Cutting NoRez

mlbrand

Cutting NoRez
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:49 am »
If you cut NoRez with a table saw, will it gum or in any way mess up the saw blade? I'm wondering if I should swap out my good blade for an old one before cutting this stuff.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Cutting NoRez
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:56 am »
 :dunno:

I've never cut No rez but I tend to use an electric meat slicer for when I need to "carve' the shapes.  It works great!

I would think a sharp blade on a table saw would be fine though.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:58 am »
 I normally use a band saw to cut No-Rez. Works very well.

motosapien

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:03 am »
I used a sharp razor knife and it worked well.  Plan your cuts on graph paper so you don't waste any.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:06 am »
I used my table saw and didn't notice any ill effects.

Best,
Ed

mlbrand

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:23 am »
Thanks for the replies, might give it a try with my table saw tonight. I'm doing an N3S pair build, and might post a little about it later when I'm sure it's going to turn out decent. It's my first DIY speaker project, though I've got a fair amount of woodworking experience.

Regards,

Mike

NeilT

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:48 am »
Mike, please post some build pics, I will be starting a build soon, sharing your experience would be interesting and helpful.
Thanks,
Neil

mlbrand

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2010, 05:17 am »
Neil, will try to post a pic or two.

Question for those with build experience, where do the network components get mounted in N3S's, do I need to leave out some NoRez somewhere in the speaker cabinet to make a spot for it?

Ron

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:30 pm »
  When I built a pair of AV-3's a few years ago I constructed the high and low pass crossover filters on seperate boards of 1/4" thick MDF. They were then mounted to the center braces as shown in the attached photographs. Worked out just fine for me. Also, when you install the No-Rez. it needs to be back about 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" from the back of the front baffle board.

mlbrand

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:43 pm »
Ron, thanks for the very helpful explanation and pictures!  :thumb: So is installing the No-Rez back from the front baffle board for clearance from the drivers?

Ron

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:01 pm »
 The No-Rez is suppose to be back 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" per Danny's recommendation. Has something to do with early sound reflections from the back of the woofer. Danny can explan it better than me. Also, you need to lightly fill the open areas of the enclosures behind the woofers and tweeter with Poly-Fil polyester fiber. There should be approximately a 2" - 2-1/2"  distance between the back of the baffle board and where the poly fill starts.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm »
Cuts easy with a table saw and doesn't gum up.

The reason to stay just a little bit back off of the drivers is to not load the driver by forcing it to work through the foam.

mlbrand

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2010, 03:17 am »
Good to know about keeping No-Rez back from the drivers, I hadn't heard that before. Now, where can I find some poly-fill?

Ron

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2010, 03:48 am »
 You can find poly-fil at most any fabric stores or even places like Walmart or K-Mart. It is what is normally used to stuff pillows. Also, I think Madisound sells it too but it will cost you more. Also, Acousti-Stuf is good to use, but cost about $10.00 for a 1 lb bag. Parts Express sells it.

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:32 am »
So you can't just cut this w/ a utility knife? I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet as I'm still waiting on a baffle for my H frame kit.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:41 am »
Sure you can, it just takes a good bit of pressure to get through the vinyl layer.

brother love

« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:40 pm »
I found that a jig saw is real handy for maneuvering/ cutting small pieces (goes thru it like butter). The white paper adhesive backing is easy to mark w/ a Sharpie. I used an old pair of scissors for trimming small fractions of an inch when necessary.

mlbrand

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:59 pm »
You can find poly-fil at most any fabric stores or even places like Walmart or K-Mart. It is what is normally used to stuff pillows. Also, I think Madisound sells it too but it will cost you more. Also, Acousti-Stuf is good to use, but cost about $10.00 for a 1 lb bag. Parts Express sells it.

I've seen your past posts on Acousti-Stuf, and it seems like you think it is better than poly-fil. I will check it out.

Ron

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2010, 09:15 pm »
 If you decide to use Acousti-Stuf, you need to tease it out first so that it is fluffy. You would then need to lightly fill the back half of the enclosure from top to bottom. Acousti-Stuf seems to have better sound damping properties than poly-fil. Other Audio Circle members have tried it and said they liked it better than poly-fil. You may want to experiment with both to see which one you like best.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 11:27 pm by Ron »