Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

bummrush

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #340 on: 13 May 2008, 08:12 pm »
Santana,a few weeks ago

rockadanny

« Reply #341 on: 30 May 2008, 04:04 pm »
Adrian Belew (Power Trio). Unreal. A religious experience. Music was fabulous. Adrian = monster power and tone. One of the most creative and enjoyable shows I've seen in my life. I now hate all other musicians and all of my CDs. All I want to do is follow them around the country and listen to their music. I don't think I'll recover from this obsession, nor want to.
A twenty-something brother (drums) and sister (bass) fill out the trio. I mean no disrespect, but these kids' mother must have concieved them with Scott Lafaro and Buddy Rich while listening to music from Jaco Pastorius and Keith Moon. It is the only explanation to their enormous talent.

low.pfile

« Reply #342 on: 2 Jun 2008, 02:04 am »
R.E.M.  @ UC Greek Theatre, Berkeley, CA
Saturday, May 31, 2008

Best sound I've heard at a concert that size. Great performance by the whole band. A classic.
27 songs in about 2 hours.

Demarche

« Reply #343 on: 14 Jun 2008, 04:11 pm »
A beautiful Friday the 13th on the lawn @ McMenamin's Edgefield for Spoon, with The Presidents of the USA, & Nada Surf. The bands all put on a good show. Spoon even brought a horn section with them. The horns were great. They even used them on some of the older songs from Kill the Moonlight, which really added a different dimension to those songs. Spoon's set was short & sweet, opening with Don't You Evah to the final encore of the Stone's Rocks Off was < an hour & 1/2.

simoon

« Reply #344 on: 17 Jun 2008, 04:44 am »
Return to Forever Friday the 13th at the Universal Amphitheater (now called the Gibson).

What an awesome show! Chick, Al, and Stanley were at the top of their game!

Lenny White however was a little shaky. He was the only member that I had questions about his abilities holding up, and unfortunately I was right.

Chick was mentioning that they are having so much fun and they all feel so rejuvenated by playing together, they were getting "serious". Hopefully they will stay together and Lenny will work on his chops! After all, he used to be one of the best drummers on the planet!

mikel51

« Reply #345 on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:10 pm »
Sharon Little

Stopped by one of our favorite restaurants in Des Moines for an after hours show.  I had never heard of her, but the local radio station (106.3) had an interview with her at about the time we were driving home from work.  Stacey and I both heard this on our respective drives home and said why not go to the Flying Mango for dinner.

I was floored.  She has amazing dynamic range and communicates a wonderful emotion.  This has to be one of the best concerts I've seen. The guitar player, Scott Saxon, was also excellent and was a huge factor in creating the mood of the music.

They are currently opening the show for Robert Plant and Alison Kraus.  I am a big fan of both of those musicians, but I would find it hard to believe that they would top Sharon and Scott.

TRM

« Reply #346 on: 26 Jun 2008, 09:11 pm »
it's been a slow couple of months but here's what I've recently and have on the list

May 8 - Wilco Colorado Springs
June 14th - Drive-By Truckers Westword music fest, downtown Denver streets
June 24th - Mark Knopfler Red Rocks

3 nights of Widespread Panic at Red Rocks this weekend

July 1st, Stevie Wonder at Fiddler's Green

July 18th moe. at the Fox Theater in Boulder

July 19th New Mastersounds outdoors on Main Street in Breckenridge, CO
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2008, 11:12 pm by TRM »

kehut

« Reply #347 on: 26 Jun 2008, 09:48 pm »
Steely Dan Summer 2008 Tour at Verizon Ampitheater in Atlanta, GA.

Rashiki

« Reply #348 on: 26 Jun 2008, 10:23 pm »
Jude at the Hotel Utah Saloon in San Francisco, June 20th.

It's a really small venue. I'm guessing there were only 50-60 people there for the show. I've been spoiled by this kind of show and I've decided to only go to shows where there are less than a couple hundred tickets.

Sorry for the poor photo quality -- it was taken with a cellphone camera with no flash and no zoom.

-Rob

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #349 on: 27 Jun 2008, 01:07 am »
The Doobie Brothers and Chicago this past weekend, 6/20/08 at Charter One Pavilion, Northerly Island (former Mig's Field) in downtown Chicago.

The Doobie's were excellent and started off the show and then Chicago came out after that. Chicago seemed to really be showing their age that night. At the end the Doobie Brothers came back out on stage and joined Chicago for a couple of songs. I felt that was the best Chicago sounded all evening. Overall it was a very enjoyable concert.

FYI- Anyone wanting to see a show at Charter One Pavilion. It's a great venue and I would be hard pressed to say there's a bad seat in the house. Some are just better than others. I would definitely say it's a good place to hear a live performance.

Demarche

« Reply #350 on: 2 Jul 2008, 04:26 pm »
Saw Mark Knopfler last night. The show was good, although the vocals sounded a bit muddy. Maybe it's me but I think he's starting to show his age, he is 60 after all. It wasn't necessarily a short set by any means. It went 2hrs. His guitar playing is still simply outstanding. The parts of the show I found lacking were actually with the Dire Staits songs, most of which he spoke the lyrics more than sang. It almost felt like he wanted to get the lyrics out of the way so he could concentrate on the solos. Of course, part of it could be that I am much more a Dire Straits fan than a fan of his solo work. Don't get me wrong his solo albums are still very good, just given the choice I would grab Love Over Gold or Dire Straits to listen to on any given day over Kill To Get Crimson or Shangri-La.

yooper

« Reply #351 on: 2 Jul 2008, 06:45 pm »
Not a show per say... but a (drum) clinic.  Steve Smith did a clinic at The Arc in Ann Arbor, MI a couple weeks ago.  I realize not many people know who he is, but for those that do... you know what a treat it was. 

