Bryston Turntable

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #300 on: 18 Feb 2017, 04:23 pm »
Hi Folks,

Speaking of Cartridges do you think it would be a good idea to offer a cartridge or 2 at a special price if purchased with the turntable.

I have an opportunity to purchase some BENZ MC Glider cartridges and a High Output MC Dynavector at really great prices so it would save the customer a fair bit of money if purchased as a package?

james

...good idea, James.  :thumb:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #301 on: 18 Feb 2017, 04:30 pm »
...good idea, James.  :thumb:

al.

Hi Al,

Bought 12 cartridges last week sold 12 tables :thumb:.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #302 on: 18 Feb 2017, 08:12 pm »

...Bryston is....incredible :thumb: :thumb:

congrats!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator

gene9p

« Reply #304 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:47 pm »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #305 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:10 pm »
LOL, vinyl's an acquired, nostalgic taste.
You pay $$$$ for distortion, inconvenience, compressed dynamic range, and
Rice Krispies served up on an expensive spinning plate.

snap, crackle, pop.   :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 15 Mar 2017, 04:12 pm »
well that does it..I'm selling everything...AGAIN.....lol

LOL - good one :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PierreB

« Reply #307 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:03 pm »
LOL, vinyl's an acquired, nostalgic taste.
You pay $$$$ for distortion, inconvenience, compressed dynamic range, and
Rice Krispies served up on an expensive spinning plate.

snap, crackle, pop.   :green:

Yes but I love that. :rotflmao:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #308 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:11 pm »
I didn't say it was a bad thing, did I?

abuhannibal

« Reply #309 on: 19 Mar 2017, 06:51 pm »
So.. I am an old vinyl guy, but for the last 20 years have found myself pretty much listening to digital 95% of the time. Not exactly as a conscious ideological choice; ended up helping a company to develop a UI for a network audio product and used that, and over the years I just ended up putting more funds into digital, both hardware and software. The BLP-1 was what I bought to get back into vinyl. If I were asked to name a single thing that has most surprised me, it's how quiet the system is - I expect my cart (Quintet Black) has a lot to do with this; it must be tracking way lower in the grooves than my older stuff (various good MM's.) In any case: If you've got scratched records, obviously you'll hear it... but with clean vinyl in good condition, wow. I expected to really have to get used to a degree of noise, but so far have really not had to cringe much. :) That said, I do agree that total quiet is a very major plus for digital.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #310 on: 19 Mar 2017, 07:11 pm »
abuhannibal, Do you use a suction cleaner for vinyl? I've read mixed ops about them -- quite expensive, but good results. Won't fix scratched vinyl, but apparently they can get the deeper dirt out of grooves for a quieter playback. I used a cheap manual disc spinner (the yellow one) with liquid cleaner. 

Any thoughts?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #311 on: 19 Mar 2017, 07:29 pm »
So.. I am an old vinyl guy, but for the last 20 years have found myself pretty much listening to digital 95% of the time. Not exactly as a conscious ideological choice; ended up helping a company to develop a UI for a network audio product and used that, and over the years I just ended up putting more funds into digital, both hardware and software. The BLP-1 was what I bought to get back into vinyl. If I were asked to name a single thing that has most surprised me, it's how quiet the system is - I expect my cart (Quintet Black) has a lot to do with this; it must be tracking way lower in the grooves than my older stuff (various good MM's.) In any case: If you've got scratched records, obviously you'll hear it... but with clean vinyl in good condition, wow. I expected to really have to get used to a degree of noise, but so far have really not had to cringe much. :) That said, I do agree that total quiet is a very major plus for digital.

I agree - with a properly set up arm and cartridge and a good quite power supply and accurate rotation there is something special about LP playback and my first impression was the same as yours - WOW this is quiet and dynamic.  :thumb:

Also something analog LPs do is create a sound-stage way behind each of the left and right speakers.  So the sound-stage expands not just in the middle but to the sides and behind as well. 
Neat effect !!!

