Neo tweeter availability?

lowtech

Re: Neo tweeter availability?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: Danny
I don't measure any of them anywhere near that high. I just measured one with an open back and it was at 569Hz.

Quote from: lowtech
These aren't open back; they're "deep back".  How do your "deep back" ones measure?

If they are out of spec then send them back to me and I'll replace them.

Before I do that, can you tell me what my "deep back" versions should measure (or better yet, can you post an impedance curve of one)?

motosapien

« Reply #41 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:41 am »

Before I do that, can you tell me what my "deep back" versions should measure (or better yet, can you post an impedance curve of one)?

Judging by the rave reviews of the various speakers this driver has been used in, the curve should look something like a smile :wink:  Very much looking forward to getting my kit.

BrianH

« Reply #42 on: 8 Mar 2010, 05:05 am »
DNFTT

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #43 on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:42 am »
Some interesting results for the Neo3 presented by Linkwitz' recent large signal tests: http://linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_6.htm#Y -

This is very interesting.  The plot literally shows what I called for a long time as memory effect. What SL shows is the heat up process. If he continue with a signal with far less strength (so it really reflect the high dynamic range we have in music) and the transducer begins to cool down, he would see the reverse process of "compression".  In real world, the music notes are arranged in a non-repetitive manner, so these compression and reverse compression goes up and down in unpredictable way. But it is absolutely not random. Actually it is correlated to the input signal and the correlation cannot be better described than as memory effect.

BTW, this is exact what the servo subwoofer resolves -- no thermal compression and reverse compression, nor thermal memory effect.  I wrote to SL some years ago (2006 or earlier) and was very enthusiastic about it and only received a reply to the effect it is a secondary effect  :duh:

As one can imagine, when you can see anomalies in waveform, the distortion level is already pretty high.  I have come up a way to even detect a small variation in amplitude modulation due to memory effect. The idea is to use burst tone (say of waveform length x), and record a single response of length 16x or even longer. Then time shift it to multiples of x to  construct multiple delayed versions of response and add them up. It reconstructs the response back to a pure sine wave. We can then do FFT, remove the fundamental component, and then observe the distortion  between time 0 and x. The same distortion will also repeat between x and 2x, 2x to 3x, ...etc as artifacts.  The distortion contains more than just normal harmonic distortion.   It has a higher resolution than what SL has used. 

This basically uses the principle of superimposition.  If a system is linear and time invariant, the reconstructed waveform should be pure single tone sine.  The selection of x and the response measurement window should be carefully selected so that it captures the complete transient response at the beginning and end of the burst tone.

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 03:26 am by rythmik »

m-fine

« Reply #44 on: 9 Mar 2010, 03:36 pm »
Brian, when you figure out how to retrofit a servo on to the Neo3pdr, let us know! :D

Any good news yet on the availability of the non-servo version? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:43 pm »
Neo's arrived yesterday. So I will be filling some of these back orders and getting them shipped out today.

m-fine

« Reply #46 on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:56 pm »
Thanks. Does the kit include a decent solder, or should I check my inventory and pick some up if needed?

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 9 Mar 2010, 08:16 pm »
All kits come with solder (good solder from Vampire).

lowtech

« Reply #48 on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:58 pm »
I don't measure any of them anywhere near that high. I just measured one with an open back and it was at 569Hz.

Quote from: lowtech
These aren't open back; they're "deep back".  How do your "deep back" ones measure?

If they are out of spec then send them back to me and I'll replace them.

:scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:59 pm »

Okay, I double checked the one that measured with a Fs of 569Hz and it was a custom version that I had made and not a true pdr version. It has pdr technology on the front side only and all five rows of magnets like the standard version.

I measured a small group of these last night with the deep back cup and they all had a Fs of about 1kHz.

I then took the back cup off of 4 of them and measured a Fs on the pdr version right at about 700Hz on all of them.

m-fine

« Reply #50 on: 9 Mar 2010, 11:57 pm »
tHat custom version sounds interesting. Was it an attempt at getting the higher sensitivity of the standard with the off axis response of the pdr?

BTW, shipping notice received, looking forward to the project and results!

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:16 am »
Was it an attempt at getting the higher sensitivity of the standard with the off axis response of the pdr?

That and its use in open baffle. It worked out great. Now if I can just commit to having 1000 units made like that....., maybe later.

dvenardos

« Reply #52 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:19 am »
Matt, what are you building?

tHat custom version sounds interesting. Was it an attempt at getting the higher sensitivity of the standard with the off axis response of the pdr?

BTW, shipping notice received, looking forward to the project and results!

m-fine

« Reply #53 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:48 pm »
Matt, what are you building?

I am converting some X-SLS's into Neo2X's. First with the sonicap and mills upgrade, then I plan to add no-rez and sonicap platinum bypass caps in increments to see what differences I notice.  If I go real crazy, I might upgrade the inductors to foil too.

dvenardos

« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:44 am »
 :thumb: Hope you post your results.

I am converting some X-SLS's into Neo2X's. First with the sonicap and mills upgrade, then I plan to add no-rez and sonicap platinum bypass caps in increments to see what differences I notice.  If I go real crazy, I might upgrade the inductors to foil too.