Faster

ajzepp

Faster
« on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:32 am »
Anyone seen this latest film of the Rock? I was pleasantly surprised by it. It won't win any academy awards, but I'm a sucker for revenge flicks and this one had plenty of that! I thought some of the characters were actually pretty interesting too, especially the hitman for hire.

It received a luke warm response from critics, but this is one of those movies that just really appeal to me.  :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Faster
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:06 pm »
You know I thought The Rock was going to be the next...  He looked limited initially but then seem to show some real promise.  I don't know what happened but his career just took a free fall.  He's made some bad decisions and a movie like this (which I haven't seen) just puts more nails in the coffin in terms of him as a box office leading man.  Hopefully his upcoming projects are better.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:42 am »
While The Rock has his moments in front of the camera, I would never call him a good actor. That's not to say I don't like his movies but it is what it is as far as his acting charisma. I liked Faster as much as I've liked any of The Rock's films. It was a solid 3 out of 5 star The Rock movie for me as I was badass'd entertained.  8)  But how a guy and go around killing, avoid the cops and drive off into the sunset doesn't make this movie, great, credible, or for that fact even believable. But entertaining it was.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:49 am »
I think the Rock and Vin Diesel should make a movie together.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:03 am »
I think the Rock and Vin Diesel should make a movie together.

As in Fast Five opening April 29?  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:29 am »
Haha, that's awesome!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 05:26 am »
Hey, if they made it I'd go see it! :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 05:41 am »
While The Rock has his moments in front of the camera, I would never call him a good actor. That's not to say I don't like his movies but it is what it is as far as his acting charisma. I liked Faster as much as I've liked any of The Rock's films. It was a solid 3 out of 5 star The Rock movie for me as I was badass'd entertained.  8)  But how a guy and go around killing, avoid the cops and drive off into the sunset doesn't make this movie, great, credible, or for that fact even believable. But entertaining it was.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Oh yeah, completely unrealistic....definitely agree with ya there...was a fun ride, though  :thumb:

And thanks for the reminder about Fast Five...I can't wait to see that one! I've loved every movie in that franchise, and the Rock will just take the intensity up a notch.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:05 am »
Oh yeah, completely unrealistic....definitely agree with ya there...was a fun ride, though  :thumb:

And thanks for the reminder about Fast Five...I can't wait to see that one! I've loved every movie in that franchise, and the Rock will just take the intensity up a notch.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will be hosting WrestleMania XXVII on April 3. Maybe he can hone his acting skills on the stage he knows best.  :jester:

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:42 am »
Gonna have to defend Dwayne here, I think he is a very good actor and has lots of charisma who isn't afraid to try different things (Be Cool); just that pic with him and Diesel I can see right away who's actually invested in the performance (Dwayne). But no studio is going to be replacing Philip Seymour Hoffman with him anytime soon in some riveting drama and the days of the lone action hero are over so there's really no where for him to go. It's the same for Diesel, Walker, Gibson, Crowe, Willis, etc. Funny enough the last man standing is Denzel w/ Unstoppable opening at $20m. There are no leading men anymore, just leading Superheros and Event pictures. My money is on Dwayne eventually getting a show on television, like TBS or Showtime, etc.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:24 am »
I actually agree with you 100%, wushuliu. He brings a lot of warmth and humanity to any role but also strength; Ebert likened him to John Wayne in the sense of his presence and the comparison isn't completely crazy.  Dwayne Johnson is capable of a lot of subtly and he combines this with a gift for physical comedy.  I think he has some good things ahead of him.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:38 pm »
I like him and think he could have a bright future but he seemed to missed that instant Hollywood rise and seemed to settle into the mid-level movies too soon.  I think he's very charismatic, much more so that Arnold, Stallone more on a Bruce Willis level.  He leading role movies of late just don't have "it".  Choosing the wrong projects IMO.  Certainly by now he should have done the action movie with the hot actress.  All it takes is one right movie and then a sequel and he's "A" list.  Maybe he does need his own Superhero movie, he needs his Terminator or Rambo to really make a mark.  But he'll be around for awhile, he versatile and I think has much untapped comedic potential. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:00 am »
I like him and think he could have a bright future but he seemed to missed that instant Hollywood rise and seemed to settle into the mid-level movies too soon.  I think he's very charismatic, much more so that Arnold, Stallone more on a Bruce Willis level.  He leading role movies of late just don't have "it".  Choosing the wrong projects IMO.  Certainly by now he should have done the action movie with the hot actress.  All it takes is one right movie and then a sequel and he's "A" list.  Maybe he does need his own Superhero movie, he needs his Terminator or Rambo to really make a mark.  But he'll be around for awhile, he versatile and I think has much untapped comedic potential.

Well I will give Dwayne the nod in that the only thing that keeps him outta the Steven Seagal group of B-movies is the supporting casts that he has in all his movies. He does seem to draw good actors to support his efforts and that alone makes his movies much better than the same-on same-oh Seagal storyline. Today at IMAX, I saw the movie promo for Fast Five and it's a must-see for me. Awesome stunts.  :o

Cheers,
Robin