Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Best and Worst of RMAF.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2011, 05:34 pm »
I hate the words "Best" and "Worst". 
My Favourite room was ..............

Nicely put. withn a hobby that is based on personal taste and preferences, "favorite and least favorite" may be a better way to put it.

Unfortunately, I did not have time this year to visit any other rooms as it was crazy in our room throughout the whole show. I have to rely on all the AC coverage to see how others made out.

Regardless, it was a great time and I was able to put many more faces with names this year.

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2011, 05:39 pm »
And I have to give a huge thanks to Chris Hoff of Balanced Power Technologies and Steve Nugent of Emperical Audio for allowing me the rare opportunity to compare my speakers side by side with the YG Acoustics Kipod II.  Their room was clean and resolving, and proved to be a perfect environment for my Cirrus to shine.  The treatments from Brian Pape of GIK also played a role is how well everything imaged.  Those guys together sure know how to setup a room!

For myself it was incredibly inspiring to know (not believe, but know) that my designs can stand toe to toe with something costing 10x as much, and in ways exceed the far more expensive speaker. 

The generosity those guys showed me to allow use of their room earns them my Best People of Show.

Ryan,

You are too kind.

IMO, your speakers crush practically everything without really low bass.  Ill bet the TAD ref2 only has bass extension to beat it.  There is no way the tweeter can compete IMO.

We played LZ Stairway to Heaven for TAS reviewer and the vocalist was so clear and defined that I heard new nuances and detail inthe lyrics for the first time.  Ive only heard this track maybe 10,000 times or so......

Nice Job,
Steve N.
Empirical Audio

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2011, 05:51 pm »
Lets talk a bit about "the common thread" of the electronics:

I wrote a paper a few years ago for PSonline, but they never published it, I think the only one they backed away from.  It was entitled "the speaker attribution error"

This paper talks about the tendency, at shows and even in showrooms to attribute a good sound quality mostly to the speakers.  Unfortunately Im certain than many buyers if speakers get them home only to find that they sound nothing like they did at the show.

This is simply because we are talking systems here, not just speakers.  Everything matters, and particularly the digital front end in a digital system matters almost more than the speakers do.  This is the reason why the speakers mated to Modwright gear or Empirical gear seem to be magically transformed.  They didnt change the speakers, its the electronics.  Just look at the two rooms with TAD speakers, one best of show and the other worst.

I would think the message would be obvious by now:

Stop concentrating onthe speakers as if they were independent units.  They are part of a system where the other pieces are equally important.  To talk about speakers independent of the system they are being used in makes nosense at all IMO.

Steve N.

Scott F.

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2011, 05:59 pm »
Regardless, it was a great time and I was able to put many more faces with names this year.

Bill, it was good to finally shake your hand after all these years.

For me, shows aren't as much about the gear as it is being able to catch up with all the friends we make over the internet. As I have said many times to my lovely bride, I don't think there is a major city in the nation...and in some cases the world...that I couldn't drop an email and mention we were visiting and know we would see a friendly face when we arrive there. That, more than anything, is the best part of our online community.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2011, 06:08 pm »
Scott, I have to admit that I too enjoy the people as much as the show itself. It's great to meet people you have only known by their voices for so many years.

Even those you never thought you would meet and hang out with turn out to be the most down to earth people. Dean Peer came up and hung out in our room for a couple of hours after the show late Saturday night. I think he left around 1AM. He really is a great guy an I wish him and his family only the best.

acresm22

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2011, 06:48 pm »

Consistently Great (Tie, plus a runner up)MA Recordings

acresm22

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2011, 06:50 pm »
What speakers are these in the MA Recordings room? Love the looks...

standub

« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2011, 07:34 pm »

Yeah i'm going to say that Vapor had the best room, which is funny because technically speaking they didn't have a room  :lol:.  As stated above Ryan's speakers honestly sounded as good as all the other "best" rooms, yeah at about a factor of 10 less money.  Granted i'm not sure what gear was used other than the Parasound amps and M2 music server.  The best way to describe the sound to me is that they sounded like a better version of the Sonus Faber Stradivari's minus just the very low end and that is easily fixed with a sub.

