Current retail price for 7bsst2monos

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Current retail price for 7bsst2monos
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:14 pm »
...anyway I almost got deterred from buying them cuz i read and reread MFremmer.s damning review in stereophile on them......and went ahead anyway with the deal...I guess I will always wonder what the parasound jc1's sound like in my system having not heard either one prioe to purchahce...so has aanyeone either heard the JC1's or owned them and gone the other way and bought the &bsst2's...or done what i did bought the 7Bssts despite his trashing...?

In response to your inquiry, I purchased my 7B SST2 after having read the Stereophile review, among others. My experience is that these things have to be taken as information but not as gospel. I have been quite pleased with my purchase in spite of the less-than-glowing review in that publication. Conversely, I recently purchased a piece of gear which I had heard and read many positive things about and it in turn has been a real disappointment.
I have heard the JC-1's and they are a very good amp - as is what you ( and I ) purchased. The edge on build quality/reliability would probably have to go to the Brystons and the respective warranties reflect that. As to which one sounds better, that would be up to the individual. Enjoy your 7's and don't second-guess yourself.

D.D.

zugisland

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:18 pm »
thanks i did see that review also...i have looked at theat inner ear sire and curiously they do not show a date for this review...nor for any of thier reviews...this is relevant when one loos for model numbers as in the &b sqaured there i think was a transformer upgrade after a certain date...which is relevant..alsoi prcing is important as the currency exchange movement has beeen wild over  the last few yrs ...i did just email them and will report back if inner ear answers..

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:28 pm »
Any 7B SST2 with serial number above 1826 has the upgraded transformer,etc.

D.D.

zugisland

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm »
D D thats why i was wonderign as to the date of that review i dont think they mentioned whihc squared they were using

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:32 pm »
Hi

The Inner Ear review was with the new style transformers on the 7B's as were the pair that MF had.

Funny how the same amp gets completely different opinions AH! :duh:

james

zugisland

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:47 pm »
James , MF indicated in his 1st review that he did NOT have the new transformers but that you sent him the newer versions later  and he did provide an update wihch did read a lil better then the 1st  review on the original pair..BTW wonder what MF really means at Bryston..lol...J?k

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:04 pm »
James , MF indicated in his 1st review that he did NOT have the new transformers but that you sent him the newer versions later  and he did provide an update wihch did read a lil better then the 1st  review on the original pair..BTW wonder what MF really means at Bryston..lol...J?k

Yes he did like the newer versions better but all in all it was a terrible review - it is just interesting to me that over the many years I have been doing this how divergent opinions can be given the same product :scratch:

james

PS - bottom line - linearity and physics do not change.

