Triode Wire Labs & Volti Audio

Triode Pete

Re: Triode Wire Labs & Volti Audio
« Reply #20 on: 4 Aug 2016, 02:35 pm »
Some nice pics and feedback from Kemper Holt from EnjoyTheMusic.com

Late Friday night Greg Roberts of Volti Audio, now in TN, rolled into Rockville after driving all day towing a pair of new speakers finished the day before. Well finish tells the whole story, the new Rival speakers ($7900 per pair), are un-finished and require almost 10 times less man hours to build compared to Volti's Vittoras ($25,750), even though they use the same drivers. The production Rivals will have some improvements to crossover tuning, and will be narrower and taller not requiring stands. Now many more fans of Greg's Volti sound will find them affordable. So halfway through the show, the Rivals were setup in place of the LV OBX-RWs, Gary Dews graciously allowed the Rivals to crash the party. The Rivals had the tone and dynamics Volti is known for, and the bass could easily overload the room at times. The next time we hear the Rivals they will be dialed in and a speaker to watch for.

Triode Pete

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2016, 05:03 pm »
Some coverage from Scot Hull from Part Time Audiophile...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/08/13/capital-audiofest-2016-volti-creates-a-new-rival/

CAPITAL AUDIOFEST 2016: VOLTI CREATES A NEW RIVAL

"I heard, almost by chance, that Greg Roberts of Volti Audio had snuck into CAF with a brand new prototype that he’s calling “Rival”.

Rival, that is, to the big brother “Vittora”. If that $25,000 horn loudspeaker recalls a Klipsch K-Horn, this new offering might recollect the Klipsch Cornwall.

The three-way speaker prototype featured a large bass driver, a horn-loaded mid and horn-loaded tweeter, both pulled directly from the Vittora (the bass driver came from the earlier Alura). It was propped up on some borrowed stands to help improve the mid-range focus. The finish was a Baltic birch, and the horns were set into extremely precise cut-outs. All in all, the up-close impression was very positive.

Shown here with BorderPatrol electronics and Triode Wire Labs wiring, the final design of the Rival (or whatever the final design is called) is coming soon — I’m betting we’ll see the production version at RMAF this year. Greg told me that the speaker is going to be a “platform” — a low price for the base (which should look very similar to what we saw here), with additional costs for a different finish, perhaps a boat-tail cabinet, and more. But given that the sound was dynamic as all hell, with great impact and scale, my wager is that this Rival is going to be yuuuuge.

The price for the prototype? $7,500 — which is in the neighborhood of what Greg is hoping to offer as a starting price for the production versions too. Based on the reaction at CAF, I think he’s gonna have luck with it.

This first Rival sold in 20 minutes."

(Gary Dews & me helping to "set-up" the new Rivals!)

Cheers,
Pete

radarnyc

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2016, 02:17 pm »
Hi guys - wondering if we'll hear the Rivals at the NY Audio show next month. I'd love hear them with a non-DHT LIO (i.e. What I have  :D )
Any preview from Greg and Vinnie what's on tap for the show?
Thanks!

Triode Pete

« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2016, 02:34 pm »
Hi guys - wondering if we'll hear the Rivals at the NY Audio show next month. I'd love hear them with a non-DHT LIO (i.e. What I have  :D )
Any preview from Greg and Vinnie what's on tap for the show?
Thanks!

Greg Roberts from Volti will be bringing a pair of Rosewood Rivals to the NYAS, Vinnie will have his LIO and VR120 amp as well as a CD transport powered by his new UltraCap power supply. Walter Swanbon from Fidelis AV will be bringing a German-made Acoustic Signature turntable. Walter is the US Importer for Acoustic Signature.

Should be a blast!

Cheers,
Pete

radarnyc

« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2016, 03:12 pm »
Thanks Pete. Looking forward to seeing Vinnie again and meeting you and others.

roscoe65

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2016, 04:11 pm »
Looks fun Pete.  The Rivals appear to follow Bob Crites' Cornscala formula.  Not a bad direction to go.

Triode Pete

« Reply #26 on: 9 Oct 2016, 04:45 pm »
Looks fun Pete.  The Rivals appear to follow Bob Crites' Cornscala formula.  Not a bad direction to go.

They sound much better than Cornscala's! Greg utilizes the same midrange & tweeter horns used in the Vittoras as well as their drivers...

Cheers,
Pete

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2016, 05:16 pm »
The design has been "Voltified"!

I just sprayed the finish on the first two pair and will be assembling them in the next day or so.  Should have photos by the end of the week.  All the info will be up on the website at the end of the month. 

Greg

jimbones

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2016, 05:21 pm »
Good Luck guys!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Pete! :thumb:

Triode Pete

« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2017, 08:49 pm »
I just received the June issue of Stereophile magazine in the mail this afternoon and the Volti Rivals received a superb write-up from Ken Micallef.

In conclusion, Ken wrote, "At a base price of $7900/pair, the Volti Audio Rival, like the Vittora before it, is a true bargain. Adding a snazzy veneer increases the price by a wallet-crunching $3500-not so much of a bargain. But the Rivals played music with supreme fidelity, openness, lifelike images, transparency, impact, touch, timing, dynamics, and flat-out musical fun. They sang with tubed amplification and worked equally well with solid state. They glorified with both LPs and CDs. The Volti Audio Rivals are inspirational music-makers."

Greg also had a nice Manufacturers' Comment toward the back of the magazine...

Congrats Greg!

Come and hear the new Volti Rivals at the upcoming LA Audio Show, June 2-4 in Room 346!

Cheers,
Pete