NFL Football ('14-'15)

DS-21

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #40 on: 16 Aug 2014, 03:54 am »
Sorry, new coach, new offense, no way.

Not that new. Remember that O-coordinator Sean McVay was Li'l Shanny's TE coach. So there's continuity there. Besides, the offense doesn't need a new scheme. Last year they were top third in the league in terms of points per game. Even with a gimpy RG3. Gruden's keeping the Shanahan running game. Personnel-wise they did what they needed, which is get more talent at WR and hopefully improve the O-line a little (yes, but Polombus...). D-Jax and Roberts will keep defenses honest, so Alfred Morris can do his thing. And they'll be able to spread the field enough that RG3 will be able to make some plays with his legs in addition to his arm.

Now, if Trent Williams goes down, then never mind.

Last year the Redskins' primary problem was a defense that just couldn't tackle. It seems like they're trying to address that in camp this year. Let's see if the lessons stick.

You'll point to Chip Kelly,

Actually, if you had just read the text I wrote that you replied to, you would easily have been able to infer that I will not point to Chip Kelly. As I wrote above, there's more film on his offense, and he has less talent to run it. I don't expect much from the iggles this year. In fact, an iggles season that mirrors Redskins 2013 would not surprise me.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #41 on: 16 Aug 2014, 02:10 pm »
You may be right for the wrong reasons.  The Eagle offense is actually stronger now.  Jackson is a great talent who just doesn't mesh well with the Kelly offense, can't get off the line when facing tight coverage.  Matthews is a much better fit and is impressing big time at camp.  Add that the tight end position is improved while running back and o line remain strong.  More film doesn't matter, everyone knows the play before it's run, it's situational offense that preys on whatever you're not covering at the line of scrimmage.  You can't change up fast enough because they're running or passing where you're not.

The problem with the Eagles is their still horrible defense.  No pass rush, not enough talent in the secondary to blitz consistently, still only fair to poor against the run.  A recipe for failure against the better teams in the NFL.  None of those better teams reside in the NFC East, so the division is still up for grabs.  I would only be surprised if the Cowgirls win it, the Skins have a punchers chance as do the Giants, but the Eagles are my bet by default more than anything else.  Any of these teams would finish last in the western division, it's really that bad.

BTW, I meant Chip Kelly last year, which I thought would have been obvious, but apparently I have to apologise for not mentioning that I was referring to his well documented offensive success at that time.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #42 on: 17 Aug 2014, 04:01 pm »
Let's switch up a little here.  Who else is disgusted by the unbelievable number of ticky tack flags being thrown in the secondary for breathing on a receiver and on the line for a finger touching a face mask?  The excuse is the coaches asked for it, baloney, I don't care what the excuse is, I don't watch football to see refs throw laundry.  If this continues into the regular season I will swear off Sunday football and watch college football exclusively.

TomS

« Reply #43 on: 17 Aug 2014, 04:58 pm »
Let's switch up a little here.  Who else is disgusted by the unbelievable number of ticky tack flags being thrown in the secondary for breathing on a receiver and on the line for a finger touching a face mask?  The excuse is the coaches asked for it, baloney, I don't care what the excuse is, I don't watch football to see refs throw laundry.  If this continues into the regular season I will swear off Sunday football and watch college football exclusively.
Yes!!!

I watched the Colts and Giants last night. Even the announcers, with their own stat keepers, stopped counting the 5 yard first down "illegal touching" calls, both defense and offense. They took away 3 turnovers in a row at one point. Totally ridiculous.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:22 pm »
My resolve has not been tested by actual "this game counts" abstinence, but I think I am done with the NFL. I know I'm done with the NBA. Never gave hockey a look, and usually pay little attention to regular season baseball. I hear there are plans to televise golf and tennis but don't think I will be lured by those. Then take my aversion to reality shows and laugh tracks, and you have pretty good justification for cutting the damn cable, which I did 2 months ago.

Newton Minnow was right!!!

On the upside, my Grand Junction Rockies (Single A for Colo. Rockies) has been tearing up the southern division of the Pioneer League out here in nowhereville. Having reigning National League batting champion Michael Cuddyer and former closer Raphael Betancourt rehabbing here hasn't hurt any. This is rookie play - half the players are just out of college and the other half are on loan from a Caribbean nation. I imagine those pitches look pretty fat to Cuddyer. I even get a half-assed connection to their televised games with my $59 outdoor antenna.

My advice: hang it up until Goodell does. He's just an incompetent political appointee with tons of family connections. Think of tuning the NFL out of your life as a protest action. It might work - money talks louder to the owners than anything else.

jackman

« Reply #45 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:35 pm »

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Don't worry, this is for pre season only. No way the nfl is dumb enough to ruin the regular season. After this kind of fan outcry, I'd be surprised to see this BS in the final preseason games.  The games have been impossible to watch.

charmerci

« Reply #46 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:59 pm »
Yeah, I think that they're being a bit tough in the preseason just to show that the refs are being serious and that they'll back off a bit in the regular season on the secondary penalties...well, I sure hope so!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #47 on: 2 Sep 2014, 01:28 pm »
So who's ready for the Thursday night kickoff?

