M3 Sapphire Amplification

justinloving

M3 Sapphire Amplification
« on: 19 May 2020, 07:15 pm »
I ordered a pair of white M3 Sapphires yesterday. Super excited. I know the go to amplifier is LTA but I’m wondering what other experiences you guys have with these speakers. Would love to hear what you are using.

I currently have an old Bryston 4b NRB that I’m going to have to replace to take advantage of these speakers. I’ve read a stereophile comparison of PrimaLuna VS LTA and PrimaLuna was preferred, but that is just one comparison. Anyway, looking forward to suggestions and experiences.

Thanks
Justin 

Downtheline

Re: M3 Sapphire Amplification
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2020, 07:46 pm »
I'm using the Benchmark AHB2 and the PS Audio BHK Pre with my m5s. Love it.

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2020, 08:03 pm »
I'll take the LTA over the Primaluna anyday. 
Just my opinion.  Right now using a Don Sachs all in pre with LTA ZOTL 10 MK II.  Just phenomenal with the x5's.  Also used the DS pre with a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS tubes and the same pre with a pair of All In Odyssey monos. 

justinloving

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2020, 08:09 pm »
I'm using the Benchmark AHB2 and the PS Audio BHK Pre with my m5s. Love it.

I was thinking about a PS Audio BHK 250 stereo power amp....interesting.

justinloving

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 08:10 pm »
I'll take the LTA over the Primaluna anyday. 
Just my opinion.  Right now using a Don Sachs all in pre with LTA ZOTL 10 MK II.  Just phenomenal with the x5's.  Also used the DS pre with a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS tubes and the same pre with a pair of All In Odyssey monos.

What about the LTA do you like better than PrimaLuna? I almost bought some Odyssey monos once...maybe I should have haha

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2020, 08:50 pm »
What about the LTA do you like better than PrimaLuna? I almost bought some Odyssey monos once...maybe I should have haha
To me the Prima Luna is just another middle of the road Chinese made amp.  It's good but just doesn't re-create that soundstage or depth that I look for.  Just a same ol' same ol'.  I've never heard music like I have played through the LTA.  First of all....dead quiet.  I mean ear against the driver silent.  Nothing.  A black background is so important to getting the best of the music.  Then there is that holographic, huge soundstage.  Just stunning to the point you forget about analytical listening and I just find myself reveling in the music.  Twelve watts and with the X5's there is all kinds of room for more.  A buddy has the reference 40 from LTA and he is able to play Maggie 3.7i's with it.  No small task as Maggie's are known to chew up and swallow low wattage amps.  But I've never heard such realistic bass come out of Magnepans in my life, and that bite you sometimes get from them is just silky smooth with pianos and horns sounding as realistic as I've heard.  I'm sure that Don Sachs pre I have contributed a lot too.  Maybe this is just a match made in heaven.  Not sure, but I'm listening to the finest system I've ever had and one of the finest I've ever heard......and I'm not a young man.

justinloving

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2020, 09:00 pm »
To me the Prima Luna is just another middle of the road Chinese made amp.  It's good but just doesn't re-create that soundstage or depth that I look for.  Just a same ol' same ol'.  I've never heard music like I have played through the LTA.  First of all....dead quiet.  I mean ear against the driver silent.  Nothing.  A black background is so important to getting the best of the music.  Then there is that holographic, huge soundstage.  Just stunning to the point you forget about analytical listening and I just find myself reveling in the music.  Twelve watts and with the X5's there is all kinds of room for more.  A buddy has the reference 40 from LTA and he is able to play Maggie 3.7i's with it.  No small task as Maggie's are known to chew up and swallow low wattage amps.  But I've never heard such realistic bass come out of Magnepans in my life, and that bite you sometimes get from them is just silky smooth with pianos and horns sounding as realistic as I've heard.  I'm sure that Don Sachs pre I have contributed a lot too.  Maybe this is just a match made in heaven.  Not sure, but I'm listening to the finest system I've ever had and one of the finest I've ever heard......and I'm not a young man.

