What CD player are you using with your 1801?

teiki arii

« Reply #20 on: 4 Nov 2005, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: hubert
He-he teiki arii,
you make me  :lol:
Yes I have always made you

teiki arii

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2006, 01:02 am »
I use a Cayin CDT-17A CDP but with XLR outlets...So I shunt the single-ended AOP on each channel. I changed OPA604AP for OPA627BP and I am very glad with an Accuphase E-212: terrific!
Best regards,
Teiki.

PS: I'll tweak my CDP in a few weeks...I compared it with an Accuphase DP-67, and I prefer the Cayin...
I know the pem configuration: and I like it very much as well, less expensive...

teiki arii

« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2006, 03:22 pm »
Hello everyone,
I made my items optimized by André Devillers from Belgium -OAD-. So I have a Cayin CDT-17A OAD, an Accuphase E-212 OAD but sold "my" Ellis 1801b for another pair of Ellis 1801b! made by pem... 8)  :wink:
I didn't finished to optimize the CDP, but the system is so good by this way... :D
I have also a Vecteur L4.2 OAD, terrific! I like the realism of the timbres with this CDP. I keep it to optimize the Cayin CDP which has got a marvellous and an emotional wide stage...
here is some photos of what André did about the CDP:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169632052#169632052

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2006, 09:11 pm »
Yep,

Those M-Cap's Silver/Gold are exceptional.  Unfortunately, the are expensive and BIG.  My amplifier and CD player are "stuffed" in similar fashion.

Dave

teiki arii

« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2006, 11:40 pm »
Quote from: David Ellis
Yep,
Those M-Cap's Silver/Gold are exceptional.  Unfortunately, the are expensive and BIG.  My amplifier and CD player are "stuffed" in similar fashion.
Dave
We are lucky: it is so less expensive in Europe... :wink:

hubert

« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2006, 01:06 am »
teiki wrote
We are lucky: it is so less expensive in Europe...

less, perhaps...expensive they remain...or we don't have the same point of view about what is expensive :roll:

teiki arii

« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2006, 08:14 am »
Quote from: teiki arii
We are lucky: it is so less expensive in Europe...
less, perhaps...expensive they remain...or we don't have the same point of view about what is expensive :roll:
24 euros a 3.3uf 1200VDC Mundorf Silver Oil.. :idea:  :wink:

hubert

« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2006, 09:17 am »
24 euros a 3.3uf 1200VDC Mundorf Silver Oil..

Where please?

teiki arii

« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2006, 09:25 am »
24 euros a 3.3uf 1200VDC Mundorf Silver Oil..
Where please?
Special order directly from the factory. Please contact me... :wink:

teiki arii

« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2006, 09:58 am »
Quote from: teiki arii
My Cayin -Full AD843- is less good at this point, but with OPA627BP -in despite of less extreme bass- is astonishing with exceptionnal soundstage.
whithout any opa but with a 2 very good output transformers, details, transparency and dynamic are "allways" better.
I shall be showing you ASAP that you are wrong.. 8)  :wink:

David Ellis

« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2006, 12:47 pm »
whithout any opa but with a 2 very good output transformers, details, transparency and dynamic are "allways" better.

I... missed this comment earlier.  It does appear slightly, well, wrong.  However, the author did place "always" in quotes, so he is likely aware of the issues.

From my perspective, removing an element of gain in any preamp or cd player, "might" not work very well.  However, this is situationally dependent upon the other elements of the circuit AND the needed drive of the next component in the circuit chain (i.e. amp or preamp).  However, if the source circuit was already very robust, and the destination impedance was high (relatively speaking), removing the opamp might indeed work.  

I do find this comment very intriguing.  

My Cayin -Full AD843- is less good at this point, but with OPA627BP -in despite of less extreme bass- is astonishing with exceptionnal soundstage.

Unfortunately, I think most CD players use a Di-Fet and will not accomodate a OPA627.  My Anthem uses a Di-Fet.  Using the 627 is an experiment I'd really like to try, but am not able to accomplish.  

Dave

Guilhermejs

Re: What CD player are you using with your 1801?
« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2006, 01:02 pm »
I use a Rega Planet 2000.

I just changed the RCA plugs for Vampire OFC, and added dampening to the cabinet.

Does anyone know this player? Is it good to play the 1801b?

Guilherme

Occam

« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug 2006, 01:25 pm »

Unfortunately, I think most CD players use a Di-Fet and will not accomodate a OPA627.  My Anthem uses a Di-Fet.  Using the 627 is an experiment I'd really like to try, but am not able to accomplish.  

Dave

Dave - I'm not understanding your comment. The opa627 is a di-fet opamp.

David Ellis

« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:38 pm »
I got my terminology backwards.  Sorry.

Thanks for the catch.

