What are you currently listening to?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: What are you currently listening to?
« Reply #180 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:18 am »
The Cult-'Sonic Temple' (LP)

Napalm

« Reply #181 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:33 am »
Thanks for the tip; I'm just getting into classical music and have Paganini No.3,4 on Naxos label that I quite like

You're welcome. Here's the Leonid Kogan CD to use for comparison. It's a mono recording from the fifties, also Leonid used steel chords (Hilary likes synthetic core ones) so Kogan's sound will be strident and metallic in comparison. But once you adjust to it you'll get to the music. He has a devilish force in playing it. It's said that he had a mischievous, large smile whenever preparing to play it. While other violinists were just sweating in fear.

Nap.  :thumb:

mc

« Reply #182 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:20 am »

1ZIP

« Reply #183 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:34 am »

So if you want a recent, well recorded, technically excellent recording of Paganini's concerto, this is it.

ArkivMusic concurs:

Rated 10 for performance & 10 for recording quality.

Notes & Reviews   

"This disc offers an inspired choice of repertoire, with performances to match. Paganini and Spohr were the two most famous violin soloists of their day, yet their music couldn't be more different. The former's First Violin Concerto is comparatively well known: a brilliant, highly entertaining essay in bel canto stylistics applied to the solo violin. Spohr's Eighth Concerto, "In the Manner of a Vocal Scena", is no less indebted to the Italian school, but it seems to have fallen out of the repertoire. More's the pity, because it's extremely pretty and very enjoyable, even if its emotional range is typically limited and its surface brilliance is perhaps a bit subdued for modern tastes.

In any case, the two works go very well together, and Hilary Hahn plays them with sovereign ease and intelligence. In the Paganini she executes the fireworks in the quick outer movements with complete confidence. The Spohr is loosely divided into passages of "recitative" and "aria" while still falling into three linked movements--but these are not "parlando" instrumental recitatives (as at the opening of the finale of Beethoven's Ninth, for example), but rather "accompagnati". The melodic line is arioso, full of vocal ornamentation and rhetorical emphasis. Hahn certainly gets the point. She characterizes both kinds of music with plenty of extravert emotion and with a nice, rich vibrato. Excellently balanced sound and terrific accompaniments complete this very welcome picture. A joy!"

--David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.com

vegasdave

« Reply #184 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:59 am »

werd

« Reply #185 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:35 am »
Listening to the third movement of Paganini's violin concert no. 1. With the volume at 12PM. Ah, the joys of a well recorded CD (courtesy of Deutsche Gramophon).... it's actually not loud, except for the short moments when the sustaining orchestra goes full size.... ha that's how it should sound.....  :thumb:  :drool:

Incidentally, this is one of the most difficult pieces ever written for violin. Many have failed at it before, and some well known artists even left us vinyl and CD records of their lamentable screeches.....

Hilary isn't perfect either, as she is rather calculated and reticent in her approach, leading to a slower performance (when compared to a titan like Leonid Kogan) with little emotion conveyed. Technically though she is perfect. Not a single slip.

So if you want a recent, well recorded, technically excellent recording of Paganini's concerto, this is it.

If you want the most audacious interpretation possible, look for Leonid's one, but you'll have to put up with the recording quality @ cca 1953.

Have to check her out.... she looks like a real banger.

werd

« Reply #186 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:51 am »
ok guys gals, Ukulele is the bomb. I can only say i wish every recording was like this. This is about 50 years old. I know there are a lot of people here who would rather get caught f@#@#ng a fat chick or riding a moped than listening to the ukulele but i can assure you its not what you think. Totally rooted in acoustic jazz with lively crescendos and excellent rythyms, you can't ask for more. Excellent flute accompaniments, you gotta hear it.

Napalm

« Reply #187 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:04 pm »
Have to check her out.... she looks like a real banger.

Werd.... this one is for you. It's Bach. Everybody loves Bach. You'll love Bach. It's a Deutsche Gramophon SACD. You'll love a well recorded DG SACD. It has great pics in the booklet. You'll love the pics in the booklet. So fork out twenty bucks and get aural nirvana tonight.

BTW she dumped her boyfriend recently. She might be available. Keep dreaming.

Nap.  :tempted:

vegasdave

« Reply #188 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #189 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm »

it has the music used in the new adidas commercial (at least here). i head the song for the first time and got hooked.

Napalm

« Reply #190 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:38 pm »
One for Laundrew.... although I'm not very sure about the violin / horn speakers match....

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

b5pt9

« Reply #191 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:13 pm »
Napalm can you recommend some well-recorded Bach CD's?  Only one I have is Brandenburg Concertos I from Naxos.

Napalm

« Reply #192 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:48 pm »
Napalm can you recommend some well-recorded Bach CD's?  Only one I have is Brandenburg Concertos I from Naxos.

Hilary's one mentioned before is excellent (the only criticism to this SACD has been that the conductor was driving a slightly faster than usual tempo). Another love of mine is the pipe organ music one that I listed in the "audio/video that MUST be heard" thread.

But Bach is HUGE, he was a prolific composer, also there is a huge number of records as most performers embraced Bach at some point of their careers, he has this special gift of pleasing to all audiences and sounding fresh and young every time.... You have to drill down yourself to find what you like... I'll show you the method. ArkivMusic has already been mentioned, so you could go there:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Johann-Sebastian-Bach/Composer/527-1

and first check what you would like to get first (cantatas, concertos etc.). Drill into the selected category and look for "Recommended" records. Some of them will have a 10/10 (artistic/technical) mark. Those are good candidates for a pleasurable audition. Also in my experience, technically you cannot really go wrong with Deutsche Gramophon or DECCA. Then you could listen to the samples (switch to amazon.com or cduniverse.com for more samples), each performer will have it's own "signature" and you'll like some more than others. It takes a lot of time to find your favorite (days, weeks, listen to samples, repeat), but it's fun and it's also personal taste.

BTW I just ordered this one, after going through the above mentioned process:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #193 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:36 pm »
OK, my bad.

I only played a few of your choices to establish the genre.

I just figured Laundrews stuff was the same from the album covers only. He conveniently doesn't include any links so we can have a listen, no doubt he's afraid we'll turn into a bat if we dare....  :wink:

brucek

:wink: :D

Laundrew

« Reply #194 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:37 pm »

Touched by the Hand of Goth ~a compilation~

vegasdave

« Reply #195 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:48 pm »

b5pt9

« Reply #196 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:14 pm »
Thanks Nap!  Seems a trend these classical musician females are stunningly beautiful :drool:

mc

« Reply #197 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:38 pm »

math-geek

« Reply #198 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm »
"THe Essential" Ozzy Osbourne!

To the previous post: Go "Terrible" Ted! :green:

Laundrew

« Reply #199 on: 29 Apr 2010, 11:10 pm »
Nothing :o

My system is stone cold at this time. “Laundrew hangs head in shame.”  :oops: