TS-3 questions

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
TS-3 questions
« on: 26 Jan 2003, 01:27 pm »
Hi Louis:

Didn't know you had a forum here.  I was going to e-mail to back, but perhaps others here have similar questions:

1.) TS-3 line array (98 dB)?  How many drivers?  Is it a floorstander?  Price?

2.) TS-3 dipole?  Pictures available?  Price?  Details?

3.) Seems to me that you recommend faily tall stands for the TS-3's.  What is this based on?  (I'm used to keeping the driver at ear level and my chair puts me quite low in the saddle.)  Is there an issue with mid/bass floor bounce that you're trying to address?

Does anyone have a link to the Midwest Audio meeting in Lima this April?

Does anyone have suggestions how to get out of the house to attend?

thanks

JLM

More TS-3 questions
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2003, 11:47 pm »
Louis:

What is the synergy like between the TS-3's and the RAM 301?

What sub and SACD player would you recommend to go this pairing?

Hope to see you at MAF-2, but wanted to get preliminary questions out of the way.

thanks,

jeff

Louis O

TS-3 questions
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2003, 01:43 pm »
Hi JLM,

Very Sorry to all for the long time in replies.

Still working on the line array and the dipole. The dipole will come out first and both speakers will be standmounts. The line array can be classified as a floorstander but I like to place speakers on stands even if the stand is 6" tall.

Both the line array and the dipole will use TS3 drivers and be based on the Super 3. The line source will use 4 drivers and looks like it will be 98dB and 8 ohm. The diploe will use 2 drivers and will be 16ohms. I haven't figured out the prices yet.

The Super 3 will be at the MAF and looks like it will sell for $529 standard and $699 R

The TS3s can be placed on 24 or 28 inch stands. I chose 28" because it puts the speaker at ear level in my seated position. I did try 24" stands and this works very well too.

There is a link on my site to the MAF : www.omegaloudspeakers.com

Also the TS3 and the RAM 301 are a great match, but the Super 3 and the Ram is a match made in heaven. This speaker and combination exceeded all my expectations in bass, soundstaging and imaging. I am sending Bill @ Response Audio the Super 3s today. I will have this combo at the MAF.

I'm working on a new 10" sub using a Sonicraft driver, but I really think the Super 3 doesn't need the sub. For SACD I use a Sony 777ES and I did hear the Philips and both of these are great. I would check out the entry level Sony, at this price looks like a steal.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you and everyone at the show.

Best Regards,
Louis

JLM

TS-3 questions
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2003, 10:41 pm »
Louis:

In another thread you recently posted and said:

"New model base on the TS3 will be called Super 3."  

Just above you recently posted and said:

"Both the line array and the dipole will use TS3 drivers and be based on the Super 3."

and

"Also the TS3 and the RAM 301 are a great match, but the Super 3 and the Ram is a match made in heaven. This speaker and combination exceeded all my expectations in bass, soundstaging and imaging."

What is the Super 3?  Is it a renamed TS3 Grande?  (Another recent posting included renaming the TS1 Grande and the TS2 Grande models, but not the TS3 Grande.)  And what is a model base?  

thanks,

jeff

Louis O

TS-3 questions
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2003, 02:07 pm »
Hi Jeff,

The Super 3 started off as a TS3 Grande. The original cabinet was a larger version of the TS3, but I experimented with different cabinet dimensions and came up with a cabinet that has a wide baffle and short depth. Being that this cabinet is very different than the TS3, I decided to rename the model as Super 3. The driver base is the FE127E same driver as the TS3.

The Dipole and Line Source will be based on the Super 3s cabinet style and driver.

I spent a lot of listening time with the Ram amp and Super 3 and this is a great combo. I will be bringing the amp and speakers at the MAF.

Best Regards,
Louis

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
TS-3 questions
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2003, 01:27 am »
I just receiced my new Super 3 cabinets (in beautiful Sapele) and switched the drivers over this evening. They are up and running now in my system. I want to get a few more hours on the drivers before evaluating. The one thing I did notice right off the at was the extension in the bass over the original TS3 cabinets.
  I will post further evaluations after spending some listening time with them.
  They are currently in the following system:

*RAM 301 Signature 30 wpc Hybrid amp (NOS 12AU7 tubes).
 *RAM Signature Class A, ZERO feedback tube CD player (Cryo'ed Tung-Sol 5687 tubes)
 *Music Hall MMF-7 turntable
 *Sonnoteer Sedley SS phono preamp
 *Clarity Emberglow interconnect cables
 *Sand filled 45 lb. medium mass 24" speaker stands

Sounds good so far. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

taketwo

TS-3 questions
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2003, 03:05 am »
Quote from: Louis O
Hi Jeff,

The Super 3 started off as a TS3 Grande. The original cabinet was a larger version of the TS3, but I experimented with different cabinet dimensions and came up with a cabinet that has a wide baffle and short depth. Being that this cabinet is very different than the TS3, I decided to rename the model as Super 3. The driver base is the FE127E same driver as the TS3.

The Dipole and Line Source will be based on the Super 3s cabinet style and driver.

I spent a lot of listening time with the Ram amp and Super 3 and this is a great combo. I will be bringing the amp and speakers at the MAF.

Best Regards,
Louis

Any pics on the Super 3? Also dimensions and specs?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
TS-3 questions
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2003, 03:29 am »
If Louis doesn't post any in the next day or so, I will post a PIC of my system listed above with these speakers on my site, or here after checking with him first.

I don't have have specs but can post the cabinet size of the pair I received.
  I will do an [in-room] measurment of the speakers to see what kind of bass I am getting in my 12 x 17 x 7.5 listening room. If I get some free time, I will set these speakers up in my 15 x 25 x 8 room.

I have been doing some casual listening for a few hours (while doing some paperwork) and can say the imaging is better than I expected with the wider baffle. Depending on your personal preferences, you may want to add a small "subwoofer?" to fill in the lower frequencies. I haven't hooked on eup yet but have a small 60 watt 8 incher I can play with after I install the sub output on my RAM amp.

That's about it for listening for now. I will do some critical listening over the next few days after putting more hours on the speakers. Thess drivers need a looooong time to break in and I am not there yet, neither is my RAM amp or RAM CD player. I will abuse all of them for a few days and post back.

Louis O

TS-3 questions
« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:22 pm »
Hi Bill,

Please post a picture of your system with the Super 3s.
I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
TS-3 questions
« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:27 pm »
You got it. I will get a PIC done shortly and post it here within a few hours.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
TS-3 questions
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2003, 03:01 pm »

Here are some PICs of MY new TS3 Supers.

Below is a pic of the speakers in one of my systems. Don't mind the mess, this system is actually on the back wall of my office and gets rearanged daily and is used for playing around with and evaluating different gear. Also the lighting in this room is BAD.

System is as follows:
  RAM 301 Signature Hybrid amp (30 wpc)
  RAM Signature CD player
  Music Hall MMF-7 table
  Sonneteer Sedley phono pre
  Clarity Labs Interconnects
  Van Den Hul speaker cable

taketwo

TS-3 questions
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2003, 06:14 am »
Thanks for the pics. Looks much "fatter' than the current TS3. I just got my TS3 standard. Mine sound constricted right now. Any idea how long before the driver loosen up?

Bwanagreg

TS-3 questions
« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2003, 07:03 pm »
My TS-1's were harsh until they had more than 100 hours on them. Even then, I think they improved more until 200 hours or so. I've heard the smaller drivers in the TS-3 can take even longer. I'd suggest wiring them up out of phase with the front baffles next to each other and playing pink noise (interstation FM hiss works well) or a full range CD track on repeat to build hours.  I was amazed how the sound transformed.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
TS-3 questions
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2003, 07:26 pm »
Actually, the driver in the TS3 takes the longest to break in. I would not evaluate the speaker before 200-300 hours (seriously). What I did was run the Sheffield Labs Drum Track CD through the speakers at medium volume for several hours a day. This CD pounds (so be careful about volume levels) on speakers to loosen up the surrounds. Also a great CD to listen to with a full range system.
  My TS3s were harsh in the beginning almost to the point of unlistenable but also in conjunction with a fresh RAM 301 amp that also needed breaking in.
  After about 100 hours, they did start to smooth out a bit but many more hours were needed to reach full potential. I'm getting there.

albee

TS-3 questions
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2003, 05:08 am »
Does anyone have the expected -3db for the Super 3 and wil the efficiency remain at 93db or be slightly higher?  Thanks

Louis O

TS-3 questions
« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2003, 02:54 am »
Hi Albee,

In room response is 55 Hertz (-6dB) and the sensitivity is still 93. I have tested the speakers with a 3 watt 2A3 and a 1.5 watt 45 with good results. It also can handle some power as well. The RAM amp is 30 Watts and sounds great with the Super 3s even at high volumes. Excellent tight bass with this amp. I will have this combo at MAF.

Thanks ,
Louis