TVC + 15 FT Interconnect + Powered Sub = ????

drcruz

« on: 27 Mar 2006, 07:42 pm »
Is a 15 ft. interconnect to a power sub too long for a TVC???

Thanks in Advance  :)

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2006, 12:08 am »
Hello!

It is hard to answer with certainty without a bit more info. Like most things it will work but the question is will it perform really well.... As I understand it the sub cable will be 15 feet but likely the cables to the main amps will be a few meters or less - please let me knoiw if I have that right?

If you can post the following info we can run through it:

1- Source equiptment to be used (output specs for voltage and impedance?)

2- Amp and sub specs - input sensitivity and impedance?

3- Speakers to be used.

What it comes down to is that a TVC will be fine with this as long as you are normally running at least a few steps down from unity gain - where it's output impedance really starts to drop down.  Once this output impedance drops it does a fine job of driving lowish loads and cables, etc.  As you run it right up to the top levels then it is more reflecting the sounces impedance so it'll be more dependant on the source to drive the downstream loads. If you let me know what pre-amp you use now and how the volume levels are normally set with it that info would be good too.

Many Thansk!

John

dnd

Re: TVC + 15 FT Interconnect + Powered Sub = ????
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2007, 02:49 am »
John,

I have been going through these threads as “due diligence” in research for my project and came across this thread which is of particular interest to me.  Since you have provided some info already, I decided to keep it alive just in case others have similar questions.  My guess is that the TAP will become popular and invite a lot of questions.

To refresh your memory, I am the one who wants to build a FLEX kit and install my speakers’ processor in the same case.  I thought I could simply run the subs off an RCA output that bypasses this processor, but maybe now I need to re-think this?

First, would different sources potentially need different sub settings; for that matter, why wouldn't people who bi amp be effected the same way?  Or does everything essentially stay the same relative to each other [the two amps]?

With the TVC turned all the way up to act as a HT passthrough [remember I want to build my own], does it act essentially as a pass-through in regards to the voltage and impedances?  Essentially emulating an interconnect?

Is this what the "HT" button on the TAP does?

I will soon find out if I have any issues with my CDP alone when I try the single input version here in the next day or so.

Thanks,

Dave in PA
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2007, 12:48 pm by dnd »

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: TVC + 15 FT Interconnect + Powered Sub = ????
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:07 pm »
Hello!

I recall your project! Yes - lots of folks bi-amp and tri-amp including myself. This presents no special problems unless ALL the amps are really low impedance. It's easy to check and it rarely comes up - since you almost have to try to find a combo that would be an issue.  When you bi-amp or tri-amp you need to match levels (in any system where you do it) but once the levels are matched you don't need different levels for each source - that would be like needing different levels in a passive crossover.

For HT mode I do it the way I do for some very specific reasons - mainly:

1- It maintains the ability to mix and match XLR and rca connections.

2- It avoids any additional switching in the signal path. Since most users don't use it I would not want to complicate the path to include it.

The level you use is not really critical - although unity gain (voltage in = voltage out) makes sense intuitively it could be any level. Personally I'd use a level a bit lower and get a bit of the impedance kick the TVC offers. All that really matters is that it jumps to the same level so when using your HT processor's volume control all the other channels (that come direct from the processor) all match up with the 2 front channels that come from the TAP.

Many Thansk!

John