Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

ltr317

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #760 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:56 am »
Bettie Serveert last Friday night at NYC's Bowery Ballroom.  I've been following this Dutch band since 1991 when I heard them in Amsterdam.  The next year, indie label Matodor records signed and released "Palomine"  At the BB, they played a mix of old and new, and everything in between. 

As a added bonus, Sean Eden, former lead guitarist of my favorite NY defunct band, Luna was guest guitarist for the opening act, Elk City. 

BobM

« Reply #761 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:47 am »
Going to see Dave Matthews at Nassau Coliseum this Wednesday (11/3) with the wife. I've always been impressed with their broadcast concerts on the cable channels, so I'm looking forward to this show.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #762 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:56 am »
A really great concert:Zaz (video)

Great band and the irresistible, irrepressible Zaz.  Rather jazz based.  In French.  The band also has a great pianist and drummer.

Here is another Je veux

soundpro69

« Reply #763 on: 7 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm »
Gabe, personally, I would rather see Roger without Supertramp than "Supertramp" w/o Roger, ya know? And if I were in the area, I would go to the Epcot show since the chances of seeing him live again are probably slim. But yes, Disney is probably going to make it a pretty cheesy event... still worth it!

Tara

I went!!!
Everything worked as predicted. Disney considered Roger a "ride" so we had to vacate the amphitheater in between sets and go make a line (in the rain, mind you!) and wait for them to re-open the theater, for the next set (ride?), half-an-hour later...

I'm so glad I didn't spend a dollar beyond the admission there... Oh, and they forbade the artists to sign autographs or sell their own merchandise, so no signed CDs, T-Shirts... anything. You are going to enjoy what Disney wants you to enjoy, the way they think you should enjoy it, don't go there with your own idea of enjoyment or of a concert... OK. Enough on that crap.

Roger was fabulous!!!
His voice has not diminished, I would almost say it has been enriched forty years later... My God!

It's just a two-people show. Roger Hodgson and Aaron MacDonald, a Canadian guy (great musician) that plays all sizes of sax, melodica, harmonica, keyboards, sings backup voices to Roger's leads and handles a MacBook with tracks and other additional sounds. Honestly? AMAZING!!

Here are a couple of pictures.

He played all the old classics from his Supertramp time: Giva a little bit, The Logical song, Dreamer, Two of us, It's raining again, Breakfast in America, Fools Overture and one of his newer songs (I mean after Supertramp) called Lovers in the wind. I loved them all.

In his website, http://www.rogerhodgson.com, Roger sells a new release of his old songs performed live all over the world in his 2010 tour. And get this: (Since this is an audio forum and I myself am an audio buff  - mp3 is against my religion), he offers this download with an option of Apple Lossless format at no additional cost! So for ten bucks you get either an mp3 download of his album or the mp3 + ALAC download. I burned the ALAC version to a CD and heard it over my system and it rocks!

I hope he tours closer to Miami soon. He's mostly in Europe otherwise.

Peace.

Gabe.

sts9fan

« Reply #764 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:03 pm »
I went to The Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin on Saturday to see Dirty Projectors and MGMT.  Dirty Projectors were awsome as usual but we left half way through MGMT.  They just don't have that grat a stage presence imho.
http://www.spinner.com/2010/11/07/dirty-projectors-mgmt-fun-fun-fun-fest/

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #765 on: 4 Dec 2010, 01:08 pm »
Elisapie Isaac who is a Quebec Inuk (eskimo).  She sings in French, English and the Inuit language.  She had two great musicians and they put on a rousing show.  This isn't throat singing.  Elisapie has a wonderful voice and is an exotic beauty.  My girlfriend said this about her: "all men must fall in love with her".  Nuff said...

Samples

low.pfile

« Reply #766 on: 11 Dec 2010, 05:08 pm »

Peter Hook, an original Joy Division member, played every song from Joy Division’s debut 1979 album Unknown Pleasures  album. The set started with an intro from a Kraftwerk’s “Trans Europa Express.” Then in encore: Atmosphere (dedicated to Peter’s recently passed friend), Transmission, and the crowd pleasing Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Last night Peter's vocals didn't(couldn't) achieve the unique character of Ian's, but the music was spot on.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 01:33 am by low.pfile »

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #767 on: 11 Dec 2010, 05:23 pm »
Wife and I are going to see Cake this Wednesday at the Pageant here in St. Louis.  :D

rpf

« Reply #768 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:53 pm »
Saw and heard Jorma Kaukonen, together with Barry Mittersdorf (mandolinist), at a benefit for/at Greenwich House (in the Village on Barrow) Thursday night.

They played for a couple of hours in a rectangular room less than 25' x 60'. 

Amazing.  Amazing.  Amazing.   :D   :D   :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #769 on: 12 Dec 2010, 04:39 pm »

Jorma can still bring it!   Saw him for free a few years ago in NYC as part of the JR Music Jazz Festival.  He was excellent.       :thumb:

IonMoon

• The pause is as important as the note
« Reply #770 on: 12 Dec 2010, 04:55 pm »
I went!!!
Roger was fabulous!!!
Peace.
Gabe.

Congrats Gabe! Looks like it was a great show regardless of Disney's legalistic ways :roll:

He will be in Vancouver 2 months before I will  :? otherwise our paths won't come close to crossing this time 'round.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Tara

jriggy

« Reply #771 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:03 pm »
'Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa' @ the Vogue night club in Indianapolis...

Billed this way as opposed to "Zappa Plays Zappa" maybe because it was a smaller different band from the bigger theater and summer shows. I dont really know.

Fabulous show! 8 member band w/ never before released video footage of Frank. Dweezil and the band played along with Frank for a tune, Frank played along with the band for a tune and Frank even sang one. It was not over done and actually very tastefully done. Did not over take the rest of the show at all.

