Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

low.pfile

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #600 on: 11 Apr 2010, 08:11 am »
Just back and unwinding from Yuri's Night Bay Area at NASA Ames Research Center.

There were a bunch of bands along with all the Space stuff. I went for The Black Keys. If you want to see a powerful 2 piece rock band check them out. I caught the rapper/actor Common before the BKs.

Right on the tarmac.

Demarche

« Reply #601 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:15 am »
Thursday night I caught The Church @ Mississippi Studios - for their 30th Annv tour. Wow what a great idea for a show and very well executed. They played 2 sets with a short break, performing one song from every major (& some minor) album they've released in reverse chronological order. So they started with Pangea from Untitled #23 and ended with Tear it All Away from their very first album, The Church.
While this was billed as an acoustic show I would call it semi-acoustic, since all they did was trade out the electric guitars for acoustic guitars. SK still used his electric bass, TP had a pretty standard drum kit, and they used a bit of keyboards as well. The result worked great. They reworked a number a songs, but the presentation in this format was much more agressive than you might expect from an acoustic show. I know when I think of an acoustic show I think of a more mellow/relaxed show. While the band seemed fairly relaxed, except maybe SK, this certainly was more of a rock show.
A great example of this was the song Invisible,which is a beatiful song from After Everything Now This. This is a soft almost delicate song, and that is how it started but about half way through they really turned it up a notch and started to really drive the song and made a couple of well placed diversions, including a verse from VU's Heroin, before the song came to a closing cresendo.
The songs for the most part were introduced along with the album, but the historical info was kept, for the most part, fairly breif. This was not a "Storytellers" show per se. The between banter was just that and not alot of reminisence. The band was in fine form and played great. They were even able to mix things up a bit on the song list even though you knew which album was up next. For instance they did The Ungaurded Moment early in the set as it was also included on El Momento Descuidado which was released in 2004. And they did come back out for a short encore set.
During the encore they talked about getting directed to youtube to see Billy Corigan perform Reptile. There was quite a bit of discussion about the "tunic" Billy was wearing in the video (you should check it out as it's a bit tough to accurately describe). But in return the did probably the best version of The Smashing Pumpkin's Disarm I've ever heard, it was stellar.   They closed the show with a great version of a particular favorite of mine, Grind from the under appreciated Gold Afternoon Fix. The venue, Mississippi Studios, is a very intimate place, it holds maybe 150 people. So, as a big fan of The Church I couldn't ask for much more.

Sorry no great pics like low.pfile posted.

low.pfile

« Reply #602 on: 15 Apr 2010, 10:02 am »
Had a blast tonight with the enchanting Yukimi of Little Dragon, with the guys too. Sweden meets understated soul meets synth.

^ played around with ISO 3200 on the S90 tonight.

waffles

• Loud is beautiful if its clean.
« Reply #603 on: 15 Apr 2010, 07:51 pm »
At Konocti? 8)

yeah. you been there? I worked backstage

pjchappy

« Reply #604 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:52 pm »
Saw Clapton in early March here in KC.  Roger Daltrey opened for him.  I forgot my camera. . . and due to some random setting on my BlackBerry, the pictures turned out crappy. :duh:

6th row, dead center stage floor tickets.  VERY cool!  It was a great show, for sure.

Paul

low.pfile

« Reply #605 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:27 pm »
Last night: The XX and Hot Chip

Amazing design in the Fox Theater Oakland. Too bad it has so much echo.

toobwacky

« Reply #606 on: 17 Apr 2010, 06:18 pm »

Last show I saw was the tribute band Led Zepagain.  Probably the next best thing to having the actual LZ up on the stage.  These guys played note perfect renditions of all the LZ hits.  To say we had a blast is an understatement.  See them if they come to your town!

Ruby Mae

« Reply #607 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:27 am »

6th row, dead center stage floor tickets.  VERY cool!  It was a great show, for sure.

Paul

wow...i'm definitely jelly!!!  8)

low.pfile

« Reply #608 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:39 am »
Tonight...

Camera Obscura at Great American Music Hall, SF.
Love it when you don't have to wear ear plugs to an amplified show!

smargo

« Reply #609 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:52 am »
the Lion King - this past friday at the academy of music in phila - a spectacular music and live acting spectacle.

Unbelievable costumes and effects and music - a must see - for kids and adults

ltr317

« Reply #610 on: 23 Apr 2010, 04:54 am »
Tonight at the NY Society for Ethical Culture: Mary Gauthier and the Cowboy Junkies.  Excellent concert and acoustics.  :thumb:  :thumb:

gongos

« Reply #611 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:38 am »
Saw Public Image Limited at the Showbox in Seattle. Love PIL, but was a little worried what I was in for since they haven't done anything in 20 years.

Ended up being one of the best show I've seen. God damn they sounded good.

Next up: Liars 5/1, A-ha in Los Angeles 5/15 & 5/16

toobluvr

« Reply #612 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:48 am »
Tonight at the NY Society for Ethical Culture: Mary Gauthier and the Cowboy Junkies.  Excellent concert and acoustics.  :thumb:  :thumb:

Saw the Junkies there years ago.  Nice venue.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #613 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:18 am »
A most excellent show it was and mighty fine seats 5 rows from the stage. Plus I had the added bonus of getting Margot Timmins' autograph on a cd and an lp, I chatted with her AND most fun of all I had my picture taken with her (thanx Paul...and I didn't need a "do over"  :lol:). What a great night! 8)

« Last Edit: 2 May 2010, 04:12 am by Ruby Mae »

mdfoy

« Reply #614 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:45 am »
We went to see Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redmond at Longwood Gardens. The concert was in the conservatory ballroom.  It was a beautiful thing.

low.pfile

« Reply #615 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:23 pm »
Last night was Stripmall Architecture, the latest project of the former Halou members. Talked to Rebecca for a bit before the show.

The big surprise was the very cool sound coming from the opening act: Geographer

At Cafe Du Nord, SF

mjosef

« Reply #616 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:25 pm »
A most excellent show it was and mighty fine seats 5 rows from the stage. Plus I had the added bonus of getting Margot Timmins' autograph on a cd and an lp, I chatted with her AND most fun of all I had my picture taken with her (thanx Paul...and I didn't need a "do over"  :lol:). What a great night! 8)

So so so..where are the pixes?...Did It really happen without pix to show?

arthurs

« Reply #617 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:27 am »
Saw Pink Martini with the Ft. Worth Symphony Orchestra tonight, just fantastic......if they're coming to your area, highly recommend them.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #618 on: 25 Apr 2010, 12:38 pm »
So so so..where are the pixes?...Did It really happen without pix to show?

no one took pix during the show...i'll post my me and margo timmins pic later martin...it's on my camera thankfully!  :lol:

low.pfile your pics are really quite nice   8)

Captain Humble

« Reply #619 on: 25 Apr 2010, 12:55 pm »
Chris Botti a couple of Thursday's ago at Nokia in Grand Prairie.
He's not just smooth jazz and the band was incredible.
Their next gig in Dallas will be at the Morton Myerson to play with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
Really looking forward to that one! :thumb: