Dodd preamp owners

Tomy2Tone

Dodd preamp owners
« on: 15 Mar 2019, 01:50 am »
Forgive me moderators if this is the wrong place but I would like to hear from Dodd preamp owners who have had other passive/active type preamps in their systems and how the Dodd compares. I’ve been looking for reasonably priced passives to try but wonder if there’s anything that even comes close to what the Dodd does.

Also, if anybody who owns a Dodd and is not using it at the moment or has been thinking of selling it please let us know. These hardly come up for sale very often and I’ve always wanted to hear one.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2019, 02:23 pm by Tomy2Tone »

bernardo

Re: Dodd preamp owners
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2019, 04:37 am »
PM sent.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:01 pm »
Giving this a friendly bump in for any who hasn’t seen this. Thanks to those who have contacted me as I’m learning a little more about the various models of the Dodd preamp.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:33 pm »
I can't compare because I went from pretty poor preamps to one of Gary's first battery pre's. 
However, Ron at New Record Day (online reviewer) recently replaced his Vinny Rossi LEO unit with a Dodd.   
I have two Dodds, one of the originals and one of the newer one tube units.  I don't think they will be replaced as long as they keep running. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:36 pm »
I can't compare because I went from pretty poor preamps to one of Gary's first battery pre's. 
However, Ron at New Record Day (online reviewer) recently replaced his Vinny Rossi LEO unit with a Dodd.   
I have two Dodds, one of the originals and one of the newer one tube units.  I don't think they will be replaced as long as they keep running.

Thanks! I’ve reached out to Ron about possibly borrowing his so I could know if the passive buffer or active works better for me but he hasn’t responded yet.

Are both of your Dodd’s active or is one just a buffer?

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2019, 11:20 pm »
Both of mine are active.  One started it's life as a buffer, but I had Gary change it over to a full active.  In my system, the active is simply more dynamic.  I have large line source speakers that can handle all the dynamics the electronics can throw at them.  For me, the actives were better.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2019, 03:35 pm »
Well thanks to Trung for alerting me of this Dodd that came up for sale since I started this thread. I made an offer and it got accepted so I’m excited to get it in house!  This appears to be the same preamp that I just purchased off Audiogon. Yay!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124292.msg1309981#msg1309981
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 10:16 pm by Tomy2Tone »

kingdeezie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2019, 04:05 pm »
Congrats! I had a Dodd Phono preamp once upon a time. I think it was like 1K or something like that. Giant killer. It was limited in gain, but man did it kick with my Dyna HO cart. Very dynamic and lively.

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:44 pm »
Well thanks to Trung for alerting me of this Dood that came up for sale since I started this thread. I made an offer and it got accepted so I’m excited to get it in house!  This appears to be the same preamp that I just purchased off Audiogon. Yay!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124292.msg1309981#msg1309981
Trung is a great guy, and congrats on your purchase.  I've not seen one in that low profile case... nice!

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2019, 06:48 pm »
Huh?   :duh:   Anyone looking for the best passive pre doesn't have to look any farther than Tortuga Audio right here on AudioCircle.   

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2019, 06:57 pm »
The Dodd Buffer was not passive system.  It was an active tube buffer with remote volume control. 

Randy

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2019, 07:04 pm »
Sorry, but the OP was looking for a passive preamp.  That's what he said. "I’ve been looking for reasonably priced passives to try . . ."

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2019, 08:38 pm »
Sorry, but the OP was looking for a passive preamp.  That's what he said. "I’ve been looking for reasonably priced passives to try . . ."
Yeah, but he also said "I would like to hear from Dodd preamp owners who have had other passive/active type preamps in their systems and how the Dodd compares"

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2019, 09:57 pm »
I’ve tried a Tortuga before and it worked ok but wasn’t something I kept. I tried all the different impedance settings but it just didn’t seem to separate itself from other cheap passives I had tried. My system is different now and although the Tortuga could very well fare better with the current system I wanted to try something different. I had thought the Dodd buffer was more of a passive than active so my initial request was for people to compare the Dodd to other passives but then was told otherwise. I’ve been using a Schiit Saga which has passive mode and tube buffer mode but I’m not even sure it’s a true passive in passive mode.

Has anybody tried other power supply’s besides the batteries with their Dodd? Was just told it takes 12v and 2a so there are quite a few of really nice ps’s out there now than there were several years ago when these Dodd’s were made.

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm »
Huh?   :duh:   Anyone looking for the best passive pre doesn't have to look any farther than Tortuga Audio right here on AudioCircle.

A friend has his Tortuga up for sale because he likes the $56 Nobsound better.

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:39 pm »
I have had both a very well made Dodd and a upgraded LDR Tortuga.  I liked them both but the Dodd on battery was the better imager and felt it added more blackness to the sound.  Lively but not adding something that was not there.  The LDR was great and had a separate ps but is was not as invisible as the Dodd.  Used with Firstwatt F5, Bryson 4bst, Super V speakers, Pure Audio Project speakers and others.  The use of battery I feel is the key as well as the pi tube

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:40 pm »
With a battery power supply, it's no longer a passive pre.

Randy

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:46 pm »

A friend has his Tortuga up for sale because he likes the $56 Nobsound better.

There's no accounting for taste.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:35 pm »
There's no accounting for taste.

He loves the look of the Tortuga and it has a remote. He prefers the bigger soundstage and more detail of the Nobsound. He wishes it had a remote though. He said he might glue a long stick to the volume knob of the Nobsound for a remote.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm »
He loves the look of the Tortuga and it has a remote. He prefers the bigger soundstage and more detail of the Nobsound. He wishes it had a remote though. He said he might glue a long stick to the volume knob of the Nobsound for a remote.

He should try the rubber band technique with the Tortuga/Nobsound and see how it works.