just a quick receiver choice,little help please

2bigears

just a quick receiver choice,little help please
« on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:41 pm »
 :D  hi,need a round about 1500 buck receiver and thinkin' on a Pioneer elite SC27 [class D amps] or an Onkyo SR876...... would like big power as front speakers are hungry.want the best sound over anything else as music dvd's are the targets.can get the SC27 for 1200 USD and the SR876 for 1250.00 CAN funds here in Canada.the Pioneer will have to come from the states for that price and i don't care that there will be no warranty....any help please and thks much.... :D   

srb

Re: just a quick receiver choice,little help please
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:45 pm »
I think when you have a higher powered receiver, with all the closely packed circuitry inside, heat can be a factor.

I would go with the Pioneer and it's B&O IcePower modules over the Onkyo, which is known to run rather hot.

Steve

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 05:33 am »
I have been told the Elite digital amps sound good.  Depending on your speakers though, from what you say they may need the current the Onkyo can provide.  The high current output is what creates the heat.  If not good ventilation then the Pioneer is the best bet.  If possible give them a listen and let your ears be the final judge. 

srb

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2010, 05:57 am »
Both receivers are rated at 140W/channel @ 8 ohms, except that the Pioneer is rated at that power with all 7 channels driven, while the Onkyo is rated with only 2 channels driven.

It may very well be that the Onkyo has higher current output capability, but without either manufacturer disclosing that specification, I would have to at least partially attribute the difference in heat output to Class D versus Class A/B.

Of course, Mr. Peabody's advice to audition them is good, but that probably isn't a possibility for you if you're wanting to buy mail order or over the Internet to save money and don't care about a warranty (in the case of the Pioneer).

Maybe if you post what these "power hungry" speakers are, someone may have tried them with one of these (or very similar model) receivers.

Steve