I had a fantastic time which made for a very memorable experience.   

I was able to get an autograph and a picture with him too :thumb:

Good times!

Mark

lofreek

« Reply #352 on: 2 Jul 2008, 06:55 pm »
Return To Forever at the Fox in St. Louis on 6-17. Fantastic!

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #353 on: 2 Jul 2008, 07:05 pm »
Maceo Parker outdoors at a resort near Alpine Meadows, CA.
Real intimate and really good sound.
Fun :thumb:

nhpm510

• Trading refs: A'gon, Emo boards same user name
« Reply #354 on: 4 Jul 2008, 06:57 pm »
Went to the Dave Matthews Concert at Nissan Pavillion.  Fairly good acoustics for a mediocore seat (section 305).
Parking and access, not so good.

Beers $10/24 oz.

Dave and the boys were a little slow out of the gate but by the end they were alive and full of energy.
Guitarist Tim Reynolds was a nice audtions but a little too heavy on the electric guitar.

low.pfile

« Reply #355 on: 7 Jul 2008, 11:54 pm »
On my way to the Paramount in Oakland to see Yaz (Yazoo for those on the other side of the pond). Amazing the longevity of a band with only 2 albums in the 2 years of their existence!

Long live the synth!

chadh

« Reply #356 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:30 am »
Return To Forever at the Fox in St. Louis on 6-17. Fantastic!

Yeah, I caught them at the Freedom Hill Amphitheater in Detroit on the 21st of June.  Oh Lordy, were they good! 

They played two sets, plus an encore.  Most of the second set was acoustic, which really surprised me.  But it allowed each of them to play an extended solo piece.  Lenny White's solo was pretty decent, but each time he really started to get wild he hit the brakes.  Regardless, he produced ludicrous amounts of power throughout the show.  Chick Corea's solo piece was superb, as one would expect.  Al DiMeola brought the house down with some mind blowing latin licks.  I know he often gets a bad rap for being all technique and no soul, but I really love to hear him play.  The high point of the show, however, was Stanley Clarke's lengthy acoustic bass solo.  I kid you not, he matched Al DiMeola for speed, execution and  inventiveness.  And nobody will ever accuse this guy of having no soul.  He was wonderful.

For guys that hadn't played together for 25 years, they certainly hadn't forgotten how to mesh musically into a cohesive unit.  While each of them soloed magnificently and often, I think the things I will remember most about this show were the interchanges between them.  In a very natural way, these little conversations seemed to emerge out of the music - and it didn't matter whether it was Al "talking" to Chick, or Lenny to Stanley, or Chick  to Stanley, or Stanley to Al, there was this constant but exhilarating interplay that they made to seem so natural.  I'm not sure why, but I have this sneaking suspicion that this is something that Chick Corea in particular fosters, and I think the majority of these "conversations" involved him.

Anyway, for anyone who still has the chance to catch this tour, don't hesitate for a moment.  BUY THE TICKETS.  This comes from someone who owns only one RTF album, and decided to catch the show only because it seemed like an event of historical significance.  Live, they are way, way, WAY better than the studio recordings I've heard.

Chad

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #357 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:52 am »
Boz Skaggs @ Wolf Trap(VA) - June 15th 2008

I heard the Silk Degrees album so many times when my Mom was dancing around the house drinking wine....I had to see him live. He sounded SPOT-ON like he does on the albums....unreal. I couldn't believe it and to boot....that guy can really play guitar. The sessions players he has(HAD) on tour with him were excellent and I had no idea he was an original member of the Steve Miller Band.

It was an excellent concert and if you ever have the chance to see a concert at Wolf Trap, DO IT. It's a beautiful venue and the acoustics are outstanding. The ingress/egress from the location is directly linked to the highway and that can make a world a difference at the end of the night. It's also CLEAN....as in, you're not afraid to touch things.

If anyone makes it down this way for a concert, drop me a line. I forgot all about Ani DiFranco playing there tonight....ugh.

www.wolftrap.com

Mark

RodMCV

« Reply #358 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:01 pm »
Last nite  A Desert Cloud Burst over the Sandia Pueblo Resort  Open air Amphitheater at 6 PM
Flooding the area,
Lightening where the light and sound are there at the same time made me jump off the floor at home.
By 8pm all was well and Steely Dan hit the stage.
Playing Asia at 9:30, the group was flawless as the full moon rose over the stage and we started the second Margaritas.

A most memorable Nite!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #359 on: 23 Jul 2008, 02:43 pm »
Saw Mark Knopfler last night. The show was good, although the vocals sounded a bit muddy. Maybe it's me but I think he's starting to show his age, he is 60 after all. It wasn't necessarily a short set by any means. It went 2hrs. His guitar playing is still simply outstanding. The parts of the show I found lacking were actually with the Dire Staits songs, most of which he spoke the lyrics more than sang. It almost felt like he wanted to get the lyrics out of the way so he could concentrate on the solos. Of course, part of it could be that I am much more a Dire Straits fan than a fan of his solo work. Don't get me wrong his solo albums are still very good, just given the choice I would grab Love Over Gold or Dire Straits to listen to on any given day over Kill To Get Crimson or Shangri-La.

I saw him last night at Wolf Trap and he was good with his guitar.  It did sound as if they put instrument first and vocals second in their set up.  I was right in the acoustic center in house but vocals were still blurred and overpowered by instruments.  Still, it was a good show.