zugisland

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:21 pm »
James please dont take offense to what I am about to say...it is not intended towards Bryston in any way...My perception on reviews are very similiar towards my experinces on Wall St. Many Brokerage firms would put out glowing buy recomendations for companies for which they had a part in either raising money for them or attempting to do some other form of investment banking for them.. There was supposed to be a firewall between research and banking but in reality that was not the case. I learned the hard way to discount heavily the good reports and when i saw a negative report it woud catch my eye much more so. I think  on balance that is how I interpret my hobby of Audio also... It is impossible to know the relatinship between every reviiwer and the manufacturer of the item they are reviewing. Will the maker cut a good deal for him to buy the review dample or even give him it for a glowing BUY? ... who ever knows I dont think there is an SEC equivalent to make sure each review is done above board. Thus i try to reach out to many sources. In this case I relied on the dealer who I bought my Brystons from  in that he also carried the Parasound products too!.. In this way i didnt feel he had any axe to grind as to his opine on both amps since i was going to BUY one of them from him. He was very forthright in the pluses and minuses of both brands and in the end for better or worse gave me excellant input so I could make up my OWN mind...I encourage anyone who is considering the same 2 amps to  talk to David at Weinhart Designs..He took much time with me on my questions and was always pleasnt to talk too..Cudos to Bryston for having such an excellant dealer!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
James please dont take offense to what I am about to say...it is not intended towards Bryston in any way...My perception on reviews are very similiar towards my experinces on Wall St. Many Brokerage firms would put out glowing buy recomendations for companies for which they had a part in either raising money for them or attempting to do some other form of investment banking for them.. There was supposed to be a firewall between research and banking but in reality that was not the case. I learned the hard way to discount heavily the good reports and when i saw a negative report it woud catch my eye much more so. I think  on balance that is how I interpret my hobby of Audio also... It is impossible to know the relatinship between every reviiwer and the manufacturer of the item they are reviewing. Will the maker cut a good deal for him to buy the review dample or even give him it for a glowing BUY? ... who ever knows I dont think there is an SEC equivalent to make sure each review is done above board. Thus i try to reach out to many sources. In this case I relied on the dealer who I bought my Brystons from  in that he also carried the Parasound products too!.. In this way i didnt feel he had any axe to grind as to his opine on both amps since i was going to BUY one of them from him. He was very forthright in the pluses and minuses of both brands and in the end for better or worse gave me excellant input so I could make up my OWN mind...I encourage anyone who is considering the same 2 amps to  talk to David at Weinhart Designs..He took much time with me on my questions and was always pleasnt to talk too..Cudos to Bryston for having such an excellant dealer!

I hear ya!  David is a great guy. :thumb:

Most reviewers I know are just regular guys with bias's like everyone else. The advantage a reviewer has is his exposure to many more products than the average person has time for. That would be true of a dealer as well but the bias is still there.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:41 pm »
Hi

The Inner Ear review was with the new style transformers on the 7B's as were the pair that MF had.

Funny how the same amp gets completely different opinions AH! :duh:

james

Yes, that's very interesting. And it would be more interesting if the amps were the exact same ones that MF reviewed! But, I suppose it's the same thing more or less

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:43 pm »
Yes he did like the newer versions better but all in all it was a terrible review - it is just interesting to me that over the many years I have been doing this how divergent opinions can be given the same product :scratch:

james

PS - bottom line - linearity and physics do not change.

Terrible review, of course. Read the measurements section where it is revealed that there was an impedance mismatch between MFs preamp and the 7Bs! Maybe you guys should have sent him a preamp too? Just a thought...however, I do understand that it's not Bryston's job to inform reviewers regarding basic stuff like impedance matching!

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2011, 07:46 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback I just bought my7bsst2's ..and have been riveted to my listening chair since..I traded a nice ayre v5xe and k1xe preamp for them ..so i did have good stuff but wanted to try the mono route since i had picked up a nother pre amp in a muisc first passive preamp ...anyway I almost got deterred from buying them cuz i read and reread MFremmer.s damning review in stereophile on them......and went ahead anyway with the deal...I guess I will always wonder what the parasound jc1's sound like in my system having not heard either one prioe to purchahce...so has aanyeone either heard the JC1's or owned them and gone the other way and bought the &bsst2's...or done what i did bought the 7Bssts despite his trashing...?

It sounds like you like the 7Bs, so who cares what a reviewer says!?

Viajero5000

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2011, 09:07 pm »

I have owned several pieces of equipment that have been given glowing reviews and sounded disappointing in my system, and other pieces of equipment which have received modest reviews but sounded great.  Ultimately it is your ears and system synergy that are the real judges.  Btw, if I recall correctly, the 7B's were reviewed by S/phile using a single pair of speakers...   

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm »
I have owned several pieces of equipment that have been given glowing reviews and sounded disappointing in my system, and other pieces of equipment which have received modest reviews but sounded great.  Ultimately it is your ears and system synergy that are the real judges.  Btw, if I recall correctly, the 7B's were reviewed by S/phile using a single pair of speakers...   

I have too, and that's correct, it's up to the individual to be the judge.