Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers

AvsFan

Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #280 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:18 pm »
Nice Screener!! The Super Alnico High Output XRS is what I really wanted....ahhh save my pennies.

Spoke with Louis today, and after I told him my needs, he suggested the dual RS8 driver floor standers. 8 week turn around. Thankfully I have some dual RS5 driver HO's that will keep me occupied while I wait.

I was really interested in the Super Alnico's too, but Louis felt the 8XRS's were more for me. Who am I to argue with the owner, designer and builder?  :D

screener

« Reply #281 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:22 pm »
Thanks justforfun.
I happened to find a used pair for a fair price. Soon these will be up for sale. Down sizing is approaching soon!

justforfun

« Reply #282 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:30 pm »
Louis had his shop just a mile or two from my office. He dropped off a pair of loaner speakers to play around with and was super helpful in my choice of the ones I ordered. What a nice guy!! I hope he's all settled in after his move.

justforfun

« Reply #283 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:31 pm »
Screener....I'll trade you for my custom Cams  :D

justforfun

« Reply #284 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:35 pm »
AVSFAN, so you're getting Junior or Super 8 XRS in high output config?

TWINSKI66

« Reply #285 on: 12 Jul 2020, 01:49 pm »

justforfun

« Reply #286 on: 13 Jul 2020, 12:58 pm »
TWINSKI66 that's a killer little rig you got. I love dual mini ports in front. You loving that Aegir?

NoDisco

« Reply #287 on: 15 Jul 2020, 09:07 pm »

My setup. I’m happy.

AvsFan

« Reply #288 on: 15 Jul 2020, 10:21 pm »
AVSFAN, so you're getting Junior or Super 8 XRS in high output config?

Exactly.

curiousgeorgenz

« Reply #289 on: 16 Aug 2020, 09:23 pm »
Had my Super 6 Alnico XRS bottom ported with upgraded binding posts for about a month now. Think they are breaking in nicely. Still can’t believe the big sound these puppies put out

I'm considering these speakers.  Do the speakers have factory outriggers with the bottom port?  Which binding posts did you use?

Thanks.

curiousgeorgenz

« Reply #290 on: 16 Aug 2020, 09:27 pm »
This is my first post and hello from Maryland.  I'd like to thank this AudioCircle for providing useful information while I was considering Omega Speakers.  After a couple nights of scrolling through topics (search restriction stinks for would-be owners), I decided that Omegas would be perfect for classical music.  Louis was obviously very helpful and communicative, even though he was in the middle of his move.

Louis completed these Junior 8 AlNiCo XRS towers at the end of April.  They are wonderful.  As I waited for them to be crafted, I admit I was apprehensive after reading other forum posts discussing full-range drivers' ability to handle "complex" music.  Rest assured, the Omegas sound great, especially with modest support from the REL subwoofer.

They pair well with the 20-watt Linear Tube Audio amp and preamp.  The music gets plenty loud.  The preamp's stepped attenuator allows for 100 volume positions, but currently, I rarely turn the knob past 10. With the added gain from balanced XLR connections and the 95 dB sensitive Omegas, I will need to lower the gain of the preamp by swapping out 12AT7 tubes for 12AU7s. 

I have another set of Omega Super 3 Wide Baffle Monitors in curly walnut in the basement.  Despite the smaller driver, they also sound good (supported by a subwoofer) with classical music.

Thanks again to the forum for being an excellent resource.

System:

Omega Speakers Junior 8 AlNiCo XRS in Zebrawood
Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear Amp (20 watts per channel in preproduction chassis)
Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL Preamp
Aqua La Voce S3 DAC
Musical Fidelity M3scd CD Player
REL T/5i Subwoofer

I notice you have them quite close to the rear was.  I assume they're rear ported (as standard) - how do they perform close to the rear wall?

Thanks.

dcmdord

« Reply #291 on: 18 Aug 2020, 02:52 am »
Yes, the Junior AlNiCos are rear ported.  The cabinet profile is 7 inches deep, which is shallower than most tower speakers.  That allows me to position them about 12 inches away from the front wall.

You remind me that I should take time to compare stealing a little more space away from the wall, maybe 6 inches, with their current location to see if I can hear a difference.  I should slide them out for critical listening sessions.

That said, the bass sounds good to me.  I don't find the bass booming or cancelled out.  I've been happy with them for the past 5 months.

I wish I could have them further from the wall, but alas, because they are in the living room, it's a compromise.

Thanks for your question and I hope it helps.  I'll post the results of my listening trials.

curiousgeorgenz

« Reply #292 on: 20 Aug 2020, 01:40 am »
Yes, the Junior AlNiCos are rear ported.  The cabinet profile is 7 inches deep, which is shallower than most tower speakers.  That allows me to position them about 12 inches away from the front wall.

You remind me that I should take time to compare stealing a little more space away from the wall, maybe 6 inches, with their current location to see if I can hear a difference.  I should slide them out for critical listening sessions.

That said, the bass sounds good to me.  I don't find the bass booming or cancelled out.  I've been happy with them for the past 5 months.

I wish I could have them further from the wall, but alas, because they are in the living room, it's a compromise.

Thanks for your question and I hope it helps.  I'll post the results of my listening trials.

Is the driver the 6" Alnico HempCone?  Great looking speaker.

dcmdord

« Reply #293 on: 20 Aug 2020, 10:27 pm »
Is the driver the 6" Alnico HempCone?  Great looking speaker.

Yes, the speakers have the "full-range 6.5" driver with felt diffraction ring and 25mm voice coil."

Louis suggested zebrawood as a contrast to the walnut in the room.  The zebrawood is holding up well, but it darkens slightly in the sunlight.  It's not noticeable, but I left the grills on for the first couple of months or so and a halo developed where the grills attached becuase that area was protected from sunlight.  I took them off and the halo around the drivers disappeared within a couple weeks.

efyoung4321

« Reply #294 on: 25 Dec 2020, 04:49 pm »
Hello from Boston,
Posting in an effort to engage with a seller on the trading post, the Omega Forum seemed an ideal place to start.  I’ve used them with everything from high powered solid state and tube amps to flea powered 2A3 and 300B.  I love them the latter.  Was, until a recent move, using a pair of Super 8 XRS with matching subs.  The new place can’t accommodate the floor standers. 
So, in addition to the introduction, I’ll likely be posting the Omegas for sale when I’m able to do so.
Thanks!

BryanNguyen

« Reply #295 on: 26 Jan 2021, 03:12 am »
Hello from Irivne,

I have had the SAM for about a year and the half already, they are wonderful. However i recently purchased a pair of skylans stands for them. Not only the stands help improve the sound but also improve the looks of these. Very happy

GeAllan70

« Reply #296 on: 26 Jan 2021, 02:34 pm »
^^^

Super Nice!!

:thumb:

Kray

« Reply #297 on: 26 Jan 2021, 05:50 pm »
@efyoung4321
@BryanNguyen

Great setups! I think my next purchase is a matching Omega sub like Bryan has

Doug_K_2021

« Reply #298 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:01 pm »
Hello, new forum member here, just wanted to post pictures of my new SAM speakers in Flame Red Birch.
Sound is phenomenal, even with just about 10 hours on them, and they are gorgeous!

Turntable: Rega P3 with Gem Dandy turntable mat
Phono: Moon 110lp v2
DAC/Streamer: Denon DNP-800NE
Integrated Amp: Vista Audio Spark v2
Speakers: Super Alnico Monitors - Flame Red Birch

Doug_K_2021

« Reply #299 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:04 pm »
Just look at the gorgeous finish on these monitors! Pictures don't do them justice.