Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

Crimson

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #380 on: 8 Nov 2008, 05:52 pm »
I saw NIN this past Thursday at the HOB in Atlantic city. There were no props, screens, or any other eye-candy, but this was possibly the best performance I've seen of theirs; very tight, great sound, and the energy was just incredible. And to top it off, we were treated to a surprise performance by Peter Murphy.

Demarche

« Reply #381 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:13 pm »
Last night @ the Crystal Ballroom. I don't agree with the review that was posted on the Oregonian website. They did struggle with the sound, especially the drums but otherwise a great show. The bands played great sets, the crowd loved them both. And with an encore that included 'Lawyers, Guns, & Money', a great night of rock 'n roll.

Charivari

« Reply #382 on: 22 Dec 2008, 06:56 pm »
The opposite of the big names here: a local tuba quartet that's been playing together for 25 years doing a "Tuba Christmas". Not bad at all and "Donna Nobis Pacem" was arranged very well for tubas only.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #383 on: 22 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm »
Austin City Limits on Sunday night.

Gillian Welch, Flyleaf, Xavier Rudd, Neko Case, Shooter Jennings, Blues Traveler, South Austin Jug Band, Gnarls Barkley, Silver Sun Pickups, The Raconteurs, Kevin Fowler, Band of Horses, Foo Fighters.
You gettin around real good there, Se7en.  Get ready for March!  Saw Ruthie Foster at a Songbird Society concert in an historical residence in the Montrose section of Houston.  SS is a bunch of wine happy acoustic music freaks.  Good vibes and that women can raise the roof with her voice!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #384 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:01 am »
Wrong post for wrong thread so i moved it. :oops:
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2008, 01:44 am by satfrat »

toobluvr

« Reply #385 on: 23 Dec 2008, 01:34 am »

The Felice Brothers, Saturday night, at the Bearsville Theater in Woodstock NY.

These boys know how to energize a room!
Highly recommended.....check 'em out if you get the chance.

:thumb:

Ruby Mae

« Reply #386 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:53 pm »

The Felice Brothers, Saturday night, at the Bearsville Theater in Woodstock NY.

These boys know how to energize a room!
Highly recommended.....check 'em out if you get the chance.

:thumb:

A slight correction to your post Mr. Toobluvr...the Bearsville Theater is in Bearsville, NY.
 :duh:

An amazing show though!!! Can't wait to see them again.

:dance:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #387 on: 25 Dec 2008, 08:23 am »
The address is 291 Tinker St. , Woodstock,N.Y.... :wink:

A slight correction to your post Mr. Toobluvr...the Bearsville Theater is in Bearsville, NY.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #388 on: 26 Dec 2008, 07:46 pm »
There seems to be confusion about the address so I contacted the theater and was told
"Bearsville, though the street address is Woodstock, due to the fire department".

:scratch:

Anyway, it is a great, intimate venue for live music! 

Folsom

« Reply #389 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:25 am »
Rapeslaw. Amazing.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #390 on: 2 Feb 2009, 07:51 pm »
CYNIC & Meshuggah...  One of the best Metal shows I've ever seen! Cynic was one of the pioneers of Progressive Death Metal - They have a huge jazz influence, so it makes for a really unique style.  Amazing.

Captain Humble

« Reply #391 on: 7 Feb 2009, 12:41 pm »
Last night - House of Blues - Dallas, TX
Dr. John and the Neville Brothers

Dr. John:
I saw him a couple of years ago at the House of Blues in New Orleans and would prefer to remember him as he was that night.

I've seen these guys many times and once again they rocked the house!!!!!!!!!  :banana piano:
Not only are they the reining KINGS of New Orleans Funk and Mardi Gras Music but they did a couple of jazz tunes that blew my hair back.  Great artists!!!!!! Great Show!!!!! Thanks Gentlemen  :thumb:

grillebilly

« Reply #392 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:44 pm »
I go to honky-tonks primarily, last week was a Buddy Holly tribute at The Surf Club . J P McDermott hosted the show, he also spoke at the Smithsonian that day as he is an expert on BH. There was about 10 different line-ups, some mix and match, of DC area roots music greats. Washington has long been known as a roots town. Many of the bands here still play rockabilly.

