6CG7 shorties

Listens2tubes

6CG7 shorties
« on: 9 Mar 2011, 12:48 am »
Just fishing for some 6CG7's on the bay and spotted these expensoes :duh: http://cgi.ebay.com/6CG7-6FQ7-Mazda-England-Tube-Match-Pair-20-avail-/380322598453?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item588cfe4e35 compare this to the expense of lower standoffs and socket installs. 

Mountain-ear

Mazda Brimar 6CG7 Tubes on eBay
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2013, 02:02 am »
Just saw some Mazda 6CG7s listed on eBay.  They appear to come from Upscale Audio where they currently are listed for $45 each.  At $45 for the pair, it looks like a good deal (assuming they are as represented).  I have a pair in my T-8.  I like the sound, and they fit without having to modify anything.  No connection to the seller.  Just passing along the information.

Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-6CG7-made-by-Brimar-Platinum-Grade-1-matched-pair-/161006110757?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257cb64825

medium jim

Re: 6CG7 shorties
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2013, 02:13 am »
Got to try RCA 6FQ7 Clear Tops, as they are the best  sounding in my opinion.

Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2013, 02:18 am »
fwiw, both martyo & I went thru the Mazdas in short order in our T-8s from Upscale. I went thru 2 pair. Not saying they are a bad source, just relating experience. I liked the sound as well, but couldn't afford the attrition rate.

mark funk

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2013, 11:10 am »
Funny Martyo let me have his T-8 and his tubes for a while. After all of that I ended up liking the stock EH tubes the best! The RCA clear top came in last I didn't like then at all. 

:smoke:

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
The MIL-SPEC Sylvania tubes were the best I had found with the D-115II.  They are quiet and clear.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2013, 03:39 pm »
Funny Martyo let me have his T-8 and his tubes for a while. After all of that I ended up liking the stock EH tubes the best! The RCA clear top came in last I didn't like then at all. 

:smoke:

Interesting, as everyone I know who has 6CG7/6FQ7's in their system(s) prefer the RCA's :scratch:  Very interesting!

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6cg7.html

Jim
« Last Edit: 11 May 2013, 04:47 pm by medium jim »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2013, 04:47 pm »
Not everyone - I prefer the Sylvania over the clear top RCAs.
It seems that so much is system dependent so I don't think you can judge the merits of a particular tube all by itself. 
It's what you're using it in and what the rest of the system is comprised of; it either all works together or it doesn't.
The EHs sure didn't do it for me, the RCAs were close but no cigar, the Sylvanias were just right.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2013, 04:49 pm »
Not everyone - I prefer the Sylvania over the clear top RCAs.
It seems that so much is system dependent so I don't think you can judge the merits of a particular tube all by itself. 
It's what you're using it in and what the rest of the system is comprised of; it either all works together or it doesn't.
The EHs sure didn't do it for me, the RCAs were close but no cigar, the Sylvanias were just right.

The moral to this story is to try and roll until you find what strikes your fancy...they are still not too expensive...

Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2013, 06:40 am »
fwiw, both martyo & I went thru the Mazdas in short order in our T-8s from Upscale. I went thru 2 pair. Not saying they are a bad source, just relating experience. I liked the sound as well, but couldn't afford the attrition rate.

Hmm, that sucks. I bought two pair of the Mazda/Brimar valves from Upscale when Frank suggested the roll. The first pair is still jammin' right along, after a ton of hours.

The Brimars are my favorite.