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #312 on: 20 Mar 2017, 12:37 am »

abuhannibal

« Reply #313 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:58 pm »
CanadianMaestro: As a kind a friend of mine's father had one of those car LP players in, I think, his Buick Roadmaster. Worked fine, as long as he drove very straight on smooth roads. :) Anyway, to answer your question, I currently have a Nitty Gritty Model 2. But sometimes I just use a Groovemaster brush with fluid, or a Hunts brush. I am considering an ultrasonic cleaner.  But FWIW I remain convinced that the stylus is making a huge difference.  The last cart that I used regularly and know well before I got the Quintet Black was an Ortofon OM40 MM. Both have exotic stylus shapes, but I do think the Quintet is noticeably better with surface noise.

martydmnt

« Reply #314 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:15 pm »
http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't given much thought to the ordering of tracks on vinyl, which was new information for me. It's hard to argue that CDs have a wider dynamic range, so I understand the advantage for classical music in particular.

In my experience, it's the engineering and mastering that makes the biggest difference. I find clean, quiet vinyl just as enjoyable as CDs on the material I listen to (jazz and rock). Clicks and pops are distracting to be sure, but tolerable in most cases. Equally distracting is the horribly over-compressed CDs.

My primary driver for which I buy is availability. You just can't find some old releases on CD, and in that case, the surface noise and pops are preferable to nothing. If it's a choice between the $12 CD and the same track list on a $30 LP, I'll take the CD, thanks.

Pundamilia

« Reply #315 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:44 pm »

I can see it all now. The "retro hipsters" will be all over this. Coming soon in your 2018 BMW!

OTM

« Reply #316 on: 20 Mar 2017, 05:07 pm »
Edit

« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2017, 07:21 am by OTM »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #317 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:31 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston - New Turntable BLP-.5 (point 5)

Hi Folks,

We are pleased to announce the new Bryston BLP-.5 (point 5) Turntable.

The BLP-.5 turntable offers the same quality parts and similar performance level as the current Bryston BLP-1 Turntable but with a less expensive arm.

Inside this new Bryston BLP-.5 Tonearm you will find four high precision micro ball-bearings manufactured by GRW in Germany and then singularly sealed and packed to preserve their integrity and purity at the best: extreme precision is a crucial factor and it allows B-.5 tonearm to reproduce without effort every musical detail.

Quality materials, like finely machined Aluminum 6000 make this tone arm the perfect choice for demanding audiophiles.

This will allow our customers to purchase a superb turntable at a much lower price point and will also allow them to upgrade the Tonearm to the more expensive version on the Bryston BLP-1 table in the future if they wish.

We are offering a special package price on the BLP-.5B turntable with a free moving magnet cartridge (retail value $150.00) for the next 60 days.

Suggested Retail on the new Bryston BLP-.5 Turntable is $2,995

Specifications:

Total arm length: 315mm   Dynamic effective mass: 10g
Total arm weight: 350g   VTF: 0.176N (18g)
9” Ball Bearing Tonearm   VTA: adjustable on collar
Effective length: 242mm   Lift: hydraulic
Overhang: 19mm   Anti skating: wire
Offset: 24°   Azimuth: adjustable with 2mm hex-bolt
Arm wand: finely machined aluminum   Internal cables: AWG36 Hyper Litz shielded 99.9999% OFC
Shaft: 23mm   External cables: 1.5m custom 5 pole DIN/RCA

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #318 on: 13 Apr 2017, 03:41 pm »
April  2017

Hi James

Report on my Bryston BLP-1 Turntable:

My two prior tables were a (EDIT), (EDIT) arm, and (EDIT) cart, and a (EDIT) with (EDIT) arm and various high-end MM’s like the Precept with boron cantilever and Shibata stylus. 

I can tell you that the BLP1 slays both of them without breaking the tiniest bit of a sweat.

I did nearly buy a VPI Prime; there were a few things that made me decide on the BLP1 instead.

Bob
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2017, 01:14 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #319 on: 1 May 2017, 06:05 pm »
Hi, James,

I just completed the turntable set up.

SO EASY!

I installed an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. No adjustments were necessary for either the vertical tracking angle (for 200 gm. discs) or the azimuth.

In addition to the turntable, I have purchased and received a BP26-MM Preamp, PS-3 Power Supply, and 2.5B3 Amplifier and will be setting those up next week.

Best wishes,

James Citti