ONE.3 setup tips

Rocket

Re: ONE.3 setup tips
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2014, 04:42 am »
Hi Guys,

Well I've had some bad luck with my Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks when I was swapping them back into my system after using the Virtue One.3.  One of the Ampzilla mono blocks has been problematic since I bought it and I smoked it last night  :duh:.  The manufacturer has requested I return it to the US from Australia for repair.

It looks like the Virtue One.3 will be my main amp for the next few months.  It really does sound very good with my Salk Sound HT3's and I can easily live with their sound. 

Cheers Rod

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2014, 05:14 am »
Wow, Rod!  That's an honor!

In other news, I found a great way to hold the wrap open while sliding it back on if you don't have access to a beefy wooden Popsicle stick: wooden coffee stirrers from Starbucks.  Please note that there are some delicate caps under the board (special, French AVX film caps) that can chip and break so be careful back there).

I'll start putting them in the boxes from now on. 

Also, to Ian's point about the LED legs.  On this board, the LED is soldered to the Pre-amp board... so the only way to get it off is to bend the long leg straighter, pull off the plug fixture, and then push it back on when you're finished.  But you definitely don't need to do it to tighten the knob.  You would need it to mess with the jumpers and/or change the subwoofer gain.  If you need to do that, please fiddle with the top off but don't touch the boards while plugged in.  Low voltage but your fingers (and tools) can short stuff.

I'm still jazzed about these things.  We give up a few things with the standard caps (vs. Auricaps or Sonicaps) but overall, I'm delighted.

Seth

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2014, 09:39 am »
Hi Seth,

I actually just read my post again and I've understated my comment.  Its a damn good little amplifier and I'm happy to live with it for a couple of months or so until the amps are fixed.  Will you be continuing with the One.3 or will these be the last batch?

Regards Rod

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2014, 02:15 pm »
Hey Rod,

I actually made 500 Tripath amplifier boards but did not have money to finish all of those units.  So if there is demand, I can finish them, and of course make more.

There is a configuration of iMake that will be very similar to this one (the pre-order includes 3 extra daughter boards which won't be standard).  But if all you need is a clean integrated amp, it won't sound any better (or worse).  So this amp will live again as iMake ONE.3 and I hope that iMake lives a long time.

Seth

JoshInTaiwan

« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2014, 11:14 am »
After a week of just staring at my amp (in Taiwan) I'm finally back home and listening to music again. (I'm already going on my 3rd hour.) I totally agree with Rod... "It's a damn good little amplifier." I am definitely enjoying what I hear. It's making my open baffle sing!

Cheers!

bardamu

« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm »
Hello,
Only go to starbucks because the stirrers are nice. If you are a true virtue lover you should grind your own coffee just before drinking just like i do.
You can read on this circle and on the virtue website as well that if you want any virtue electronic to impress you should invest in the power supply.
The French did start using batteries in the eighties and they were focussing on a lot more things that did make sense ( some only after hearing it).
The power supply i did use before on my sensation was allready quite big. The stock power supply of the new born is just 65 watt and looks like a charger for an electric raser. It will work for sure but if the standard deal will come with the upgraded power supply it will be 139$ more expensive and some people might say 400 is okay but 539 is a bit to much.
So switching from the 65 watty supply to battery will surely remind you every day why you didn't do it before. I may sound like a stockholder for a big battery company. Maybe find someone  who is using batteries ( 2  12 volts or 1  24 volts) for some other application and give it a try before spending some money on batteries and a charger. Usually the serious battery manufactures will have a data sheet where you can read about the number of charges related to the depth of discharge , internal resistance and maximum discharge current.
A very good battery will serve you much longer, a bigger AH rating will give less deep discharges so in the end you will end up spending less than when using mediocre ones.
http://sound.au.com/tcaas/monster29.htm
I hope the link will work. It is a translated copy from a french magazine published in 1983. I was already using batteries then( but not for a power amplifier i must admit). Todays batteries are probably better and cheaper as well because they are used in much more applications. The virtue shop will not start selling them because it will cost a lot to send them across the world. Just buy them locally. I buy them online in my own country with free delivery.
Just look how much space you have next to your ONE.3 and fill it up with batteries ( just 2 big ones will do). Cover the connectors on the output side of your '' battery pack'' so you cannot short circuit them while moving them around. My pack once mounted was nearly 58 lbs . So moving that around it will probably be close to your belly where there might be a buckle, a zipper, a necklace or a piercing. When you create a short circuit you will probably drop it and break something in your feet as well. Just be cautious.
Sincere greetings, edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2014, 05:56 pm »
I'm counting on you guys to find a cheap solution to the power problem!

My Taiwanese 130w medical-grade supplies are very expensive with high MOQ and shipping. 

The SLA approach is nice because it's a commodity product. 

But if you can figure out an ePacket (2 kg or less) solution from China, that would help all customers.  I don't want to be in the power supply business!

Seth

roscoeiii

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2014, 06:48 pm »
Hi Seth,

I can always blacken in the led or use blue tack to cut the light out all together.  If you look in the background behind the Salk Sound HT3'S there are a couple of pairs of Nuforce s9 speakers.  These are the speakers that I'm going to use with the Virtue One.3 and my iMod and I think the combination will sound quite nice as the speakers are about 87 - 88db efficient and I also have a Salk Sound rhythmic subwoofer I can use as well.