Totally off the cuff with no research, and subject to change before the games start times, the winners are:

Seahawks
Saints
Rams
Steelers
Eagles
Raiders
Bengals
Bears
Redskins
Chiefs
Patriots
Panthers
49ers
Broncos
Lions
Cardinals

Funny, spellchecker changed my Redskins pick to Redefines, my computer is really PC, ha.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #48 on: 2 Sep 2014, 01:38 pm »
Many sports and general media groups are changing the 'Redskins' name to something else also.

Emil

« Reply #49 on: 2 Sep 2014, 03:50 pm »
Many sports and general media groups are changing the 'Redskins' name to something else also.

How ridiculous

GO REDSKINS!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #50 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:22 pm »
Back in the day, us Baltimore Colts fans referred to them as the FORESKINS.   :icon_twisted:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #51 on: 4 Sep 2014, 11:34 pm »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #52 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:07 am »

Oh, hey, it's Brenda!  How ya been girl?

jackman

« Reply #53 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:10 am »
That's Jerry Jones with a longer wig and boobs!  I'm excited about the start of the season. Go Packers (tonight).

Freo-1

« Reply #54 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:48 am »
That's Jerry Jones with a longer wig and boobs!  I'm excited about the start of the season. Go Packers (tonight).

Nah!  Go Seahawks!   

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #55 on: 5 Sep 2014, 10:48 pm »

charmerci

« Reply #56 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:05 pm »
Sometimes people are just awful. Good for the players and Kimmel for doing this!

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/desean-jackson-others-read-mean-tweets-kimmel-video

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #57 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:31 pm »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #58 on: 6 Sep 2014, 08:08 pm »
Totally off the cuff with no research, and subject to change before the games start times, the winners are:

Seahawks
Saints
Rams
Steelers
Eagles
Raiders Jets
Bengals
Bears
Redskins Texans
Chiefs
Patriots
Panthers Bucs
49ers
Broncos
Lions
Cardinals

So here's my updated analysis:

New Orleans will have a tough time covering the three points, but should win in a close one, 27-24.  Take a pass on this one. 
St Louis is a better team than the Vikes even without Bradford and it should carry them to a three point win, 20-17.  Which means Minnesota is the pick with 3.5 points. 
Pittsburgh is not very good this year, but Cleveland is worse, 24-17.  It's a push at 7 points.
Jacksonville is still terrible and the Eagles are a comer, Eagles 33-20.  Give the 10.5 points.
Oakland is a cluster, Jets at home, 20-13.  Another game to pick the favorite giving only 5.5.  I flipped on this one, putting aside my man crush on Derrick Carr.
Cincinnati is the better team, but the Ravens at home, 21-20.  Stay far away from this one.
Chicago wll easily beat EJ and the Bills, 24-16.  Buffalo gets 7, but it won't help them.
The Texan's defense will eak by the Redskins, 23-21.  I changed my mind on this one, but still take the 3 points and the un-PC team here.
KC will roll the Titans at home, 24-16.  My pick of the week, giving only 3 points, take the Chiefs (why aren't we suppose to be upset over their name?).
The Pats will get past Miami in a tough one, 26-21.  I don't like this one, a bit too close to pick either side.
The Bucs are much improved and will edge Carolina 21-20.  I was swayed to change my straight up pick on this game, but the Panthers get 2.5, a value bet.
Dallas will hang tough with the 49'ers, but will fall at home 31-27.  SF is way too unsettled to depend on them, lay off this game.
That old man in Denver will show up the Youngster, 30-21 over Indy.  The super bowl team gives up 7.5 points, even with my prediction I pass on this one.
The Lions will get past the terrible Giants 27-21.  But they give up 6 points, not my favorite bet.
A great game in the desert with AZ over SD 23-20.  Which is a push bet at best giving or getting 3 points.
And of course Seattle made my close game that they slip by with a point a silly prediction with their trouncing of GB 36-16, I had it 28-27 Seattle.

Also for the under and over betters, if you look close at the lines I have quite a few under scores, offenses being behind defenses this time of year.  Vikes/Rams, Raiders/Jets, Bills/Bears, Titan/Chiefs, and Colts/Broncos are all good under bets.  Only the Bucs/Panthers match up is a good over, and I'm not all that high on that one.
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2014, 09:49 pm by Letitroll98 »

Freo-1

« Reply #59 on: 8 Sep 2014, 01:44 am »
Woo-Hoo! The Packers and the Bears both lost this week.  Lions fans gottta like that start.

The Patroits may miss Logan Menkins more that they think.