Plants for sound absorption

50jess

Plants for sound absorption
« on: 16 Dec 2011, 03:40 pm »
Has anyone tried plants for sound absorption? 

SoundGame

Re: Plants for sound absorption
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:17 pm »
Has anyone tried plants for sound absorption?

I've seen them in upscale listening rooms but not sure how much influence they have on sound.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:22 pm »
On top of speakers they make great diffusers. Of course setting live plants on top of my speakers has always bothered me due to the risk of damage from over watering.  :duh:

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:11 pm »
Absorption? I thought plants were for diffusion...
I was recently thinking about adding two large (fake) potted plants behind and just inside the speakers. But was wondering how effective they would really be compared to actual diffusion panels on the 'front wall' between/behind the speaks. Nice large plants like this can be pricy -- almost as much as panels. So effectiveness is a factor. The plants would look better. the question is, will they do the job?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:58 pm »
Sorry to say but a plant is not going to diffuse and or absorb to any kind of noticeable (I dough even measurable) amount. If anything the pot it is in would scratter/diffuse sound to some extent, but once again, unless REALLY large, to any noticeable/tested amount.

One thing you could do (not the greatest but would kind of work) is take a fake plant and fill the pot full of rigid fiberglass and place them in corners.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm »
IMHO, plants (or more likely pots) may have some minimal effects on room sound (after all, almost everything in a room has some effect), but their real effect is on your mood.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm »
I think that because you can buy absorbers that look like plants, that has people confused. I bet using plants as absorbers is about as effective as using posters for diffusion.  :lol:

jimbop

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:21 pm »
jriggy: Why don't you look for a friend who already has a couple of large fake plants that you can borrow to experiment with.

50jess

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:59 pm »
An interesting article on plants and their acoustic benefits.
http://www.plants-in-buildings.com/acoustic.php

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:09 am »
Sorry to say but a plant is not going to diffuse and or absorb to any kind of noticeable (I dough even measurable) amount. If anything the pot it is in would scratter/diffuse sound to some extent, but once again, unless REALLY large, to any noticeable/tested amount.

One thing you could do (not the greatest but would kind of work) is take a fake plant and fill the pot full of rigid fiberglass and place them in corners.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

What about my redwood forest collection?   :green:

jriggy

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2011, 02:29 am »
jriggy: Why don't you look for a friend who already has a couple of large fake plants that you can borrow to experiment with.

I may do that just to see the effects (or lack there of). I am content and prepared to go big on diffusion between the speaks to achieve as much depth as I can in this room -- when the time comes

Funny... I went to a demo of the Vandersteen Model 7's and top Moon gear at a local store this past summer. Richard Vandersteen was there. Wonderful meeting and talking with him...

But he really through me for a loop when he said that people "with all this absorption in their room are in trouble". Continued with "a couple plants behind the speakers" and the regular nic-naks in the room that women tend to put around is better than a dedicated / fully treated room......... :o :o :o !!!!!!  :scratch:
I think he MAY of been just referring to his designs. not sure...
I didnt know what else to talk with him about after that. It fizzled after the shocked look on my face.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2011, 02:37 am »
Yeah but according to the report from Pez and Tyson their Rmaf room sucked. I got into a long discussion with a designer here about this. Basically speaker guys want you to spend all your money on speakers and gear and less on room treatment. Unless you actually care, aka Danny Richie. He's a strong advocate of treatment. And of course, his room gets high marks.

When someone tells me I don't need treatment they are immediately suspect.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:10 pm »
I may do that just to see the effects (or lack there of). I am content and prepared to go big on diffusion between the speaks to achieve as much depth as I can in this room -- when the time comes

Funny... I went to a demo of the Vandersteen Model 7's and top Moon gear at a local store this past summer. Richard Vandersteen was there. Wonderful meeting and talking with him...

But he really through me for a loop when he said that people "with all this absorption in their room are in trouble". Continued with "a couple plants behind the speakers" and the regular nic-naks in the room that women tend to put around is better than a dedicated / fully treated room......... :o :o :o !!!!!!  :scratch:
I think he MAY of been just referring to his designs. not sure...
I didnt know what else to talk with him about after that. It fizzled after the shocked look on my face.

Not sure how you could make a speaker that does not effect the room . :scratch: See the following video with recorded music with and without treatment (starting around 3:30 into the video). Pretty shocking.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/treated_video.html

Glenn
GIK Acoustics

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:11 pm »
What about my redwood forest collection?   :green:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: