Emotiva Power Line FIlters - CMX

Rclark

Emotiva Power Line FIlters - CMX
« on: 1 May 2012, 03:55 am »
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx6

$119 shipped.

They have a two outlet version as well. Definitely giving this one a try. Apparently good at removing hum in system from bad power.

wushuliu

Re: Emotiva Power Line FIlters - CMX
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2012, 04:38 am »
But how is it different from cheaper line conditioners that also do common mode filtering? For half the price you can get the 4 outlet APC units at Amazon, and those come with toroids for voltage regulation.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2012, 04:40 am »
 I dunno, just found out about it, reading the forums over there right now. They seem pretty nice. They aren't one to overcharge for something, so far.

"a true high current, audiophile quality, power distribution system"

the emphasis I heard on the Emo podcast was hum reduction ala humbuster. I'm assuming while delivering enough juice to run their big XPA-1 amps at no loss of performance.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2012, 06:30 am »
2/3 of my system is battery powered already (take that OzarkTom), I was thinking of putting one of these on my Emotiva ERC-2 until I can clear funds for one of Doug S's recommended ebay hospital-grade-but-ugly balanced transformers.

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2012, 08:42 pm »
Why would this be different then other filters. Get the bullsh$t out. Balanced power tranformers or pure power is the only way to go if you ask me.

Mike82

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2012, 08:50 pm »
Get a Powervar or Topaz isolation transformer off Ebay for under $100.  It will way outperform the Emotiva.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2012, 08:51 pm »
Why would this be different then other filters. Get the bullsh$t out. Balanced power tranformers or pure power is the only way to go if you ask me.

It certainly looks slick, though. Gotta give Emotiva credit, they've come up with a great aethetic. Let's be honest - these are made for the Emotiva buyers who already have their gear and think the strip will look great with everything else. The fact that the product page is buried in accessories with no explanation of what sets it apart and no detailed specs, along with a 'discount' price says enough for me.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2012, 08:53 pm »
Get a Powervar or Topaz isolation transformer off Ebay for under $100.  It will way outperform the Emotiva.

Well I had a Powervar and there were hum issues. So better to buy something new that is returnable just in case.

Mike82

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2012, 09:03 pm »
Well I had a Powervar and there were hum issues. So better to buy something new that is returnable just in case.

The Powervars, especially the newer ones,  are pretty immune to hum so long as you are not operating them at their limit, ie, using current hungry amps on a 5 or 6 amp unit. Typically a 2 amp on the digital front end will get you the biggest sonic benefit. If you want to plug your amps into a IT, then pick up a 15 amp IT/BPS.  But I’ve had these in the past and found the little IT on the digital pretty much cleans things up. 

Of course, this assumes you are using a dedicated circuit which is clearly the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can make to your system.

Mike82

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2012, 09:05 pm »
This is a good series of videos to watch that compares different type of PLCs and what they do/don’t do.

http://www.powervar.com/education_details.php?id=2

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2012, 10:33 pm »
Does anyone else have reservations about using circuit breakers for audio equipment protection?  AFAIK they're good at preventing fires, not so good at protecting sensitive equipment.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2012, 11:40 pm »
 Huh, I dunno guys, like I said, all Emotiva's stuff is bang for buck, so I can't imagine these things aren't worth what they're charging.

Thanks for the link Mike. All in all, I might just wait. Doug says you can get a bpt for around $400. Then again, I might try one of these.

soundbitten1

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2012, 11:47 pm »
I ordered a CMX-6 a few days ago. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

gooberdude

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2012, 11:57 pm »
Just to add another option, about a week ago I added an old OPTI-UPS 1500C-RM to power my entire system and couldn't be happier.   I hoarked it from the office as we got a huge new APC UPS that uses 4 car batteries.  The little 1500 powers my 35wpc tube amp, 400W sub amp, tube preamp, mac mini, dac, dcx2496 and occasionally a 42" plasma tv.

The odd part is there's no improvement by using the batteries, no change whatsoever & the batts run out in 20-30 mins.  This $200 UPS outputs a perfect sine wave to 8 outlets, so I run it in AC mode.

My loft has a thorough alan maher emi/rfi/harmonic ringing eliminating system installed, didn't think more ac conditioning was needed as my Noisesniffer is dead silent.  This 10 yr old dusty 1000W battery back-up has me shaking my head & enjoying a much lower noise floor & improved imaging.     :thumb:

matt

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2012, 12:11 am »
I ordered a CMX-6 a few days ago. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

sweet  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2012, 01:28 am »
Well...it looks like a poor man's Felix in series with a powerstrip. The filter itself looks less sophisticated than the Felix, which is very similar to design as the uber expensive Audience power filters. Not for me given that Felix exists, I use it in my projects, and Occam has graciously donated the design in the spirit of DIY.

You want to DIY? Then build this Felix:

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=13384

Into one of these:

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=1038&group_id=2&hit_cat=

You want a cheaper Version of a BPT balanced power, and you don't need 1KVA?

Look into this:
http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=34

You have money to spare and you want some of the best, then connect your favorite Furman or Torus  or BPT to this (available right here on AC)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue47/uber_buss.htm

You want to built your own balanced power conditioner, cause you can't find it used or you want to customize? Look into this:

http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_Blitz.html

Take charge! Just don't get charged!  :lol:

Best,

Anand.

Mike82

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2012, 02:04 am »
The odd part is there's no improvement by using the batteries, no change whatsoever & the batts run out in 20-30 mins.  This $200 UPS outputs a perfect sine wave to 8 outlets, so I run it in AC mode.
matt

I seriously doubt this unit puts out a “perfect sine wave”.  At that price point, UPS typically put out quasi square waves which may help computers to function, but these square waves are not desirable for audio.  I’d look at the video series I linked above.

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2012, 02:11 am »
taken from Emotiva's Facebook:

"
I thought you were not supposed to plug Emo Amps and Pre's into a line conditioner. Is this true?
April 26 at 3:29pm via mobile · Like.

Emotiva Audio This is not a "line conditioner". The CMX-6 is a high current power distribution hub with extensive EMI/RFI filtering (the kind of filtering that Emotiva believes in!). It is specifically designed for high power electronics and can support is maximum rated load current indefinitely. There are no "sacrificial" components such as MOV's in the design. This should not be confused with a power strip! :)
April 26 at 3:42pm · Like · 1.

Emotiva Audio BTW, the included IEC power cord is a very flexible and rugged 14 gauge custom made unit, 2 meters in length! The units use a resetable magnetic circuit breaker. First class construction, through and through. Hold one in your hand and you will see the difference in quality immediately."

jk@home

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2012, 11:29 am »
Well...it looks like a poor man's Felix in series with a powerstrip. The filter itself looks less sophisticated than the Felix, which is very similar to design as the uber expensive Audience power filters. Not for me given that Felix exists, I use it in my projects, and Occam has graciously donated the design in the spirit of DIY...

Anand, thanks for the excellent links.

I needed to add some more outlets to my source equipment, for a total of 9 outlets. Just ordered the (not really so cheap and cheerful) Wiremold L10320 plain-jane power bar. Figured I can treat whatever source(s) needed individuality, and do some experimentation for the fun of it.

To RClark. I haven't really gotten into the power conditioning thing yet, but what I have picked up so far is one needs to address whatever specific problem one needs to solve, instead of purchasing something generic.

If the Emotiva is that to you, then go for it.  :D

soundbitten1

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2012, 06:55 pm »
The CMX-6 arrived today, plugged in amp (previously was directly into wall outlet), cdp & preamp. Gonna let it burn in for a while.