Axpona Reports?

jackmonkeyhat

Axpona Reports?
« on: 18 Apr 2019, 05:46 am »
I couldn't make it out to Axpona - did anyone make it out there? Curious how the SS 9.5 sounded.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: Axpona Reports?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2019, 11:36 am »
yes.  they sounded great.  i did not take notes on details of the sound, but was impressed.   -andre

nigelnaim

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2019, 01:08 pm »
This is all that I can find on any Salk speakers at Axpona.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-salk-signature-sound

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2019, 04:57 pm »
I couldn't make it out to Axpona - did anyone make it out there? Curious how the SS 9.5 sounded.

My comparisons to the 8's from my memory: the 9.5's spread the top end a little more with the dome tweeter (I like the effect). The bass seems deeper and flows easier with the 9.5" driver as the 8's were very tight but had to be kicked a little to produce it. The midrange is absolutely nailed(!) with this driver. The ceramic mid in the 8's was nice but this one is fantastic. Perfect.

The music flowed effortlessly with the 80 wpc tube amp. The guys with 8's should upgrade to 9.5's.  :thumb:

jackmonkeyhat

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2019, 03:25 am »
Thanks gents. This gives me the Salk fix I was looking for  :thumb:
Of course an upgrade to SS9.5 might mean I need to upgrade my amp; any other favorites at the show?

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2019, 06:47 pm »
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/04/19/axpona-2019-mcgary-audio-and-salk-sound/

Nice to see my left channel in the photos  :lol:

Still loving these.

sounddog

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2019, 06:43 pm »
I hadn't heard any of the Song 3 models before, but really liked the Song 3 BeAT model that was in Jim's other room (384) at Axpona. Nice tone, good detail, coherent. I actually preferred it to the SS9.5, but that's just me.