WGH

« Reply #393 on: 8 Feb 2009, 08:16 pm »
It was a hot night at the Barrio Brewery, no stinkin' depression is going to stop us from having fun! Both the Flame Off and the Brewery were packed.

We started the night at the Sonoran Glass Art Academy's Flame Off! 2009!! with 24 glass artists competing against the clock to create the wildest, most innovative glass art creations in wearable art, marbles, and goblets/vessels.

Then we went next door for a microbrew and listen to The Tryst, a local indie band with jazz, soul, and Latin influences.

A good time was had by all.

Wayne

The Barrio Brewery has 10 to 12 very special microbrews on tap.

The Tryst

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #394 on: 13 Feb 2009, 11:53 pm »

Looking forward to see this guy......... this coming Tuesday  8:00 PM at  Blue Note  NYC

Show Information:http://www.bluenote.net/newyork/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=6498

richidoo

« Reply #395 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:31 pm »

http://www.hilaryhahn.com/
I saw Hillary Hahn play UNC Memorial Hall last night. She was stunningly beautiful in a dark gold glittery gown. I did not know what the program would be like, I assumed the typical symphonic concerto warhorse like Tchaikovsky or Brahms, but was thrilled when I walked in to see only a 9 foot Steinway on the stage. I said to my wife, "This is gonna be good..."  8)

She started with a solo Sonata by Eugène Ysaÿe, then Charles Ives duet, more Ysayes, Brahms Hungarian Dances. During the intermission I overheard a guy insisting that "the Brahms was the only thing any good in the whole first set." haha

Hahn is an intellectual, chooses music that is a bit heady, but plays it well. My wife and I LOVED the Ysaye pieces. We had fun joking around after the concert trying to decide how to pronounce it. haha 

2nd set was mostly more of the same. 2 pieces by Ives, another Ysaye, ending it all with the jewel of the evening Barktok dances arranged by Joseph Joachim. After 3 ovations,  she played an encore, I don't know what it was, but it was an easy listening romantic duet, probably what many of the patrons hoped to hear. Program details.

It was great to see one of the worlds top 3 violinists playing solo recital at the peak of her power.

I saw Julie Fischer (another top 3) last summer with an orchestra, playing the Glazunov Concerto. She was truly awesome. I felt like I was in the presence of a great master. But Hahn was very different. She was more real, very humble yet powerful. It was harder work to keep up with her, but the rewards for concentrating were great.

She is playing this chamber duo show in eastern US over the next month. I recommend it if you like modern era composers played to the highest potential. That's a rare occurance.
Rich

Here's a taste of her playing Bach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipue07cmykM

Demarche

« Reply #396 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:32 am »
Big Head Todd & the Monsters Thursday night @ Jannus Landing. Nice venue, outdoors in downtown St. Pete. It's kind of a courtyard area between some older 2-4 story buildings. It was a good set. I hadn't seen them in about 10 years. The band had a good energy and the set list was good. not too reliant on older material. The new songs stood up well with they're older stuff.

arthurs

« Reply #397 on: 22 Feb 2009, 02:46 pm »
A few of us went and saw Vienna Teng last night in a small film studio, maybe held 125 people...just her and her producer (Alex Wong playing multiple percussion instruments and an assortment of others) phenomenal venue and a really fantastic show by a very talented singer/songwriter pair....they are heading out on tour, look for this show it's definitely worth going to...http://viennateng.com/

low.pfile

« Reply #398 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:55 am »
The French Kicks @ The Independent in SF last night. Part of the Noise Pop festival. Their set was too short though.

low.pfile

« Reply #399 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:20 am »
Hey it's me again.  Estelle at Mezzanine, SF. Fun performance. Fun crowd. The Mezzanine's sound stinks (to put it mildly)