As I put in a post on the day 3 coverage my other two favorite rooms where Soundfield and Odyssey.  I was half expecting the Soundfields to be noise makers due to the crazy idea of putting 8" subs in bookshelf speakers, but it worked out great and they sound great too.  I've known of Odyssey just from lurking here and didn't really pay attention to them last RMAF but I wondered in there this year and wow.  This system really blew me away quite frankly.

Oddly this year no room really send me running out, for the most part they all sounded good this year to me.  My biggest loser though would be the VTL/Tad room, as others have pointed out they seemed to not want to deal with any one.  WTF you're at a SHOW, you are suppose to deal with people that may want to buy your crap, but hey I guess they aren't selling to us common folk or something.  It seems like the mega buck rooms where kind all the "worst" of this year simple for the fact that the reasonably priced guys sound the same now.

audioengr

« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2011, 07:54 pm »
Yeah i'm going to say that Vapor had the best room, which is funny because technically speaking they didn't have a room  :lol:.  As stated above Ryan's speakers honestly sounded as good as all the other "best" rooms, yeah at about a factor of 10 less money.  Granted i'm not sure what gear was used other than the Parasound amps and M2 music server.  The best way to describe the sound to me is that they sounded like a better version of the Sonus Faber Stradivari's minus just the very low end and that is easily fixed with a sub.

As I put in a post on the day 3 coverage my other two favorite rooms where Soundfield and Odyssey.  I was half expecting the Soundfields to be noise makers due to the crazy idea of putting 8" subs in bookshelf speakers, but it worked out great and they sound great too.  I've known of Odyssey just from lurking here and didn't really pay attention to them last RMAF but I wondered in there this year and wow.  This system really blew me away quite frankly.

Ill help.  Not Parasound JC-1s, highly modified JC-1s, driven by my new Bronze Overdrive DAC.  No preamp.

Steve N.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2011, 07:57 pm »
BTW Steve, I only did a Top 3 at show this year, but your room was in the top 5, IMO.  Best I've ever heard a YG Acoustic speaker sound.  Wish I could have heard the Vapors, seems like they took it up another level.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2011, 07:58 pm »
Ill help.  Not Parasound JC-1s, highly modified JC-1s, driven by my new Bronze Overdrive DAC.  No preamp.

Steve N.

Didn't you build in a "preamp" section in your DAC -- no gain but buffering and isolation from what I read?  And Analog volume control.

If I read right, you did have a preamp.  Am I wrong?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:43 am »

youngho

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2011, 09:17 am »
What speakers are these in the MA Recordings room? Love the looks...

Davone Ray (http://www.davoneaudio.com/index.html)

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:27 am »
Scott, I have to admit that I too enjoy the people as much as the show itself. It's great to meet people you have only known by their voices for so many years....................

Talkin' 'bout me, Bill?  I've know you for at least that several years through faceless communications.  I was pleasantly surprised at how "young" you are (was that how they invented "young master"?, as you're the masterful inventor we know).  Somehow, I thought you'd he at least as old as I am  :duh:.  But, when I thought the 30-something guy in front of me, in your room, was not Bill Baker, was I mistaken :scratch:.

It was greeeeat finally saw you, in the flesh. 

You still owe us Naw'Yorkers a show at your place, just to remind :thumb:.

:green:Shek

Greg Onda

« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2011, 04:21 pm »
It is 10pm, returning from an Ahi tuna dinner at Del Friscos, feeling fine and thought we would check on our room.  The elevator doors open with the usual jump on the 5 th floor and there is what appears to the Stanley Cup case being opened by a guy wearing white gloves outside of the Purity Audio/ Von Sch....room.  The case is opened and it is actually an amplifier, the Kronzilla is placed in the room and this big guy with a brush cut (Bill) cries, "We need an 8 foot power cable and 6 foot ICs!"  Ken my partner literally runs to our room and we cable the amp.

