Cheap & Cheerful vinyl set up?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Cheap & Cheerful vinyl set up?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jul 2023, 08:52 pm »
Both the JVC's may use the TT-71 motor.   Personally, I like the tonearm on the Victor JL-B37R better-- fluid damped.  The Denon has the advantage of having a cartridge already installed.  That may tip the value in it's favor.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.   
If you can find one for only a hundred+ more, look for the QL- *7 series.  They definitely have the more advance motor system.   Victor entered the high end with the TT-71, TT-81, and TT-101 motor designs.   
The Denon cartridge is just a cartridge, but all levels of styli are available for it.  You could probably put a much better replacement stylus on it get a real winner. 

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jul 2023, 09:34 pm »
Both the JVC's may use the TT-71 motor.   Personally, I like the tonearm on the Victor JL-B37R better-- fluid damped.  The Denon has the advantage of having a cartridge already installed.  That may tip the value in it's favor.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.   
If you can find one for only a hundred+ more, look for the QL- *7 series.  They definitely have the more advance motor system.   Victor entered the high end with the TT-71, TT-81, and TT-101 motor designs.   
The Denon cartridge is just a cartridge, but all levels of styli are available for it.  You could probably put a much better replacement stylus on it get a real winner.

He does need to be mindful of the fit and finish though. Downside of Unisound is that they label Great/Excellent condition for most of the tables regardless of the actual condition so you have to really go over the photos carefully. The B37R he linked shows veneer starting to separate and oxidation/pitting on the tonearm base.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 6 Jul 2023, 10:12 pm »
He does need to be mindful of the fit and finish though. Downside of Unisound is that they label Great/Excellent condition for most of the tables regardless of the actual condition so you have to really go over the photos carefully. The B37R he linked shows veneer starting to separate and oxidation/pitting on the tonearm base.

Good info to know about the seller.  I've seen them around for years, but never bought from them.  A veneer that's lifted can be repaired, but if the tonearm is dodgy that's a deal killer.   And looking further, I think both are precursors to the TT-71 motor. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #43 on: 23 Aug 2023, 05:23 am »
Phono cartridge is mounted, and playing vinyl. Playing it through my phono pre-amp with a volume knob.

Update: I had someone more experienced than me to align it.

:thumb:

h2oyo

« Reply #44 on: 28 Aug 2023, 07:14 pm »
 I too like the JVC turntables. I'm running a Q-A7. I have it paired with Shure 97x cartridge on the stock arm. My amp is a Dayton Audio HTA-200 and a PJL electronics phono preamp. I am using B&W CMD2 speakers. The speaker stands are Pangea as is the equipment rack. I'm sure the biggest outlay in my albums. I don't have anything special or high end but I do love sound of the system and listen for hours often lol. I would say this a Cheap and cheerful vinyl setup for me. I didn't start with setup, but like many I believe i got back into vinyl and upgraded with new and used equipment. That is one of the things I really like about vinyl, its for everyone at all price levels.  :icon_lol: