Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing

audioengr

Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing
« on: 22 Feb 2015, 07:46 pm »
A good customer is testing a proto of the OR6, which is XMOS-based and galvanically isolated.  He has the Power Block USB power supply/filter and powering the OR6 from a Dynamo supply:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openflup&1775&4#1775

Seems like I may have a S/W or USB cable problem in my system.  It works perfectly for him, but I have trouble with 176 and 192.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2017, 09:13 pm by audioengr »

Recorder

Re: Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:40 am »
Steve,  Thanks for the update.  I am very excited about this.

trueaudiophile

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:43 pm »
Steve,  Thanks for the update.  I am very excited about this.

Steve -

Let me start by saying thank you again for allowing me to be a part of the development/testing of the OR6.  Well, after 2 weeks for allowing the OR6 to run around the clock and break-in further, the sound just keeps on getting better and better!!  The sound stage continues to widen and the sound continues to become fuller and much more dynamic from top to bottom of the signal//bandwidth.

Also I can hear the difference the USB Power Block makes as well !  When I remove it from the signal path the sound while good, becomes less dynamic with a little less detail as well.  I highly recommend the purchase of the Power Block as it gives the USB/signal that extra power boost which delivers greater dynamics and punch on the low end of the spectrum.  The dynamic range is improved as well.  As Steve stated "5v simply Sucks" now after hearing it for myself I concur completely!!

In conclusion, I can't wait till the development of the OR6 is complete and the unit comes to market.  (I WANT ONE ) !!  As always Steve continues to bring a full range of quality products to the audio world once again!

Well Done Steve!

Regards,

Trueaudiophile! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2015, 09:31 pm by trueaudiophile »

Brucemck

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:04 pm »
If it will feed an MSB IV dac via the MSB's i2s Ethernet-style jack connection I'll take one for sure!

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2015, 06:04 pm »
If it will feed an MSB IV dac via the MSB's i2s Ethernet-style jack connection I'll take one for sure!

Can you get more details on this connection?

Steve N.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm »
Steve is there an update path for us offramp 5 owners.  And yes I want one.
Thanks is advance
Al D

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2015, 11:34 pm »
Steve is there an update path for us offramp 5 owners.  And yes I want one.
Thanks is advance
Al D
The msb dsc 4 uses a rj45  input for ots umt plus. It's not compatible with anything else I feel. Although I have not tried it with anything else.

Notice the green markings. It's only for the umt plus inter connect.  It's antwomway digital path from what I understand. 
Does the new offramp have USB output ?  Will,it pass DSd 128 on other outputs like aes, opticsl , or coax spidif. Both my Hugo and msb stack do double DSd on any inputs besides USB.
Steve let me know and of would also be interested in trying one .
Thanks

audioengr

The 176 and 192 problems are solved.  Silly problem really, an incorrect resistor value  DUH :duh:

OR6 sounds amazing on 176 and 192 material.  I am currently playing a 192 .wave file that was digitized by an Ayre QA9 at a show from the vinyl, "take five".

DSD has been tested already by my beta-tester.  Native has problems, but it may be due to the resistor.  Need to change this for him.

Now its only a matter of getting it into production.

Steve N.

ACHiPo

The 176 and 192 problems are solved.  Silly problem really, an incorrect resistor value  DUH :duh:

OR6 sounds amazing on 176 and 192 material.  I am currently playing a 192 .wave file that was digitized by an Ayre QA9 at a show from the vinyl, "take five".

DSD has been tested already by my beta-tester.  Native has problems, but it may be due to the resistor.  Need to change this for him.

Now its only a matter of getting it into production.

Steve N.
...and upgrade potential for existing units?

audioengr

...and upgrade potential for existing units?

Off-RAMP 5 and some 4's can be upgraded.  Pricing is TBD.  These will get the new front panel which will say OR6 on it.

I am using the Dynamo supply for the OR6 and the Power Block for the USB cable supply.  The Dynamo will be standard for the OR6.  No wall-wart anymore.  Power Block will be optional.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2015, 05:36 pm by audioengr »

ctsooner

Steve, what does the Off ramp do?  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with it, just heard about it.  Will I be able to use DSD with my SE by using this device? 

audioengr

Steve, what does the Off ramp do?  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with it, just heard about it.  Will I be able to use DSD with my SE by using this device?

The Off-Ramp USB interface module is used in the Off-Ramp USB converter and the Overdrive DAC.  Unfortunately, the Overdrive will never support DSD.  You will have to wait for my next and probably final DAC for that.

Steve N.

ctsooner

Oh, Ok thanks.  I appreciate it. 

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Steve,

It is a pleasure to have you back in Oregon and I hope you are being spared the deluge here on the other side.

When you say your final dac design, you mean a more mass produced and budget cost dac without the qualities offered by the SX?  This will be helpful for customers when they decide which dac is best for them.  I still believe and have written in two reviews the ODSE does PCM better than DSD in most if not all DSD capable dacs.  Granted I have not heard a DSD only dac yet and each of our perceptions are unique.

I imagine the Off-Ramp 6 is a stellar product.

-j

audioengr

Steve,

It is a pleasure to have you back in Oregon and I hope you are being spared the deluge here on the other side.

When you say your final dac design, you mean a more mass produced and budget cost dac without the qualities offered by the SX?

Correct.  It will not be a cheap DAC, but will be more mass-producible and more affordable.  No volume control and XLR outputs will probably be an option with transformers. Probably no I2S input.   It will be a much larger chassis than the Overdrive.  It will have some of the technology in the SX.

Steve N.

This will be helpful for customers when they decide which dac is best for them.  I still believe and have written in two reviews the ODSE does PCM better than DSD in most if not all DSD capable dacs.  Granted I have not heard a DSD only dac yet and each of our perceptions are unique.

I imagine the Off-Ramp 6 is a stellar product.

-j

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing - finally works 100%
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2015, 01:23 am »
Hey Steve,

Will the OR6 do DSD over the HDMI I2S interface?

Todd

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2015, 05:56 pm »
Hey Steve,

Will the OR6 do DSD over the HDMI I2S interface?

Todd

Yes

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2016, 11:57 pm »
Any update on upgrades ?

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2016, 01:03 am »
The update unfortunately is that the OR6 worked at 192 for one day and then I could never get it to work again at 192 without errors.  I have tried as many tricks as I can think of, still nothing.

At this point I am ready to throw in the towel and go for the Interchange, which is wired Ethernet.  This solves the probem of computer/software SQ issues with USB.  That is the current plan.

If customes dont care about 176 and 192, then I can build OR6 or put the XMOS module in my DAC.

Steve N.

Recorder

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2016, 07:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about the problems. 

I am not sure I understand the plan.  Would you use ethernet between the computer and the OR6 and then let the customer choose between I2S, USB or S/PDIF from the OR6 to the DAC?  Would that then allow 176 and 192? 

If that is how it would work, I see no problems.  It would get the audio stream off of the crowded USB interface in the computer and still allow flexibility on the interface to the DAC.  BTW, I have one of your modded Northstar DACS, so I would favor retaining the I2S option.