Up graded my cross-over

mikeeastman

Up graded my cross-over
« on: 23 Sep 2015, 03:25 pm »
I would like to thank Jeff for his advice on up grading my X-O and his summer sale . I  mounted all caps on small brass cones and attached all part to the board with silk braided thread as suggested  by Pierre at Mapleshade.
 Really took my speakers to the next level.

TrungT

Re: Up graded my cross-over
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2015, 03:38 pm »
Very nice  :thumb:

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2015, 08:01 pm »
Thank you Mike :D

That is some nice parts you have there!  How much time do you have on them?

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2015, 09:47 pm »
I've over 500 hrs on them, they needed close to 400 hrs to break in.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2015, 12:28 am »
Those look like Jupiter caps.  Did you go for the Copper foil or the HT? Did you consider the Flat stack HT?  Sorry for all of the questions.  I'm considering the Jupiter caps but the copper foils are too rich for my blood.  Just trying to get some insights.

Thanks

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2015, 01:12 am »
I am there with you on considering going to copper foils.  My Exotica 3s use 4 15ufs and two 30ufs.  Pretty awful cost wise. 

Shawn

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2015, 03:59 am »
They'er the copper foil, I thought about the flat stacks but decided the speakers were worth the extra expense and I feel the results were worth it. The copper foil  have more detail and better separation than the Sonicaps they replaced but real improvement was how musical the speakers became, the music just sucks you right in.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2015, 09:25 pm »
I've over 500 hrs on them.

I thought I had seen some Platinums in the picture.  Those guys do not come into their own until about 550 hours, but it sounds like you are there :thumb:

Did you consider the Flat stack HT?

Those dudes are about extinct :(  However, we still have some stock, and they are on Sale :D

I am there with you on considering going to copper foils.  My Exotica 3s use 4 15ufs and two 30ufs.  Pretty awful cost wise.

Do you have a schematic?  If not, could you draw one?  There may be options.  In any event, I'm sure we could help you out :wink:

They'er the copper foil, I thought about the flat stacks but decided the speakers were worth the extra expense and I feel the results were worth it.

Price to performance ratio...  This is where Sonic Craft strives to bring it.  Not all parts performance can be judged by their price, but we try to stock "only" the parts that perform up there with their price.  We want to hit everyone's budget, but not at the expense of value.  If you move up, I want you to enjoy an improvement worth the extra coin. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2015, 10:31 pm »
Nice Mike, I'm sure that xo sounds great. Enjoy!  :thumb:

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2015, 10:52 pm »
Jeff, there are platinums by pass caps but they were part of my old xo so they were already burned in.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2015, 07:56 pm »
Mike, what speaker do you have?  Schematic?  What are the larger Black caps?

mikeeastman

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2015, 08:08 pm »
Jeff the speakers are Serenity Acoustic super 7 s, the large caps are erse caps they are part of the notch filter. Don't have a schematic I just replace with the same value as the existing caps.

sfox7076

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2015, 08:15 pm »
I have Salk Exoticas.  The caps in them are Solens, Jantzen Air Core inductors and mills resistors. Values on the caps are high.  1 30uf and 2 15ufs per speaker.  Inductors are pretty standard values.  DCR changes could be more of an issue there than anything.  I also don't know how great a difference a foil vs. air core inductor would have.  Mills resistors is what I would use anyway. 

Shawn

dbx

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2015, 02:07 am »

Shawn

Shawn -

If you upgrade your caps, let me know what you go with.  I am getting an Exotica 3s set this week which I know will use Solen Caps.
I have some leftover Jupiter HT Flat Stack and Clarity Cap MR Caps from a previous crossover upgrade which I plan to use in the Exotica 3s, but I know I will need additional caps to get the values to what I exactly need.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:44 am »
Jeff the speakers are Serenity Acoustic super 7 s, the large caps are erse caps they are part of the notch filter. Don't have a schematic I just replace with the same value as the existing caps.

A high value matched pair of 27uF Sonicap G1s would yield some improvement at this point.  However, the would require some burn-in.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:50 am »
I have Salk Exoticas.  The caps in them are Solens, Jantzen Air Core inductors and mills resistors. Values on the caps are high.  1 30uf and 2 15ufs per speaker.  Inductors are pretty standard values.  DCR changes could be more of an issue there than anything.  I also don't know how great a difference a foil vs. air core inductor would have.  Mills resistors is what I would use anyway. 

Shawn

What kind of sonic improvements are you looking for?  In the end, I'll also need to know where the caps are in the circuit.  The coils can only yield a fraction of the difference caps will make.  I only change coils when I am trying to "help" cure a problem.

mikeeastman

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2015, 02:23 pm »
Jeff are you saying I should replace the erse cap with the 27uf Sonicap ? The erse caps are 47uf and are bypassed with sonicap platinums. The erse cap are a notch filter, do you think the upgrade would make a noticeable improvement?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2015, 07:44 pm »
I'm thinking that value changed from 47uF to 56uF.  My recommendation was to parallel a high value pair of 27uF G1s (~28uF).  After conferring with Danny, it appears that you may have something different altogether, or something in between.  I recommend contacting Danny.  Once we are sure that your circuit as connected is the fundamental design Danny recommends, we will reconvene.