The amp warms up and I realize the .9999 silver cd with the first 10 tracks done 1 to 1 from the master was in my hand, I ask Albert if I can put it on.  We do and hit play.  After we played two cuts 2 guys went into the hall, teary eyed and phoned home.  Bill states "God may not be in the room but his angels are...."  Everyone went totally silent and then then everyone jumped up and went nuts.

This was one of those moments when being in the right place at the right time allowed us to experience something wonderful.  Did this actually happen or was it a dream....it happened.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:09 pm »
In regard to the McAlister OTL amps driving the VR-44s, I can't say they were "broken" as much as I would suspect a synergy issue. Many that came in on Sunday stated they absolutely loved the sound of this system. I think the "problem" Albert heard was due to being spoiled by hearing the best amplifier I have ever heard...... the KR Kronsilla :drool: I would have to say that everything else did sound broken after hearing this combination.

The Purity Ultra GT mated with the KR amp driving the VR-44s was a religious experience. KR Audio certainly needs more US exposure and I can promise that all future shows with Von Schweikert will utilize a KR amplifier. I think Albert, Joe Jurzec and the rest of the our guys will agree.

The combination was so perfect that we had a listener come in and is now buying the exact system. (Purity Ultra GT, KR Amp and VR44 speakers).

Talkin' 'bout me, Bill?  I've know you for at least that several years through faceless communications.

Talking about you and many others. I met more new people this year than last. It was great meeting you in person as well.

I was pleasantly surprised at how "young" you are (was that how they invented "young master"?, as you're the masterful inventor we know).  Somehow, I thought you'd be at least as old as I am  .  But, when I thought the 30-something guy in front of me, in your room, was not Bill Baker, was I mistaken

30 something guy?? Wow, I'll take it if it means I can keep the "young master" title  :lol:

I am obviously a bit older than I look. Let's just say "40 something" and leave it at that but thank you for the compliment.

Greg, it was a great pleasure meeting you and the rest of the Onda crew. The cables are exceptional and we look forward to working together with you guys in future endeavors.

The 4-9's CD was also a great treat. Love that track 2 :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:18 pm »
What is the cost of the KR Audio?

Ken (Onda Systems)

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:39 pm »
It was a true pleasure meeting all of you at the show.  I believe that once in a while magic happens when we find that perfect synergy between components and the connections that link them.  What I heard that night was truly spectacular and I'm looking forward to experiencing this combination again soon.  What can we say?... Right time, right place, and thrilled to see Albert's passion and excitement first hand.   

Bill and Joe were also kind enough to lend us the Purity Silver Statement line stage for a day and it was certainly a treat to remember.  I can't recall the last time I heard a more musical and emotional preamp - thank you!

It's going to be a fun ride working with all of you going forward.

Ken

KJ

« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:51 pm »
Welcome to AC Greg!  I was able to hear the Onda cables on Sunday in the Purity room.  Those are some beasts!

Tell Ken it was a pleasure talking to him.  The room was sounding really good towards the end.

audioengr

« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:12 pm »
Didn't you build in a "preamp" section in your DAC -- no gain but buffering and isolation from what I read?  And Analog volume control.

If I read right, you did have a preamp.  Am I wrong?

No preamp.  In fact the volume in the Overdrive DAC, which was what we used, is not a preamp either, nor does it change the digital stream in any way.  There are two gain settings, depending on the efficiency of your speakers.  Last year we used high gain with the Salks and this year we used low gain with the YG Acoustics.

This volume control is totally new.  100% control of the voltage reference of the D/A.  As the volume is decreased, the S/N actually improves, unlike any other volume technology. Absolutely no loss of resolution electrically.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio