Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

doorman

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #440 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:28 am »
Derek Trucks band, Victoria, B.C.
Like Blues, but want a change from the standard (and boring) 3 chord progression-- look no further!
Wicked slide guitar, uber professional, polished, back-up band.
It was a treat. Oh, and they start on time too!!
Don

mjosef

« Reply #441 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:02 am »
GOtta love NY for the freebees...Yesterday on my way home, I caught the NY Philharmonic performing Mozart Symphony No.41 in C major, K.551, Jupiter
as part of their free Concerts in the Parks series.

Today, I caught Luminescent Orchestrii and the Kronos Quartet as part of the Celebrate Brooklyn concert series at Prospect Park.

ltr317

« Reply #442 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:16 am »
I second gotta love the NY freebie concerts scene.  Heard Buzzuniverse tonight at Union Square Park and bought their studio cd after the concert:

Levi went to the concert with me and bought their live cd:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #443 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:19 am »
GOtta love NY for the freebees...Yesterday on my way home, I caught the NY Philharmonic performing Mozart Symphony No.41 in C major, K.551, Jupiter
as part of their free Concerts in the Parks series.

Today, I caught Luminescent Orchestrii and the Kronos Quartet as part of the Celebrate Brooklyn concert series at Prospect Park.

Nice shows Martin.... 8)
Saturday night in the park on Long Island....the cast of Beatlemania......yeah-yeah-yeah... :guitar:  :lol:

mjosef

« Reply #444 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:43 am »
THe Kronos Quartet was sublime, they played pieces from various parts of the globe, Iraq, India, Romania, Brooklyn...and other places I can't recall. The composition from India was exceptional.

Tomorrow its Robert Cray with The Sweet Divines opening.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #445 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:50 am »
Tomorrow its Robert Cray with The Sweet Divines opening.

Nice....my son may be taking photo's there... :wink:

http://www.artistsweetsbecker.us/?goto=portfolio

mjosef

« Reply #446 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:57 am »

Nice, didn't know your son was a photographer.
Does he look like you? I will look out for him.

ltr317

« Reply #447 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:01 am »

I'm meeting up with Martin tomorrow to see the concert.  Yeah, what does your son look like?  Maybe I'll take a picture of him taking a picture of the band.   :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #448 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:03 am »

He's 5'5"....with a shaved head...but he wears a cap.
Check my gallery....there's a photo of him with two "strange friends"... :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=10027

ltr317

« Reply #449 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:07 am »
Looks like your son was at an anime convention.  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #450 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:11 am »
Looks like your son was at an anime convention.  :D
Art...photo's...music...he's everywhere...and I'm home.. :duh:

SET Man

« Reply #451 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:21 am »

Hey!

Ditto. Chris I didn't that your son is a photographer and you've never mention this. :D

Well, look like your son like to be in the music scene. Ahhh... like father like son. :D

Very nice concert pics, I like them. :thumb:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Lyndon

« Reply #452 on: 17 Jul 2009, 08:39 am »
Attended this wonderful concert last month in Springfield, Illinois.
Friday Night at the American Music Show

The HoneybeesThe Honeybees (5 PM)
Chicago?s The Honeybees play a mix of fifties rock and roll and rhythm and blues. Sounding like a female version of the Everly Brothers, The Honeybees recreate the female ?sister harmonies? of the mid-twentieth century with a just enough update to keep the 21st C. kids toes tappin?.

Bill KirchenBill Kirchen and Too Much Fun (6:30 PM)

Grammy nominated Bill Kirchen returns to Springfield and the American Music Show for 2009. Kirchen is best known for his years as lead guitarist with Commander Cody and the Lost Plant Airmen. It is Kirchen?s trademark Telecaster that you hear on Commander Cody?s hit version of Hot Rod Lincoln. Since then Kirchen has established a career as a critically acclaimed solo artist and a much in demand sideman, including a stint with Elvis Costello.

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women (8 PM)

Headlining this year?s American Music Show is Grammy award winning Dave Alvin.  The legendary founding member of the California based roots rock quartet The Blasters, retro-country act The Knitters (with members of X) and Dave Alvin and his Guilty Men continues to make American Roots music that challenges the new while paying tribute to the old. Alvin has assembled a veritable who?s who to back him on his most recent project, Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women. Following the death of long time friend and Guilty Men band mate Chris Gaffney, Alvin, looking for something different, invited seven women to join him on stage at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival last year in San Francisco. The result was nothing short of fabulous, prompting the band to release a record this spring on Yep Roc Records and tour to support it. We are very excited to be able to bring this act to the Taste of Downtown.

Dave Alvin
Joining Dave on stage will be: The Guilty Women - Cindy Cashdollar ? Dobro and steel guitarist who has shared the stage with everyone from Asleep at the Wheel and Marcia Ball to Bob Dylan and Ryan Adams; Laurie Lewis ? Fiddle, mandolin and twice named International Bluegrass Music Association vocalist of the Year; Nina Gerber ? Guitarist formerly working with Kate Wolf prior to her death; Christy McWilson ? Lead and Harmony vocals from the front women of Seattle?s The Picketts; Sarah Brown ? Bass player who has played with Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Billy Bragg and Bill Kirchen to name a few;
Amy Farris ? Violin player that has played with Ray Price, Brian Wilson, Alejandro Escovedo and Kelly Willis in addition to her solo work; Lisa Pankratz ? Drummer who started out with legendary rockabilly Ronnie Dawson and moved on to tour with The Derailers, Deke Dickerson, Hays Carll and many more.

