**SOLD** Salk SS8's

diofan56

Re: Salk SS8's for sale
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2014, 07:24 pm »
Hi BRM!

I like those Exotica III speakers also.  They were definitely one of the best-sounding speakers at the show!  The gold finish on the pair at Axpona looks quite good on them.  If I could afford them I'd be all over them!

By the way, how's Taz?

Dave

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2014, 07:32 pm »
Hi BRM!

I like those Exotica III speakers also.  They were definitely one of the best-sounding speakers at the show!  The gold finish on the pair at Axpona looks quite good on them.  If I could afford them I'd be all over them!

By the way, how's Taz?

Dave

Hey Dave!  Taz is still doing fabulous.  He's our number one complainer who sounds like a duck when he begs for treats. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2014, 11:51 am »
Weekly bump.  You know you want these. :icon_twisted:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2014, 05:52 pm »
Free bottle of Big Red with your purchase!

Big Red Machine

Re: $6300 - Salk SS8's for sale
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2014, 12:05 pm »
new price, make the move!

Big Red Machine

Re: $6300 - Salk SS8's for sale
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2014, 11:59 am »
No one wants these?

Big Red Machine

Re: $6300 - Salk SS8's - refinishable for $250
« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2014, 10:39 am »
Jim says he can sand off the blue dye and make them another color if you want for a reasonable price.  It's a very nice wood grain.

Big Red Machine

« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 10:43 am by Big Red Machine »

Big Red Machine

I can take these to the shop with the boxes and you can:

Have them checked out

Have them refinished

Have them packed and shipped

So you have options if you buy them.

Q3Di

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2014, 10:59 am »
Free bottle of Big Red with your purchase!

Nice Blue Angels! One must drink this bottle first. Then hit buy it now. This is a great opportunity for SS8 lover

Big Red Machine

Re: Salk SS8's
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2014, 02:44 pm »
I am taking these to the factory this weekend.  The blue will be sanded off and they will be finished in a natural/clear color.  If you want this veneer but with a color added, now is the time to speak up.  Price will be reestablished after they are refinished by the factory. 

thirdeye

« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2014, 03:32 pm »
Not so sure the issue is color. Honestly they look pretty cool (Pun intended), however price.

Bottom line I have found especially in the last 24 months it is impossible to sell retail priced gear for more than about 30% on any used gear in general regardless of age unless its a REALLY hot item, speakers forget it! Your well above 50% of retail on these I would urge you not to put more money into them for something like the finish, your better attempting a much lower price point.

They might sell easier, but I still don't think you will see much more over 50% retail at that point even with re-finish.

Just the way it is. Even Mcintosh gear use to hold over 50% recently that has been dropping as well. Unless I am missing something I say the market is saturated, and way too many good deals out there especially on well known speakers that resell even faster. Not to say Salks are not better, but honestly when people selling 25,000 dollar Wilsons cannot even get more than about 9,000 for the pair I think you might struggle in this market even though they were never worth 25 k (an example not looking for a flame war), but Wilsons are some of the best known...

Hell I just saw some Sonus Fabers which were about 20k go for something around 5k and I have heard them which are an amazingly good speaker in the standard dynamic drive style speakers, finishes match Salk as well which I know Salk is known for.

diofan56

« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2014, 04:13 pm »
For what it's worth, I've noticed that Salk speakers tend to hold their value better than most other speakers.  I'm not sure why.  Personally I think they hold too much value on the used market.  Don't get me wrong, they are great products.  I've heard Big's SS8s (at his house) and they're quite nice to say the least.  I wish I could afford them.

Hey Big, don't have them refinished.  Discount your price to include having the next owner refinish them.

Say hi to Taz for me.  He is such a cool cat!

Rocket

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2014, 01:59 am »
Hi,

I agree Salk Sound speakers do tend to hold their value quite well.  Pete I think that refinishing the speaker will give you a wider audience than the current blue finish.  Whilst I think it looks nice and retro many prospective customers might not like the finish.  If you had decided to sell them last year I would have bought them but my recent purchase of a pair of HT3's makes it difficult now. I really like accuton midrange drivers and I'm sure these sound brilliant.

Regards Rod

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2014, 07:45 pm »
Personally, I have been following this post, each day I come in expecting to see them SOLD! I have to admit the blue is not my choice but the  Japanese Tamo Ash veneer is a very attractive finish for speakers.

In reference to the asking price, the age of these speakers should not affect the performance at all. So the question is to a potential SS8 would you like to save ~$2100 and buy speaker with used drivers and crossover with a new finish or pay at least $8,000 and have a brand new set.

I have been in the upgrade mood for awhile now and my situation is choosing between the SS8 or Exotica 3 in the Salk line. That decision bring on a whole bunch more of questions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 29 May 2014, 09:24 pm »
Anyone remember this activity?

diofan56

« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2014, 12:38 am »
I like the natural finish and the one on the bottom, third from the right.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: **SOLD** Salk SS8's
« Reply #37 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:16 pm »
Congrats, BRM.

I look forward to pics of your new Exotica III speakers. (I know how good they sound!)