Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

groovybassist

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #740 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:20 am »
Will be seeing Greg Brown at Benaroya Hall on Oct 9th.  Expect it will be a great performance - the venue is great (acoustically) as well.

decal

« Reply #741 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:28 am »
His new album came out today...

I hope you didn't get the idea that I don't like the new material.I just didn't care for the way he presented the harder electric tunes with no band.You left out the important part of my quote...
I can tell they're going to be good with his whole band but the solo renditions didn't do it for me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #742 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:09 am »
I can tell they're going to be good with his whole band but the solo renditions didn't do it for me.

I agree - I've heard the album.....solo - no go.....but with a group.... 8)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #743 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:22 am »
I agree - I've heard the album.....solo - no go.....but with a group.... 8)

I really liked Le Noise, yes it's hard & noisy but it's a different Neil Young and it's a well done recording,, sounded great on my system. It's going in the Magnum tomorrow.  :guitar:   :rock:

Cheers,
Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #744 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:50 am »

I really liked Le Noise, yes it's hard & noisy but it's a different Neil Young and it's a well done recording,, sounded great on my system. It's going in the Magnum tomorrow.  :guitar:   :rock:

Cheers,
Robin
Try these two.... :wink:

Weld.... ...and .....Arc...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #745 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:43 pm »
Calexico

and Arcade Fire

at Key Arena, Seattle WA, 9/29/10 :thumb:

This was one of the best high energy rock concerts I have seen in a while (and I attend a lot of concerts). With the exception of one song, the entire Arena was on their feet during the concert. Arcade Fire's music really came alive and I have a much greater appreciation for their songs and their talent. Everyone in the band plays more than one instrument and plays them well.

Calexico from Tucson AZ was a very good opening act. Southwestern rock with a Mexican flavor. WGH turned me on to them when I was in Tucson earlier this year.

Highly recommended!

Ruby Mae

« Reply #746 on: 2 Oct 2010, 12:46 am »
Calexico

and Arcade Fire

at Key Arena, Seattle WA, 9/29/10 :thumb:

This was one of the best high energy rock concerts I have seen in a while (and I attend a lot of concerts). With the exception of one song, the entire Arena was on their feet during the concert. Arcade Fire's music really came alive and I have a much greater appreciation for their songs and their talent. Everyone in the band plays more than one instrument and plays them well
Calexico from Tucson AZ was a very good opening act. Southwestern rock with a Mexican flavor. WGH turned me on to them when I was in Tucson earlier this year.

Highly recommended!

i am totally jelly VLI !!!  :green: 8) :lol:
miss u!

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #747 on: 5 Oct 2010, 05:37 pm »
29th Annual Savannah Jazz Festival:  Standouts were the University of North Florida Jazz Ensemble, the Savannah Jazz Orchestra and The Ben Tucker trio with guest trumpeters Markus Printup and a couple other horn guys-- the best live performance of "Caravan" I've ever heard, left the crowd begging for more-- after that performance, Spyro Gyra sounded rather dull and uninspiring so I beat the traffic out.       

nunhgrader

« Reply #748 on: 5 Oct 2010, 05:50 pm »
I went to see The Cult at the New Orleans House of Blues - they were great - the venue - not so much. Worst overcrowding I have ever experienced has always occurred in that damn place - happened for Deamous5 and Sevendust as well.Shame because the wife and I were so looking forward to seeing them - they did rock just couldn't enjoy the show with the aggravated audieance pushing and shoving to get to the bathroom and to the bar.

On a positive note, I'm going to Voodoo fest at the end of this month - cannot wait to see:

Hot Chip, Boys Noise, Interpol, Ozzy (for grins), so many others - three days of music! Weezer, MGMT, Florence and the Machine, Kascade, Innerpartysystem, Crookers, The Whigs, and so many killer local artists - if you are in the area for Voodoo (Oct. 29 - 31) - pm me!

Demarche

« Reply #749 on: 11 Oct 2010, 06:05 am »
Friday night saw the English band James @ the Wonder Ballroom. One of the best starts to a show I've seen in a long time. They had the trumpet player start off in the balcony, and the lead singer & the guitarist (well, one of the two) were in the back of the venue. They began one of their classics "Sit Down" and made their way through the crowd playing the song. The rest of the band assembled on stage and the full band was going on the final 1/3 of the song.Fantastic show all around! They did a good mix of older classics and newer songs.

