FS: Meadowlark Heron "i".........!!!!! SOLD!!!!!!!

Doublej

Re: FS: Meadowlark Heron "i".......Gorgeous and Musical!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:27 am »
Question, how can you tell if drivers are standard and were not in some way specially made for a speaker manufacturer?

If the speaker manufacturer ask for changes to one or more of the driver parameters one wouldn't be able to tell this simply by examining the driver, especially if it was in the speaker cabinet would they?

toobluvr

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:16 pm »
Question, how can you tell if drivers are standard and were not in some way specially made for a speaker manufacturer?

If the speaker manufacturer ask for changes to one or more of the driver parameters one wouldn't be able to tell this simply by examining the driver, especially if it was in the speaker cabinet would they?

Don't know how to really answer that question, Doublej.

All I do know is what I have uncovered in my investigations.  This includes reading audio boards and conversations with folks: sellers in the biz, product owners, and designers / speaker builders who one would think would be in the know.

Besides....
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but driver failure is an issue that really is quite low on my list of things to worry about.  I mean, come on now.  I have been at this high end game for 15 years,  have owned many many speakers...oftentimes older ones.... and have never once blown or damaged a driver.  Is it really something to be that concerned about?

:scratch:

Doublej

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:56 pm »
Perhaps I am just a cheapskate, but I am always concerned about repairs on anything I buy used, especially when I am spending thousands of dollars on it.

Actual failure rates of dynamic drivers I do not know. I suspect it's like many other things. The vast majority of them will work for hundreds of years without a problem but there are always some models or runs of models that have problems known to those in the know.

The issue with these might be with Meadowlark out of business there's nothing keeping the buzz alive in people's minds and they didn't make it to cult like status as some speakers do.

Good luck with the sale.

toobluvr

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:15 pm »
Perhaps I am just a cheapskate, but I am always concerned about repairs on anything I buy used, especially when I am spending thousands of dollars on it.

Actual failure rates of dynamic drivers I do not know. I suspect it's like many other things. The vast majority of them will work for hundreds of years without a problem but there are always some models or runs of models that have problems known to those in the know.

The issue with these might be with Meadowlark out of business there's nothing keeping the buzz alive in people's minds and they didn't make it to cult like status as some speakers do.

Good luck with the sale.

All good points......

My approach is to get the best sound I can for the $$ spent.  I like a good deal, and can be a bit risky
to achieve that.  So long as the piece is not horrible visually and doesn't have a bad reliability record,  I've been known to throw caution to the wind.

Out of business names don't bother me that much.  It sounded  great when they were in business, it still sounds great now.  You buy "smart" (ie: cheap enough so no loss on resale) and there is nothing to fear.  I see it as an opportunity to buy a level of sound that I could not afford while the company was still solvent.

But that is just me, and I understand if others have different perspectives and are more careful in their approach.  We all have our tradeoffs and risk levels that we are willing to assume.

I just buy and don't fret too much about stuff.  I worry about unforseen circumstances when they occur, and I figure some risks are worth taking.  Calculated gamble....no biggie...it's worked for me so far!

:thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:36 pm »

bump right to the top!

8)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:58 pm »
Hard to believe these beauties are still available,,, someones missing out on 1 hell of a deal here. I paid $2500 for my Lorelei's with only 2 Scan Speak drivers and I know how good mine are. These babies must have a mighty sweet midrange and at only 1/3 the original cost. I would be inclined to believe rpf's comments on the quality of the Heron's projected sound stage myself. :drool:

Unless toolbluvr is a diehard rocker who likes 100db blasting, :rock: I wouldn't ever worry about these loudspeakers ever needing any maintenance for a lifetime. You'll likely not find a better loudspeaker to compare with the Heron for just $2500. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

toobluvr

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:15 pm »
Hard to believe these beauties are still available,,, someones missing out on 1 hell of a deal here. I paid $2500 for my Lorelei's with only 2 Scan Speak drivers and I know how good mine are. These babies must have a mighty sweet midrange and at only 1/3 the original cost. I would be inclined to believe rpf's comments on the quality of the Heron's projected sound stage myself. :drool:

Unless toolbluvr is a diehard rocker who likes 100db blasting, :rock: I wouldn't ever worry about these loudspeakers ever needing any maintenance for a lifetime. You'll likely not find a better loudspeaker to compare with the Heron for just $2500. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Truer words were never spoken!

But of course, if I say them, it is just salesmanship and not to be believed.
That is why I am happy to audition them......most folks walk away impressed.  And they usually do comment on how big and spacious and alive the stage is, but my room also really helps in that regard.

And no, I do not blast them to head bang levels.  They are always driven with quality tube amps to rarely above 85 db.  They are built like tanks, and unless you poke something through them, I would personally never worry about driver failure, or failure of any other kind for that matter.

As far as getting comparable sound for $2500?  That is why I am bit nervous and have second thoughts about selling.  But as addicted audio-nuts, we must move on!   :roll:

These are the best speakers I have ever owned and they have served me very well.  I'm confident the next owner will be pleased.

Thanks for the bump, Robin.   :thumb:

PS:  and no, I did not pay Rob / rpf to make his comments!
 :lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:55 pm »

Standard drivers that you can purchase from Madisound. The parts are good quality and unless heavily abused they will last quite a long time.

toobluvr

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2009, 09:37 pm »

On the verge of keeping them...
Get to me before I change my mind!

8)

Rocket

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2009, 11:08 am »
Hi,

Its probably not a good time to sell anything these days.

Btw I recently bought an amplifier and the manufacturer has been out of business in 9 years.  The sound is wonderful.

Regards

Rod

toobluvr

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2009, 07:59 pm »

true...but sell, we must!

toobluvr

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2009, 09:30 pm »

buy me,
and make your day!     :thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2009, 06:38 pm »

I give good sound!

:thumb:

toobluvr

Reduced to $2400.

that's just a hair over 33%.
whole lotta schpeaker for the $$!

8)

toobluvr

Mosey on over to A'gon and see what $2400 to $3000 buys ya.
And most are asking 40% to 70% of list, which exacerbates resell risk.
Apart from the Heron price advantage, the performance will easily equal (and probably beat) most offerings.

toobluvr

I need a new home!

:bawl:

rpf

What, no one's bought me yet??? Great value!

toobluvr

Nope...tough market out there, Rob.

People don't know what they are missing!

cryoparts

I want these.  Must resist. 

What a great deal! 

Peace,

Lee

toobluvr

I will be putting these up for auction on AG.
If interested get in touch now.   I will not sell them once bidding starts.