Will seek them out to see again.

It has totaly re-sparked my FZ interest.

OH! And they played Apostrophe from beginging to end!!!!  :hyper: :bowdown:

Incredible renditions.

IonMoon

• The pause is as important as the note
« Reply #772 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:28 pm »
I missed Cake the other day at the New Stage AE in Pgh... But FINALLY got to see the Wood Brothers live! Have been trying for a year, but blizzards etc have prevented me.

They were amazing. I meant to make note of the set list, but was awestruck... Was right next to the stage, but bf wouldn't let me touch the hems of their jeans. I did get autographs and a nice conversation with Oliver after the show though.

They sold copies of their new, not yet available album- Smoke Ring Halo.

Clay Cook opened and was great, too.

Here's a link to a video from my Iphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0saVPv10U

Occam

« Reply #773 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:46 am »
Just got home from seeing the Pee Wee Herman Show. Not really a musical event, but the music was an integral part. It was an absolute hoot. Highly recommended for children of all ages.

A few months ago I did see an actual live music show - Balkan Beat Box at the Lincoln Center outdoor ampitheater. That too was an absolute hoot.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #774 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:02 pm »
Last show I was at would have been the John Butler Trio a few weeks back in a 1500 seater here on the bald prairie - absolutely outstanding and highly recommended if you get the chance to check them out. I was first introduced to JBT when they appeared in the Australian Live Earth concert where they rocked a stadium and they are a much better live act now than they were then. They're still trying to break in the North American market and here's hoping because it is such a treat to hear and see a band which has the tunage and the chops. John Butler has got to be one of the most underappreciated guitarists around right now.
Next up : Motorhead at the same venue in February - not for everyone but if you loves the rawk as I do, you should see that band once. Wear earplugs. Earplugs made of concrete. I saw them a few years back at the same venue and they had more PA on stage as sidewash monitors than most acts use in there to fill the whole theater. Lemmy is truly a force of nature.

mort

« Reply #775 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:26 am »
Last show I was at would have been the John Butler Trio a few weeks back in a 1500 seater here on the bald prairie - absolutely outstanding and highly recommended if you get the chance to check them out. I was first introduced to JBT when they appeared in the Australian Live Earth concert where they rocked a stadium and they are a much better live act now than they were then. They're still trying to break in the North American market and here's hoping because it is such a treat to hear and see a band which has the tunage and the chops. John Butler has got to be one of the most underappreciated guitarists around right now.
Next up : Motorhead at the same venue in February - not for everyone but if you loves the rawk as I do, you should see that band once. Wear earplugs. Earplugs made of concrete. I saw them a few years back at the same venue and they had more PA on stage as sidewash monitors than most acts use in there to fill the whole theater. Lemmy is truly a force of nature.
Make sure you tell the engineer to insert and hide a compressor backwards in the rack to limit the pa systems out put or Motorheads engineer will blow the mains. Thats his job! I ran the Ballard Firehouse a few years back and tried to protect our gear. At one point the engineer had all of our Allen Heath 40 channel boards level sliders maxed out including the mains output and all treble mid and bass controlls cranked but could not get by my hidden compressor. Durring this time Lemmy screamed "Do you hear that sound? Thats the death of a P.A." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #776 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:57 pm »
Make sure you tell the engineer to insert and hide a compressor backwards in the rack to limit the pa systems out put or Motorheads engineer will blow the mains. Thats his job! I ran the Ballard Firehouse a few years back and tried to protect our gear. At one point the engineer had all of our Allen Heath 40 channel boards level sliders maxed out including the mains output and all treble mid and bass controlls cranked but could not get by my hidden compressor. Durring this time Lemmy screamed "Do you hear that sound? Thats the death of a P.A." :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Lemmy says, " EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!!!" :guitar: :drums: :guitar:

I am soooo not taking my earplugs out this time...

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #777 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:05 pm »
Martin Sexton last night at the Royal Oak Music Theater (Detroit area). Great show as always from this one-man singer, songwriter, guitarist, human-beatbox.

I'm always amazed by acts that can create such unique, entertaining, enthralling and full-bodied music with a minimum of instruments/performers/equipment (also thinking of Wood Bros mentioned above, Rodrigo y Gabriella, White Stripes, Buckethead, and so on).

Berto

« Reply #778 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:59 pm »
That sounds too kool Krikor, always wanted to see Martin, what a great voice and entertainer.

Been a while but I will chime in on a somewhat monumental show that I saw new years eve. Phish at Madison Sq Garden. They played 3 sets all well over an hour each. One highlight I recall was Lou Reeds "Rock and Roll" to end the first set.

Second set they ripped out the trampolines, jumping and playing at the same time.  Third set they had dancers coming out in waves/groups, representing diff cultures of the world. Phish flew through the Garden in a giant hot dog and hot dog ballons were realeased everywhere. While in serious mid jam they ripped out the Star Spangled Banner and then the New Years Countdown celebration began. Beach balls size ballons everywhere littered the garden and the band that started at 8pm did not stop jamming till well after 1am.

They redefine what a jam band is and take jamming to the next level and even if your not a phan you can appreciate the playing ability and special synergy that this band has attrained. If possible I would love to do this every new years eve, I dont think you could top it :thumb:

low.pfile

« Reply #779 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:55 pm »
Friday night was Little Dragon, sold out two nights at The Independent, SF. They premiered some new music from their upcoming album. Just great.

--

Saturday night Meklit Hadero played over the bridge at the Marin JCC. Wow a show with some decent lighting. And little cabaret table with candles. Classy. What a change from the crush of warm bodies in front of the stage for Little Dragon the night before.

a few more photos [here]