If your not sure who James is, here's the song you probably know...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Uz-CC_9vw&feature=related

ken

« Reply #750 on: 15 Oct 2010, 02:43 pm »
I just saw Pat Metheny and his Orchestrion show at the Bergen Pac last Friday.  Absolutely amazing!   It's way more involved than this but It was basically Pat Metheny controlling an entire orchestra with his guitar playing and Pat himself stated it would take 2-3 hours to explain exacltly how it all worked.   I've never seen anyone's hand move up and down the neck of a guitar so fast, one of the true master guitar players out there :thumb:

http://www.patmetheny.com/orchestrioninfo/

mort

« Reply #751 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:28 pm »
Alice in chains at the key arena Seattle Wa 9/08/10. Great show. They filmed the whole thing in 3-d, amazing cameras moving all over the place. The band was on-fire (there first big show at home in several years) Long hair, big circular fans, really bright lights. extreamly high sp levels, detailed big screen videography. A true Rock and roll show. I went in with trepidation regarding the new front man but came away impressed.

Bear

« Reply #752 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:48 pm »
The Trishas,  at Gruene Hall in Gruene, TX.  During the Gruene Wine and Music festival.  Very talented group of young girls...pretty to boot.  Also saw Darrell Scott from Nahsville at the festival as well, Acoustic set with just him and a guitar, he was amazing.

decal

« Reply #753 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:29 pm »
Caught Dr. John last night at the Vinyl Music Hall in Pensacola,FL.Great show,the Lower 911 was tight and Mac was in good form,he even played some guitar.He did 4 songs from the new album "Tribal" and lots of classics.

low.pfile

« Reply #754 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:08 pm »
Finally saw LCD Soundsystem live this past weekend. From the the first couple of rows it was a great experience. Not common for many electronic music bands, the live performance added another layer to the music.

Also saw Phantogram, Miike Snow, Jamaica (Poney poney), Little Dragon, and Kruder Dorfmeister at Day 1 of Treasure Island Music Fest.

sts9fan

« Reply #755 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:37 pm »
Super jealous of the LCD show!  I was travelign when they came to Boston.

Saw Roger Watrs in Friday and it was great.  Got four Phish shows coming up this week.
Fri RI
Sat MA
Sat MA
Tues NH

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #756 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:12 am »
I just saw Joseph Arthur about five minutes from my place.  The venue was half empty  :scratch:...  It was an experience I will not forget.  Quite a talent...

ltr317

« Reply #757 on: 23 Oct 2010, 05:18 am »
I just got back a little while ago from seeing Lissie at the Hiro Ballroom in NYC.  She damaged her vocal chord a few weeks ago, and had to postpone a number of U.S. dates.  She was given medical clearance to sing tonight, and I'm sure glad she did.  She is unbelievable live, pure energy and emotion the whole concert.  The voice, oh the voice.  It's simply amazing.   I don't know how she sang so well with a damage vocal chord.  But if she sounds this good when not at her best, I can't wait to see her again when she recovers.

Sorry, for the crappy photo.  No flash on my camera phone. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #758 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:42 pm »
Friday night saw the English band James @ the Wonder Ballroom. One of the best starts to a show I've seen in a long time. They had the trumpet player start off in the balcony, and the lead singer & the guitarist (well, one of the two) were in the back of the venue. They began one of their classics "Sit Down" and made their way through the crowd playing the song. The rest of the band assembled on stage and the full band was going on the final 1/3 of the song.Fantastic show all around! They did a good mix of older classics and newer songs.

If your not sure who James is, here's the song you probably know...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Uz-CC_9vw&feature=related

My first week in London after a work related move in 1993 I was pleased to see that Neil Young was playing outside in one of the parks (not Hyde).   James was one of the opening acts, an unknown band to me at the time.  Their energy and tight powerful performance knocked my socks off!

Excellent band.  Check out the "Laid" album, my favorite.

sts9fan

« Reply #759 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:44 pm »
Saw Phish last night.  It was a pretty great show.  Lots of great tunes.  I am listening to the 24bit copy of the show now.  They give you a free mp3 of the show with your ticket but you can upgrat to Hirez for $8.  Pretty nice imho.