Cheers Rod

Rod, Let us know how the Virtue works out with those NuForce S9 speakers. IIRC, they were manufactured by SP Tech/Aether Audio for NuForce. Those SP Tech designs do like power by all accounts (more than their efficiency would suggest), and in my experience with the SP Minis I would agree. Will be curious to hear how the Virtue pairing does with those current hungry speakers.

JoshInTaiwan

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2014, 10:15 pm »
In response to Seth's previous posts, I have been inquiring into battery powered supplies for the virtue (through Alibaba in China.) I found two possible solutions with good specs; built in charger; and proper connection. I am waiting to hear back from the supplier for a quote and to confirm voltage output. Here is the link to the one I am especially interested in: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/24-volt-battery-best-ups-batteries_1474167272.html   If the price is right and everything checks out maybe I can run a short term "power" business...haha. Thanks for the idea Seth! (I am only in China for a couple more months.)

ericlp151

« Reply #29 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:08 am »
12000mah,9800mAh is pretty low. 

I would think one would want to run the amp for a week with out needing to RECHARGE the batteries.  The higher the amp hours would be better since you really don't want to have the charger on while the amp is on.  I think 15-20amp hours should be good. 

bardamu

« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2014, 04:40 am »
Hello,
This battery isn't the type we have been talking about. You need a so called agm type or a lifepo4 ( which red wine audio is using). And a bigger AH rating would be nicer in my point of view. Sincere greetings, Edward

JoshInTaiwan

« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2014, 05:56 am »
Hi Eric and Edward.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. I will continue my search. For now, I am very pleased with the sound. I am using an upgraded Furutech power cord with mine.

Cheers!

bardamu

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2014, 10:53 am »
Hello,
I have seen negative experiences with low grade lifepo4 batteries on the internet. Charging has to be done  in a specific way and some cheap chargers dont seem to work properly which will result in damaging the batteries.
The agm batteries are easier to charge and keep in good condition. So if i would have a limited budget i would go for big batteries and a brand name charger. Spend as much on the power supply as you will spend on the ONE.3. It is a good investment.
Take a look at some of the graphics on the link i did post yesterday.
Sincere greetings,Edward

jopagi

« Reply #33 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:01 pm »
I received my One.3 a few days ago.  It came with a surprise set of very nice looking interconnects - thanks Seth.

What little I've heard from the unit so far is very very good.     Very quiet with excellent bass.   I'm not getting as deep a soundstage as I'd like, but I suspect that's more an issue with my other equipment and untuned acoustical environment than with the Virtue.   I won't have a good space to fully let them shine for another month or so.

It does have the volume control that's somewhat loose with the off position at 10 o'clock as others have mentioned.  It's not a big deal for me so I haven't tried the coffee stirrer remedy yet.

Regards,
Jonathan

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #34 on: 9 Apr 2014, 06:49 am »
Jonathan,

Thanks for your kind regards.

All of you early buyers - I don't normally ask for favors but let me ask this:

TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT THE ONE.3

Were I to rely on dealers, the **real** price for these lovingly made, art-deco pieces of magic would be 30% higher.   It's a wonderful gateway to the "high-end" - wonderful with a huge number of speakers, both desktop and full-size.

I have the units in my home office and can ship quickly (before Saturday and after Passover) personally.

Thank you so much.

Seth

markmac

« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:48 am »

I set up my ONE.3 kit yesterday with Mission M71 speakers and Orb Audio Super 8 sub, it exceeds my expectations !

Thanks to Seth - I am vey pleased with my ONE.3.

Also, thanks to the folks that post here as I have been reading up on Virtue Audio for about 2 years - mostly on this forum.

I tightened my volume button today - the posted suggestions worked perfectly.

thanks again from Canada!

bardamu

« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2014, 01:17 pm »
Hello,
Seth did mention it before and i strongly belief that in order to make this little device sing in the end you will end up with adding a subwoofer.
This precious gem is only 400$ so you will save loads of money and be able to add a 500$ active subwoofer. Next investment would be some batteries and you are done.
It might not be called high end but it is very very nice. Much better than an integrated amp from the big guys who will '' improve '' their products with gimmicks you dont really need and let the marketing guys convince you to replace your stuff before you did understand the manual.
Sincere greetings, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:20 am »
Edward and Marc,

Thanks so much. 

Hugs,

Seth

megabigeye

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2014, 05:35 pm »
Hi all (uh, Seth),
I'm strongly considering getting the One.3, but I have a couple of questions first...
The One.3 has a high pass filter for the speakers, but not a low pass for the sub, right?  And how do you activate the high pass?  Also, is there a manual for the One.3, or is it the same as the one for the One.2/Two.2?

I might have more questions, but I can't think of them off hand.

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic.  I didn't want to start my own thread and this seems as good a place as any to ask.)

Thanks!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2014, 05:44 pm »
Thanks for your interest!

> The One.3 has a high pass filter for the speakers, but not a low pass for the sub, right?

Correct!

To activate the high-pass, a second set of caps need to be installed.  I will do this for you if you want -- free with your order (now that I'm packing and shipping them all myself).  If you want a "high-end" 0.1uF cap, send it to me to install (or install yourself).  There are empty solder holes and a jumper for the 2nd set of input jumpers.

I created an upgrade manual for users who want to upgrade their ONE.2 to ONE.3 (one customer blew up his ONE.2).  I sell the ONE.3 replacement boards (2 pcs with wire harnesses) for $200 separately.  Email me at seth at virtueaudio.com and I'll reply with it.  Got lots of pics on the inside and goes through wiring, etc.

Seth