Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

Docutech

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #260 on: 3 Aug 2007, 01:16 am »
Saw Bruce Hornsby and the Range a couple of weeks ago.  It was a free concert as part of the Live on the Levee celebration.  The concert was riverside under the Arch downtown Saint Louis.  Great performance! 

Here are a few pictures from the show:

TONEPUB

« Reply #261 on: 3 Aug 2007, 01:39 am »
Going to see Crowded House and the new Cars next month....

Scott F.

« Reply #262 on: 3 Aug 2007, 01:56 am »
Hiya Jeff,

If you don't boo when they play Chocolate Cake, I'll be really disappointed.  :wink: I wish they were coming to St Louis, I'd love to see them. They are one of my favorite 80's bands  :green:

Going to see Crowded House and the new Cars next month....

martyo

« Reply #263 on: 15 Aug 2007, 02:37 pm »
BELA FLECK AND THE FLECKTONES PABST THEATRE MILWAUKEE 8/10/07

My 1st Bela show. Attended with my 20 year old daughter. Before hand she commented that she wished it was Alison Krause we were seeing. The Pabst is a beautiful intimate (1300 people) theatre built in 1895. We were in the 2nd row of the mezzanine, just left center. I only knew 3 tunes they played, Scratch 'n Sniff, Earth Jam, and Lochs of Dread.  3-4 tunes into it my daughters comment was "better than I expected". At the break she commented "I like them, but I don't think I get it all". What stood out for her was Victor's solo. It was very energetic and entertaining. After Futureman's solo opening of the 2nd set, came an extended version of Lochs of Dread, very "stoney", possibly the highlight for me. Really, pretty much the whole show was a highlight for me. I'm not a huge fan of individual solo's, but Bela's was outstanding and Victor humorously created a loop, and then played live to the loop he created.
The show was maybe alittle more layed back than what I expected, but that's not a complaint. They are great musicians, both loose and tight. They create very unique textures and tones. They shine as individuals but are even greater as a group.
After the show my daughters comment was that they were all great musicians, especially Bela.
The only problem was from where we were sitting Bela was a little low in the mix, my daughter even noticed that.
Just a quality show and from now on when Bela is in the area, I will be there.
This is serious fun!!!   aa

Captain Humble

« Reply #264 on: 26 Aug 2007, 03:51 pm »
Hey Cap'n,

My buddy Joe Terry usually plays keyboard for Tommy. Was he with him this tour?

We saw these guys too the night before, up here in St Louis

A couple of weeks ago we saw a terrific show put on by Michael Martin Murphy out at a place called Wildwood Springs Resort. This is a lodge built out in mid-Missouri in the middle of the woods. Bob (the owner) books all kinds of great acts and holds the concerts in the lobby. It seats about 150 people.

Heres a couple of pics I took while we were there.

His voice is still as great as it was back in the 70's. It was just him and his guitar singing Cowboy songs.
Sorry Scott, I just saw your post.
No backup of any kind.
Also saw him about a year ago.  No backup that time either.
Just guitars!

GregC

« Reply #265 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:25 pm »
My wife and I just saw the Beatles, 1964 Tribute at the Red Rocks in Morrison, CO last night.  The weather was perfect and the band put on a great show.  They have been together 23 years and do a very authentic rendition of the Beatles.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #266 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:34 pm »
Next weekend I will get to see Wilco twice at the Filmore Auditorium in Denver, CO.

Should be sweet!!!

George

GregC

« Reply #267 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:49 pm »
George,

ABBA (a tribute band called The Awakening) will be playing at the Red Rocks on Sept. 27 so that should be a good time.  They are even flying in some of the original ABBA band members for the show.  The group has toured through 20 countries aand received good reviews.  They will perform more than 20 of the greatest hits.

low.pfile

« Reply #268 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:58 pm »
last sunday in SF.... The Puppini Sisters (UK). lots of fun. Check em out near you. Even got to meet em backstage.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #269 on: 26 Aug 2007, 09:00 pm »

1. EST
2. Porcupine Tree (Twice)
3. Dream Theater

Next up Chicago Jazz Festival..

60srok

« Reply #270 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:47 am »
Cowboy Junkies

Britt Music Festival, Jacksonville, Oregon

Captain Humble

« Reply #271 on: 29 Aug 2007, 12:31 am »

Last night.
Bass Hall in Fort Worth.
Packed house.
Excellent sound.
81 and still going strong.
An evening that my wife and I won't forget.
He deserves all of the accolades that he's received and more.
WHAT A TREAT!
Thanks Mr. Bennett. :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown:
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2007, 12:28 pm by Captain Humble »

JoshK

« Reply #272 on: 29 Aug 2007, 01:20 am »

1. EST
2. Porcupine Tree (Twice)
3. Dream Theater

Next up Chicago Jazz Festival..

