Any benefit from Stillpoints ERS paper inside D200's?

Robert57

I have spoken with one D200's owner who used Stillpoints ERS paper inside each D200 case just as a precaution to contain any possible residual EM and RFI noise. On the other hand, I have not heard that such EM noise is an issue with Dusty's design, unlike most other Class D amps. Could Dusty or others please comment on whether they have tried this ERS tweak ($25 per sheet), and whether it has any value in sound quality, or reduced interference with other components? I am planning to place the D200 monos side by side, one shelf immediately beneath a SS preamp in a very tight rack set-up.

Thanks.

Rob

Charles Calkins

Re: Any benefit from Stillpoints ERS paper inside D200's?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:20 pm »
Never tried it. Never had any EM noise or things like that. My D-200"s are dead quiet.

Cheers
                             Charlie

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:06 pm »
I have spoken with one D200's owner who used Stillpoints ERS paper inside each D200 case just as a precaution to contain any possible residual EM and RFI noise. On the other hand, I have not heard that such EM noise is an issue with Dusty's design, unlike most other Class D amps. Could Dusty or others please comment on whether they have tried this ERS tweak ($25 per sheet), and whether it has any value in sound quality, or reduced interference with other components? I am planning to place the D200 monos side by side, one shelf immediately beneath a SS preamp in a very tight rack set-up.

I haven't tried the ERS paper, but I doubt it would make any improvement being that the D series amps already have very low EMI/RFI.

Robert57

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:06 pm »
Okay, thanks for the reassuring reports.

Rob

gme109

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:17 pm »

I haven't tried the ERS paper, but I doubt it would make any improvement being that the D series amps already have very low EMI/RFI.

What about protecting the D200's from outside EMI/RFI sources? I hear a slight improvement when placing a Shaki Sone on top of the D200's, and a sheet of ERS paper underneath. My guess is, it's protecting the D200's from outside sources of EMI/RFI.

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:30 pm »
What about protecting the D200's from outside EMI/RFI sources? I hear a slight improvement when placing a Shaki Sone on top of the D200's, and a sheet of ERS paper underneath. My guess is, it's protecting the D200's from outside sources of EMI/RFI.

Could help if you have another component in close proximity that spews noise. I would first try applying the paper to the offending component (rather than all other components surrounding it).

BobMajor

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:42 am »
I've tried ERS with various components. I felt that it helped slightly in power supplies but that it caused reduction in dynamics if it was anywhere near an analog signal. I removed it from the transformers of a preamp I tried it with because of this. But I left it in the VAC-1 and in my "Ultimate Outlet" and in a Brickwall surge protector. You could use it to shield power cables which weren't already shielded.