Per the www.digikey.com page the original op-amp, the BB2604, is
IC DUAL FET INPUT OPAMP 8 SOIC
.  The BB627 is
IC HS DIFET OPAMP 8 DIP

In any event, they are not compatible.  During my failed experiment the BB627 yield a very low crackle and sizzle through the speakers.  It was quite frightening.  Fortunately, the CD player worked when the correct op-amp was reinstalled.

The BB2604 seems to be a very well regarded op-amp, and I don't think it requires changing.  I currently have the BB2134 in my CD player instead of the BB2604.  The overall quality of both om-amps are very similar IMO, but the BB2134 is perhaps slightly smoother sounding.  The BB2604 is more dynamic.  These are differences, and don't reflect a superiority of either op-amp.

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #34 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:41 pm »
Does anyone know this player? Is it good to play the 1801b?

I... think this unit has a good reputation and I don't see any problem using it. 

I don't believe there are any special synergy issues among CD players and the 1801.  I simply believe that a better CD player will sound... well... better  :) .

DavidS

« Reply #35 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:05 pm »
I think one of the amazing things about the 1801's is the more you upgrade your source and downstream gear the better the Ellis' sound.  This spring I purchased a secondhand Modwright Sony player that I use for both cds and dvds and have new appreciation for just how good these speakers are - for four months have been pretty much amazed with every cd I play.  Everyone who hears my system comments on the midrange and top end detail.  Still some work to do with the bass - been debating new amp vs small musical subwoofer to create that magic I get with the mids and highs with standup bass and cellos.

David

Occam

« Reply #36 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:18 pm »
Dave,

I think I follow now..... If you're looking for dual opamps to replace 2604/2134s, I'd suggest the OPA2107 and/or OPA2111. Larry Welsh and I have been tweeking the Zhaolu 2.0 dac and have the 2107 for dac interface/filtering and the 2111 for buffering. Rather than wax poetic, I'll simply say they're mo betta. These are both di-fet process opamps like the OPA627/37 but far more tractable. While these opamps are substantially more expensive than the 2604/2134, I've yet to find an application where they're not subjectively preferred. They're available from cordless89 on Ebay at very reasonable prices. At my request, he made kits of these available on eBay specifically for the Zhaolu. He currently has singles available on eBay.

FWIW,
Paul

David Ellis

« Reply #37 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:22 pm »
Thanks for the comments David.

IMO, truly "magical" bass will require a sensitive woofer (among other things).  As other folks have noted elsewhere, there are extremely few of these available.  

If you are able, a single SCC300 mounted in the middle OR a pair of SCC300 subwoofers mounted on both sides will do the trick.  The downside is the size factor.  3 cubic feet of cabinet is necessary.  4 cubic feet of cabinet will get you a slightly low Q alignment.  When considering bass systems, bigger is better.

My goals when building the 1801 were world class midrange, world class highs, and decent bass to 40hz.  In my teenage years these goals would have been reversed  :) .

David Ellis

« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:36 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the opamps!

Rather than wax poetic, I'll simply say they're mo betta.
:lol: :)

This is the kinda' rhetoric I like.

I checked the digikey catalog and believe I found the right unit.  Is this one the drop-in replacement for the BB2604/2134?  "OPA2111BM-ND" http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=107753&Row=534488&Site=US

Do you recommend I use the 2111 or 2107.  It's a buffering circuit.

Yep, they are indeed expensive, but if they sound mo betta - great!

I installed those quick swap daughter boards for opamp swapping.  Testing these should be no problem.  However, after my last bout with the CD player I did tell my wife that I was finished tinkering therein.  I had a few bad connections when I installed about 30 black gate capacitors  :( .

Given the cost of those opamps, I'll put them on my Christmas list.  This will also serve to make my wife feel "included"  :) .

David Ellis

« Reply #39 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:32 pm »
First, I apologize for asking this question.  It was previously addressed.

Do you recommend I use the 2111 or 2107.  It's a buffering circuit.

The OPA 2111 didn't arrive in my Christmas stocking, so I purchased them a day later.  I installed the OPA2111 in my Anthem CD player 2 days ago - removing the BB2134.  Orig ionally it had BB2604.

The OPA2111 is phenomenal - wow!! :dance: :hyper: .  I never would have thought an opamp would create such a positive change.  Everything is much more clean and dynamic - especially in the bass region.  I am hearing considerable resolution in the bass region that didn't previously exist.  It's as if someone installed the bass resolution of the SS8545 in my W18 speaker. Previously my speakers/system sounded a slightly lean in the bass region.  Now I might have to make the ports 1/2" to 1" longer.

Upgrading this opamp was more effective than any tube/diode swap I have performed and close to the impact of upgrading coupling capacitors.  They cost me about $30 from Digikey.

I wish to offer a most gratuitous thanks for the recommendation of the OPA 2111.  Great stuff.

Dave