New member from NC

jcsperson

New member from NC
« on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:08 pm »
Hi folks,

AC came up in one of my audio searches and I'm impressed with the level of discussion here. Instead of just lurking, I decided I need to participate and learn from folks who know a helluva lot more than me.

I got into audio while in the Navy back in the '80s. I would go down to the Yokosuka Bx and look at all the gear and ended up taking several items back to the States. I subscribed to some magazines and went to high-end stores and realized my stuff was just stuff.

By the '90s my set up was:
Audible Illusions Modulus 2 preamp
Counterpoint SA-100 power amp
Magnepan MGIII speakers
Sony CDP-302ES cd player
Harman Kardon T-60C turntable
Grado cartridge (I forget the model number)

In my new house the Maggies just don't fit the room. They're put away. The Sony cd player passed away some time ago.

My current system:
Emotiva T-100 receiver/DAC
Canton Karat 40 speakers
Harman Kardon T-60C turntable
Marantz CD6006 cd player

I'm thinking about a new cartridge, something like a Nagaoka MP200 or similar. I'm also thinking of building speakers to replace the Cantons. I have a full woodworking shop in the third bay of my garage. I don't know an amp from an ohm, so I'm here to learn.

15-second bio: Formerly from Ohio, now living in NC near Chapel Hill. I was a naval officer for about 10 years; served as a Radar Intercept Officer in F-4 Phantoms. I was a stockbroker for a while after that. I retire in June after teaching for 22 years.

Interests outside of audio and music: History, art, travel, Greyhounds, Corvettes, auto racing, football, Rugby, tennis, chess, woodworking.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member from NC
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

vanderstephen

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm »
Welcome, from 30 minutes or so away from you in Cary! When you start to look at building speakers, consider Selah Audio. They have a circle on this website and are from Garner, so a good way to keep it local.

jcsperson

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2020, 11:38 pm »
Welcome, from 30 minutes or so away from you in Cary! When you start to look at building speakers, consider Selah Audio. They have a circle on this website and are from Garner, so a good way to keep it local.

Cool. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2020, 12:33 am »
Welcome!

jcsperson

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:34 pm »

Just checked those out. Looks like nice stuff, but might be a bit rich for my blood. :o

I have other expensive hobbies to fund. :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:36 pm »
Another welcome from Cary!  :wave:

Thanks for your service.

jcsperson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:27 pm »
Thanks for your service.

I always appreciate that sentiment, but it was truly an honor to serve.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2020, 11:50 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jcsperson   :thumb:  And as Rich said, Thank You for your service.

mcmusicman

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:03 am »
Welcome!  Wilmington here but grew up off Old Chapel Hill Rd.  Thank you of course for your service. My Dad fought in France and turns 95 next month.
Cheers!

jcsperson

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2020, 03:29 am »
Welcome!  Wilmington here but grew up off Old Chapel Hill Rd.  Thank you of course for your service. My Dad fought in France and turns 95 next month.

Best wishes to your pop!

I was in Normandy a few years back. Absolutely stupefying what those guys went through.

Some of my pics:

Normandy: Omaha Beach view to Pointe du Hoc

Weathered personal memorials at the foot of the Omaha Beach Monument

Pointe du Hoc: View from a German bunker. This was used in a scene from the movie The Longest Day

View from the cliffs at Pointe du hoc

German bunker complex

Entrance to a bunker; note the murder hole to the left of the entrance

Colleville-sur-mer

Colleville-sur-mer