The New DAC-9x is now shipping

AllanS

Re: The New DAC-9x is now shipping
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2023, 02:21 am »
I may eventually purchase a separate preamp for this system, but plan to <for now> use the DAC-9X as DAC and preamp.
Do you have any preamps in mind?  As I contemplate the next moves I really struggle with pre amps.  My biggest hang up is wanting to separate DAC and preamp functions.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2023, 06:23 pm »
Good morning, Allan.

Thanks for asking. Well, I've spent the better part of a year reading people's recommendations, watching untold numbers of YT videos, and asking people their opinions, and I've decided I spend too much time worrying about making a poor decision.  :lol: This system is not my main system, but I still want great music (and audio for TV). This DAC and an eventual preamp will be solid state; won't generate much heat, and will be easy to operate. My wife is a technophobe, so this system will remain 'always on' and must be easy to operate.

I'll very likely choose a Nuprime preamp. My audiophile addiction imp tells me I ought to buy the AMG PRA, but my common sense imp tells me the PRA-9X will more than suffice. Additionally, in all the years I've owned Nuprime gear, I have not experienced a single failure. However, if (or when?) I do someday experience a failure, I know how to generate a repair ticket on Nuprime's website. Over the years, I've developed a lot of respect for Jason's engineers/mad scientists. They have made some excellent products over the years.

Thoughts or comments?

Michael
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2023, 08:44 pm by mresseguie »

AllanS

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2023, 02:26 am »
I've decided I spend too much time worrying about making a poor decision.  :lol:

Hi Michael,
  Thanks much.  I don’t have much for thought or comments but very much appreciate yours.  I got a real laugh out of that one - only because it is too close to the truth!
  For reasons I can’t exactly put my finger on, I find the NuPrime amplifiers particularly compelling.  Maybe it’s because they approach Class D in their own way.  Whatever, your experience gives me reason look more closely at the rest of the line up.
Thanks again,
Allan

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2023, 06:04 pm »
I'll very likely choose a Nuprime preamp. My audiophile addiction imp tells me I ought to buy the AMG PRA, but my common sense imp tells me the PRA-9X will more than suffice.

Even though PRA-9X is in the 9 series, performance-wise, it is in the same league as AMG PRA.  These two preamps serve different purposes.
AMG PRA allows you to do some matching with amps and speakers, and if you don't need that, go with PRA-9X.

Since this thread is about DAC-9X, the perfect matching component would be the new IA-9X, which is an effective combination of STA-9X and PRA-9X.

zappan

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2023, 09:55 pm »
I've spoken with my dealer who is quite amazed by the DAC-9X. I've personally heard the DAC-9 and the DAC-10 - how would DAC-9X compare to those two, mainly to the DAC-10 (as there is already a brief comparison to DAC-9/9SE above in this thread)?

Thanks

People have “stolen” the topic a bit, so I’ll repeat my question on DACs comparison: 9 vs 9x vs 10 (mainly 9x vs 10)
Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2023, 09:06 am »
DAC-9 has been discontinued because, at that time, it used AKM chip and the factory burned down. After that we decided to switch to ESS chip and came out with DAC-9X. 

Since DAC-9X is a new design, it has more features and better performance than DAC-9.

DAC-10, even though it was a very "old" design, the goal was to design a DAC with exceptional power (2 levels of gains). It is very detailed and neutral, suitable for classical music.

NV

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2023, 03:46 pm »
Hello,
5 stars for DAC 9-X by the famous What Hi-FI ? magazine !

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/nuprime-dac-9x

swifri

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2023, 07:12 am »
My favorite (german) nerd audio podcast posted a brilliant review of ia-9x & dac-9x these days. This YT channel is usually focused on analog audio & audio principles, so its warm recommendations of both devices is noteworthy.