JoshK

« Reply #453 on: 2 Aug 2009, 04:42 pm »
Went to All Points West yesterday with a neighbor. What a great concert!!  I haven't been a concert that good in a long time.

I only had the one day pass and not the whole weekend because I didn't think I'd get Friday off and because today (Sunday) in my anniversary. 

When we came into the park, the Honey Brothers were playing Queen of the Valley Stage.  They sounded pretty decent but we didn't hang out there, we were on a mission to get into the crowd for Artic Monkeys at the main Blue Comet stage.

We saw
Artic Monkeys
St. Vincent (for three songs)
Gogol Bordello
My Bloody Valentine
Tool

I have a couple of Artic Monkeys CDs and I think they are decent, but I really didn't expect that they would be so good in concert. They are good musicians and really sounded tight live.  I was impressed.

We then walked over to the Bullet Stage which was in the middle to listen to St. Vincent (former Frou Frou singer).  She sounded OK, but neither of us were really into it so we made our walk back to the main stage to work our way up front in the crowd for Tool.  We knew we would have to sacrifice and endure for a few hours in order to get up front.

When we got there Gogol Bordello, which I have never heard of, was already a few songs into their set.  Wow!  With a name like Gogol Bordello, I was thinking latin pop like Eglisias, boy were we wrong.  These guys/gals had tremendous energy and were a blast to see. 

We talked to our fellow crowd mates between the shows as we knew we were going to be there a while and no one else had heard of them either but everyone had the same impression; they were great.

Then it was My Bloody Valentine. They truely sucked and it was a chore to listen to.  Except for a few fans sprinkled about, the crowd was really not into them.  Lots of birds in the air.  MBV was overboard on the feedback, you couldn't hear a single word.  The chick stood there expressionless and without moving the whole time.  There might have been a melody somewhere in their set but it was buried in a sea of noise.  Then they actually played  10 minutes of feedback.  The crowd was getting hostile.  Fortunately I had ear plugs that they gave out at the door.  I put them in half-way through the first song.

Of course, Tool was the payday for enduring the suffocating crowd for hours.   We ended up after the Gogol set about 30 feet back and 3 feet to the left of center stage.  We were on a rail that went down the center for press, photographers and the like.  It was loud!  Tool owned.  The crowd had come to see them and they did not dissapoint.  They played a selection of songs from all their albums which was a pleasant surprise as they usually just play the latest album.  They were suppose to end at 11 but ended closer to 11:45.  They didn't really play any encores, they just played more songs without asking. 

If you've never seen Tool, they have a barrage of imagery on the various screens that encompass their set.  It includes video footage taken from their music videos, some stuff Adam Jones creates (lead guitarist and hollywood special effects artist whose CV includes Terminator 3 and Jurrasic Park).  There was also a great deal of art from Alex Grey.

http://www.alexgrey.com/

lonewolfny42

« Reply #454 on: 3 Aug 2009, 03:35 am »
Josh....A few YouTube video's from the show... :thumb:

We saw
Artic Monkeys
St. Vincent (for three songs)
Gogol Bordello
My Bloody Valentine
Tool

Artic Monkeys... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbM_J4jWmM

St. Vincent.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpXLGljqMb4

Gogol Bordello.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLWcB-eXmM

Tool... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APp1pHCNmSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KLq7rpfMEs

JoshK

« Reply #455 on: 3 Aug 2009, 04:02 am »
Thanks Chris.

Am going to have to look up Silversun Pickups on Youtube.  I really wanted to see them today but it was my anniversary and there wasn't really anyone else I cared to see. It would have been another $100, which is a little too steep for one act.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #456 on: 3 Aug 2009, 04:58 am »
Thanks Chris.

Am going to have to look up Silversun Pickups on Youtube.  I really wanted to see them today but it was my anniversary and there wasn't really anyone else I cared to see. It would have been another $100, which is a little too steep for one act.

My son just got back from All Points short time ago...he went Sat. and Sun.
.....free weekend pass for band photo's....said today was really a mud fest because of the rain.... :?

You might check here... for some photo's...(I think that's where he posts them...)

stereocilia

« Reply #457 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:47 pm »
Depeche Mode on Friday at the Comcast center.  My wife led the way on this one, she's been a fan since the mid-80s.  Impressive display of talent and theatrics, and I was surprised at how much fun these guys are live.  My only gripe is that too many times the crowd was called upon to sing, but some might find that to be a feature instead of a flaw.

Peter Bjorn and John opened; they brung it, too.  Sweden should be proud.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Nostalgia kick and good fun show -- Blondie and Pat Benetar.
« Reply #458 on: 5 Aug 2009, 12:55 pm »
They both have lost a little off the top of their vocal range and gained a few facial wrinkles.  Their curves have drooped a bit and extra rolls have appeared.

But you know what?  They are still damn sexy to this 46 year old especially because they are comfortable in their own skins.  Pat can still project her magnificent voice and Debbie is clearly having fun with this gig.  You forget how many hits they had as they both rolled out one hit after another.  They both made me forget about sound quality and just get lost in their music.  Fun times and my 7 year daughter is now a Blondie fan.  She likes Pat too but Blondie's music, she says, is more danceable.  Blondie closed out her encore set with the "Thriller".  No eulogy, no explanation, just the song.  It worked.  It was a nice tribute to what Michael was all about -- king of pop.  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #459 on: 5 Aug 2009, 01:44 pm »
I'm supposed to attend a private party this weekend to see Mike Keaneally at someone's house. Mike is making himself available for a limited number of these private engagements: http://www.keneally.com/

I'll give a report afterwards. This should be pretty cool!