Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

jimdgoulding

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #580 on: 10 Mar 2010, 07:21 am »
Thanks.  Don't know those.  It's been awhile for me.  Hope to change that.  Hell, yeah, I will impose upon you.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #581 on: 10 Mar 2010, 07:32 am »
Please do.

mjosef

« Reply #582 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:52 am »
Here is one I will be attending tomorrow night. Great space, all acoustic, no amplification. Reboot time for the ears/brain. Last Saturday I attended another jazz trio concert, but there was amplification, even though it was a small enough space and didn't need it.

Jaleel Shaw Trio
Jaleel Shaw, alto saxophone
Dwayne Burno, acoustic bass
Otis Brown III, drums

At the Rubin Museum of Art
http://www.rmanyc.org/harleminthehimalayas

The show was excellent, man I love that space, built to perfection.
The drummer was topnotch, full of energy with restraint, set the pace and opened the spaces.
90 minutes of pure music.

I almost went to another concert at the BAM (10pm), they had a female jazz singer I read about, but the rainy weather just made me head home.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 03:35 am by mjosef »

R_burke

« Reply #583 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm »
Hey Jim,

Our little town, in between LA & SF, has a great music scene which makes it all too easy.

Len

Especially true because San Jose seems to want to keep music out, which is fine by me.

Went and saw Salvador Santana, New Mastersounds and Trombone Shorty last weekend at the Catalyst - great show and was able to pick up the only New mastersounds CD that I didn't already have.  Looking forward to Trombone Shorty's new release in April.   :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #584 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:41 am »

Ambrose Akinmusire & Yaron Herman Project
Ambrose Akinmusire, trumpet
Yaron Hermann, piano
Joe Saunders, bass
Justin Brown, drums
Christian Howes, violin
Anastasia Sukhopara, violin
Peter Ugrin , viola
Catherine Bent, cello

Beautiful, beautiful...enjoyed this even more than last weeks concert. It was sold(oversold) out too, but I got in and just stood at the back. 
http://www.rmanyc.org/events/load/646

mikel51

« Reply #585 on: 20 Mar 2010, 02:25 pm »
Norah Jones gave a great performance in Des Moines a few weeks ago.  I liked her first recording better than later ones, but in person--it was all good.  She has a really great way of phrasing.

ltr317

« Reply #586 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:54 am »
I saw the Webb sisters last night at Joe's Pub (NYC).  They sang backup on Leonard Cohen's last two tours in 2008 and 2009.  Leonard always introduces them as the sublime Webb sisters.  I have to agree.  They have angelic voices and beautiful harmonies.  They sang mostly their own compositions which is basically English folk music, although they did do a couple of covers and Cohen's "If it be your will"

gary

« Reply #587 on: 31 Mar 2010, 04:37 am »
Vampire Weekend, tonight, in Toronto. Fucking awesome show, they are one of the best bands out there right now.

gary

ltr317

« Reply #588 on: 31 Mar 2010, 05:51 am »
Vampire Weekend, tonight, in Toronto. Fucking awesome show, they are one of the best bands out there right now.

gary

They are fellow college alumni.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #589 on: 31 Mar 2010, 06:30 am »
Cowboy Junkies at the Dakota Jazz club here in Minneapolis 10 days ago was awesome.  And I saw Michael Buble this past Sunday.  He's a real showman and puts on a good show.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #590 on: 31 Mar 2010, 06:53 am »
Carolyn Wonderland in North Houston.  She's a bad girl!

waffles

• Loud is beautiful if its clean.
« Reply #591 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:48 am »
lets see now,,,AEROSMITH, 3 DOORS DOWN, KISS, KENNY CHESNEY, TIM McGRAW, TOBY KEITH, BROOKS & DUNN, DAUGHTRY, CARRIE UNDERWOOD, MATCHBOX TWENTY, KID ROCK, NICKELBACK, CROSBY, STILLS & NASH, SHERYL CROW, WILLIE NELSON, BILL COSBY, RAY CHARLES, TRACE ADKINS, CHICAGO, MIRANDA LAMBERT, GARY ALLAN, CHRIS ISAAK, JUDAS PRIEST, THE SCORPIONS, TRAIN, BLUE OYSTER CULT,B.B. KING,
 I could go on, but Id be name-dropping, I was a stagehand at a resort, until they closed last october,  :cry:

martyo

« Reply #592 on: 31 Mar 2010, 11:33 am »
At Konocti? 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #593 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:18 pm »
Cowboy Junkies this past Saturday at the wonderful old Ohio Theater here in Cleveland.  Margo and the boys were great!  Their sound is in a real nice place now; very bluesy again.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #594 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:29 pm »
Cowboy Junkies this past Saturday at the wonderful old Ohio Theater here in Cleveland.  Margo and the boys were great!  Their sound is in a real nice place now; very bluesy again.

that makes me happy  :D i'm seeing them April 22 in NYC  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #595 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:36 am »
Seeing Armin van Buuren (trance) tonight at Roseland Ballroom.   I guess I get to act like I am a kid again.  :icon_lol: 

I have a buddy who is into trance, so I am going along.  Its an all night rave, ends 5-6am.

OzarkTom

« Reply #596 on: 4 Apr 2010, 01:32 am »
The Broadway show of Stomp is a must see. Never a word said, just the most dynamic percussion of man-made instruments you will ever see and hear.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #597 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:54 am »
Last night heard my brother in law Gil Hernandez sit in for a few songs playing his chromatic harmonica and one conga (of his six congas; space badly limited), Jeremy Nivison my web builder and media producer playing his war horse Fender bass, and Mike Christianson (Kris-CHAN-sen; head of USU's guitar program) playing his new Gibson blond jazz arch top.

All three are great musicians.  Gil sat in with some of the greatest in San Francisco in the mid 60s to late 70s and studied with African percussion experts.  Jeremy is rock solid, worked the LA circuit for years and very much reminds me of a softer/mellower version of the bass player with Blood, Sweat and Tears, whose name escapes me...Mike just plays about anything you can imagine and is super smooth, studied jazz for two years in Brazil (it's tough but someone's gotta do it) and is going back for more soon. 

The music scene here is delicious and super affordable.

I just invited and would love to get Larry Pattis here for a house concert at my place...     

stlrman

« Reply #598 on: 4 Apr 2010, 12:29 pm »
David Grey in Pittsburgh
Very nice show over all ! :thumb:

greenhouseman

« Reply #599 on: 6 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Melissa Etheridge --- Vegas sat. 4/3  --- plain and simple the girl can rock -- if you have never seen her live do not underestimate her -- i believe she is pretty special and thats from a heterosexual male :D