goes for $199 vs the E30 at $129, if that makes a difference for you.  The Schitt unit has balanced outputs, a much larger footprint, and includes a wall wart power supply.  I'd be interested in your thoughts it you end up going with it.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #518 on: 5 Dec 2020, 11:54 am »
I bet the difference between the D30 and E30 in SQ would end up being an exercise in hair splitting. The E30 display is a great feature and I've learned to appreciate it with the DX3 Pro.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #519 on: 6 Dec 2020, 08:23 pm »
I've picked up a used Topping D50 that should arrive in a week or so.  Anyone used a phone external battery to drive something like this?  Any disadvantages?