Nice...love to see PT and/or DT.... I had a chance to buy DT tickets recently when they came to NYC but $185/ea....ouch!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #273 on: 29 Aug 2007, 01:48 am »
We saw Chris Isaak At the Nugget in Sparks NV. last Sat. night. Great, great, great concert. He did four encore's. Jumping and jamming for two solid hours. Don't get no better than a Chris Isaak concert.

Sunday we saw "Dancing Queen" at the El Dorado in Reno NV. Show is based on the music of Abba. They also threw in some Bee Gee's songs as well as "YMCA" and other tunes. Wonderful show. Very talented group.

Cheers
                              Charlie

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #274 on: 1 Sep 2007, 04:21 pm »
If anyone is in the Detroit area, it's a great weekend for FREE live music downtown at the Detroit Jazz Festival.  We caught Herbie Hancock last night and are looking forward to Dave Brubeck, Pancho Sanchez and organissimo today.

And tonight ... Medeski Martin & Wood along with John Scofield!!  :drool:

www.detroitjazzfest.com

chadh

« Reply #275 on: 2 Sep 2007, 04:00 am »
If anyone is in the Detroit area, it's a great weekend for FREE live music downtown at the Detroit Jazz Festival.  We caught Herbie Hancock last night and are looking forward to Dave Brubeck, Pancho Sanchez and organissimo today.

And tonight ... Medeski Martin & Wood along with John Scofield!!  :drool:

www.detroitjazzfest.com

It seems you suffered some of the same kind of frustration I had:  Pancho Sanchez was scheduled at the same time as Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood and the Kenny Garrett Quartet.  I guess I know which act you saw.

I caught the last tune, plus the encore of Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood set.  They sounded great.  But I have to say that I think I made the right choice.  I skipped most of their show, as well as Pancho Sanchez, and caught the Kenny Garrett Quartet instead.  Once again, Kenny Garrett blew me away.  I don't think there's anybody in the world I would rather hear live.

It was a short set: just on an hour.  That meant he only played five tunes.  And despite getting thunderous applause for ages, and a standing ovation, we missed out on an encore.  But what we did get was brilliant.  I'm not sure who was playing bass (it wasn't Nat Reeves, who normally fills that role), but Benito Gonzalez played piano and Jamaire Williams the drums.  Where does Kenny Garrett find this steady stream of brilliant, powerful and supremely musical drummers?

Anyway, I heartily recommend Kenny Garrett to everybody in the whole world, unless you have a weak heart and undue excitement might finish you off.

The next show I'm looking forward to is The Bad Plus, in Ann Arbor on September 20.

Chad

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #276 on: 2 Sep 2007, 07:59 am »
Just saw Wilco play at the Filmore in Denver and they smoked the place!!!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Acoustics were ok, but they played with a ton of fire, emotion, and drive.

I was especially impressed by the guitar play of Nels, Jeff, and Pat.  This trio was able to do everything from acoustic guitar work to some flaming electric guitar that was lightning fast!   :guitar:

Can't wait to see them again tomorrow night. 

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #277 on: 3 Sep 2007, 02:17 pm »
Just saw Wilco play at the Filmore in Denver and they smoked the place!!!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Acoustics were ok, but they played with a ton of fire, emotion, and drive.

I was especially impressed by the guitar play of Nels, Jeff, and Pat.  This trio was able to do everything from acoustic guitar work to some flaming electric guitar that was lightning fast!   :guitar:

Can't wait to see them again tomorrow night. 

George

Saw Wilco again last night at the Filmore...

This show had a totally different vibe to it and was a lot more subdued.  While the crowd was clearly smaller (hard to believe Wilco can't sell out a small auditorium in Denver :scratch:), it also had less energy and seemed to just go with the music, rather than push the band like it did the previous night.

Only about half of the setlist was a repeat from Saturday night's show and it was filled with more acoustic and "slower" material.  They played quite a few songs from the their first few cd's (AM and Being There) which was really cool!

All in all, a great two nights and definitely worth the trip out to Denver.   :thumb: :thumb:

George

sts9fan

« Reply #278 on: 4 Sep 2007, 05:41 pm »
Wilco is F'n great live.  I was luckyu and saw them three times in June and all the shows were wonderfull.  the Boston show was the best though because they played early stuff.  Still no Kingpin though  :cry:

sunshinedawg

« Reply #279 on: 4 Sep 2007, 06:24 pm »
These were two great shows. George really hit the nail on the head. They were so different from the first night to the second night. I pretty much danced all night to the music at the first show, while I just sat back and listened at the 2nd. It is so great that they play a lot of different music from show to show. It really gives you a great reason to see them back to back.