LSAF 2011 Photo Thread

SlushPuppy

Re: LSAF 2011 Photo Thread
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2011, 05:31 am »
Blooze / Shane, those photos are outstanding.

+1  :thumb:

Blooze

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2011, 05:47 am »
+1  :thumb:

Thanks!

It really hacks me that I missed those two rooms though.  I was pressed for time trying to take pics and listen, but I've never missed a room before in the 5-6 years I've been going to this show.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2011, 11:36 am »
I missed TurboFC3S's room (Vapor Audio): http://www.vaporsound.com/#all

I tried to get in a few times but it was packed with other people.

Turbo, how was the show for you?

Bear

« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2011, 12:23 pm »

Econowaves (Google 'em).  Fantastic bang for the buck.  The gentleman running the room modded the crossover to bring the treble a db down from flat, and will post his crossover and parts list on another forum.  Stevie Ray Vaughn sounded perfect.  Retro looks but a very modern, room-fillng sound.

Really?  could you compare the sound to the Unifield 3 room?

pardales

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2011, 01:11 pm »
Thanks for the pics and impressions.

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2011, 01:13 pm »
Awesome pics, looks like a really interesting event. (Poor cello...  :bawl:)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2011, 01:18 pm »
Thanks for the pics.  Makes up a bit for not being there.   :D

John, the Cello's are still making music, just a bit differently.   Still could be passed down to the generations to come.

shooter

« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2011, 01:49 pm »

These rebuilt (possibly re-engineered?) Quad ESL's sounded spectacular when I heard them.  Perfectly blended subs.  I believe the amp was a vintage Yamaha.  This room sounded so musical that it left me nearly speechless.  I could not believe my ears.

The gentleman's website: http://www.innerurban.com

In the Quad room the Yamaha was doing preamp duty only, later a bottlehead line was put in for the line stage, sounded even better, the power amp was a Rouge Atlas with 6L6s. These Quads have the refurbished PK panels, the art of audio hasn't advance that much since 1957 has it? the room was standing room only all day.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2011, 01:50 pm »
Bloody nice coverage, dude.  Thanks a heap!  That guy with the electrostats, or planars as you called and with whom I visited with last year- and if I am correct- can build them to suit any size room.  And they are very affordable and sounded like no speaker was present . . good to see him back.  Did Uriah Dailey have his peanut size and peanut cost pre-amp?  Duke used them last year in his set-up and I was impressed, yes sir.

mca

« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2011, 02:57 pm »
Great pics!

Anyone know what amps those are in Dukes room?

shooter

« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2011, 03:27 pm »
Those are Richard Gray's quad parallel 10 single ended amps.

sebrof

« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2011, 04:40 pm »
In the Quad room the Yamaha was doing preamp duty only, later a bottlehead line was put in for the line stage, sounded even better, the power amp was a Rouge Atlas with 6L6s. These Quads have the refurbished PK panels, the art of audio hasn't advance that much since 1957 has it? the room was standing room only all day.
Kudos to that guy who rebuilt those Quads and shared them with anyone who wanted to listen. An absolute treat that one does not experience often. Outstanding sound, great tunes.
I didn't catch his name but it was the Innerurban room.
THANKS!!

rjbond3rd

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2011, 05:11 pm »
Really?  could you compare the sound to the Unifield 3 room?

Hi Bear,

Comparing the Von Schweikert room to the Econowaves is a difficult comparison.

The VS room was a high-end vinyl  / tube system (where the turntable probably weighed 100 pounds).  I think the VS speakers are $12k or something?  I've heard those speakers a total of three times now and they are good in many ways.

The Econowave room was a DIY type of room, no fancy source or amps, just straightforward and the materials list was under $500.  Bang for the buck, I thought it was unbeatable if you like the sound of constant directivity horns.  If there's one aspect you don't love, you can always upgrade that one part (e.g., the woofer, the box, the compression driver) and then do whatever tweak on the xover.  Endless possibilities.

So they are two different extremes of hifi.  (Great avatar, if that's Eastbound and Down).

rjbond3rd

« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2011, 05:12 pm »
Did Uriah Dailey have his peanut size and peanut cost pre-amp?  Duke used them last year in his set-up and I was impressed, yes sir.

Hi Jim, I'm afraid I don't know but maybe he (other others) can chime in?  Are you coming next year?  We had a nice chat last year.

Blooze

« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2011, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: jimdgoulding link=topic=94543.mss g944125#msg944125 date=1305467421
    Did Uriah Dailey have his peanut size and peanut cost pre-amp?  Duke used them last year in his set-up and I was impressed, yes sir.

Duke was using Uriah's newest prototype this year.  It has dual digital displays, remote control, and a host of other goodies.

mightym

« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2011, 01:18 am »
Good job on the pic's Robert and Shane.

Robert: I'm sorry we couldn't connect before you had to skat, I was looking forward to a chat....

Shane:  How did I miss seeing you?  we must've passed like 2 ships in the night...

John

Blooze

« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2011, 01:52 am »
Good job on the pic's Robert and Shane.

Robert: I'm sorry we couldn't connect before you had to skat, I was looking forward to a chat....

Shane:  How did I miss seeing you?  we must've passed like 2 ships in the night...

John

I should have stuck out fairly well Sat. wearing the bright blood-red oxford.  Who knows though as I was on limited time and was jumping from room to room.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2011, 02:43 am »
Mightym!  I wanted to hear more about the Dallas as well.  Next cappuccino is on me in 2012, harf :)

So John, what did you end up liking best?  Did you hear the bg OB's (Manzanita)?

mightym

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2011, 11:57 am »
Robert: It's hard to say what my show favorite was.  I did hear the Manzanita's with the Seas fullrange,and the big Eminence woofer.  I always like the OB's anyway.( did the boys from Houston bring the Hawthorne's this year, I missed them if they did )  I felt like everyone had their S#&t together this year, really good sound almost everywhere I went.  I've been kinda turned on to vintage stuff this last year, and I thought the vintage Quad 57's were a treat.  I thought I saw the entire show too, until I get home and find out I cruised right by Bob Brines' room, I was a little bummed about that. I've enjoyed chatting with him in the past. 
I'm going to try really hard to work out a way to go to RMAF in the fall.  Maybe we can get together there.
I've been toying with the idea of building an HTPC for about 6 months, my fevered brain was trying to figure out how to stuff additional Class"D" amps/powersupplies into the same case so I could have a complete computer front end with everything in one case.  Stereo Clarity shows up with something very similar to what I had envisioned.  I'm almost as excited to see where they go with this concept, as anything else I saw at the show.  Crescendo is doing a build of a pair of his ESL's on the web, and I'm looking forward to following that too.

Shane:  I don't know what to say, except maybe that I was in disguise this year, I didn't wear my Tropical print shirts with the cargo shorts I usually make my leisure uniform....

GTG Play in the traffic for 5 or 6 days,
John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2011, 12:20 pm »
Hi Jim, I'm afraid I don't know but maybe he (other others) can chime in?  Are you coming next year?  We had a nice chat last year.
Thanks for asking.  It would be good to visit again, but at this time, I just don't know.