Thanks for that info, I was a little concerned about the power output on the LTA but I haven’t read a single person say they felt it was under powered with any spatial speaker. Maybe I need to do more research, but I thought the PrimaLuna was extremely well made with it’s point to point wiring and relatively high quality caps and parts but maybe I’ve been subject to marketing.   I’ll probably reach out to LTA and talk to them about a demo once I get the speakers settled in.

loki7177

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2020, 03:02 pm »
I have a pair of white M3 Sapphires.  I love mine.  I have used two different setups since I have had them.  First was an Audio Research LS28 with a Benchmark AHB2.  And now a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP with KT150's and Brimar CV4003's.  The ARC Benchmark combo threw a wide soundstage and sounded neutral to slightly sterile.  With some recordings it was a little bright.  Bass and dynamics were excellent.  The Primaluna is much more forward and intimate.  The all tube setup removes any brightness especially in Triode mode.  It has a lot of synergy with the M3S.  It's presentation is sweet and engaging with no fatigue.  Even with this warmer presentation I don't notice any less detail compared to the seperates.  I don't detect any lost of dynamic either, this could be because of the KT150 tubes.  I love the ability to switch from ultralinear to triode depending on my mood and music.

I have sold my LS28 and will be putting the funds towards a Pass Labs INT 60.  Would love to try the LTA at some point too.

bbybaudio

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2020, 03:23 pm »
While I have not heard the LTA, my PrimaLuna dialogue HP integrated is the best sound I have had for most aspects including sound staging and 3D realism. Mine was produced after the cap upgrade, which dramatically improved the sound. I also placed Brimar tubes upfront and am using Tung-sol EL34bs, much better than the stock tubes. For comparison I started with a Bryston 4B SST, moved to a Simaudio Moon W5, then to Atman-sphere M60 monoblocks, then Manley snapper monoblocks, finally the Primaluna. Preamps included the Atma-sphere MP3, sonic frontiers line 3, and an all in Cary SLP98 F1, direct could running the best Pope tubes. Primaluna is better than all of them in my opinion and in my system. My speakers are the X5s.

justinloving

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2020, 06:31 pm »
While I have not heard the LTA, my PrimaLuna dialogue HP integrated is the best sound I have had for most aspects including sound staging and 3D realism. Mine was produced after the cap upgrade, which dramatically improved the sound. I also placed Brimar tubes upfront and am using Tung-sol EL34bs, much better than the stock tubes. For comparison I started with a Bryston 4B SST, moved to a Simaudio Moon W5, then to Atman-sphere M60 monoblocks, then Manley snapper monoblocks, finally the Primaluna. Preamps included the Atma-sphere MP3, sonic frontiers line 3, and an all in Cary SLP98 F1, direct could running the best Pope tubes. Primaluna is better than all of them in my opinion and in my system. My speakers are the X5s.

Thanks for this info! I was curious about the Manley Snappers....good to know the PrimaLuna bested it in your setup.

justinloving

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2020, 06:35 pm »
I have a pair of white M3 Sapphires.  I love mine.  I have used two different setups since I have had them.  First was an Audio Research LS28 with a Benchmark AHB2.  And now a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP with KT150's and Brimar CV4003's.  The ARC Benchmark combo threw a wide soundstage and sounded neutral to slightly sterile.  With some recordings it was a little bright.  Bass and dynamics were excellent.  The Primaluna is much more forward and intimate.  The all tube setup removes any brightness especially in Triode mode.  It has a lot of synergy with the M3S.  It's presentation is sweet and engaging with no fatigue.  Even with this warmer presentation I don't notice any less detail compared to the seperates.  I don't detect any lost of dynamic either, this could be because of the KT150 tubes.  I love the ability to switch from ultralinear to triode depending on my mood and music.

I have sold my LS28 and will be putting the funds towards a Pass Labs INT 60.  Would love to try the LTA at some point too.

Another Primaluna users! Thanks for the info. It’ll be interesting to see how my current 4B sounds in my room with the new M3S...once they break in of course.

gme109

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2020, 01:42 am »
I was thinking about a PS Audio BHK 250 stereo power amp....interesting.

I'm considering purchasing one of the Spatial Audio models, not sure which yet.
I'm currently using a PS Audio BHK preamp and BHK 250 amp, which I'm extremely happy with.
Just wondering though, since all of Spatial Audio's speakers are very efficient, are there any downsides to powering them with high wattage amplifiers?

jazzman463

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2020, 12:16 pm »
My M5s's love the Manley Stingray. Now that they are broken in I find I am listening almost 100 % in Triode . The Stingray is about 18  watts per in Triode an I have never found myself wanting for more volume and at times I listen loud.  The great thing about this is at very low volume ( wife sleeping)the sound is very listenable.    With well recorded material I find this combo to be audio Nirvana.  Tubes Rule.

justinloving

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2020, 12:19 pm »
I'm considering purchasing one of the Spatial Audio models, not sure which yet.
I'm currently using a PS Audio BHK preamp and BHK 250 amp, which I'm extremely happy with.
Just wondering though, since all of Spatial Audio's speakers are very efficient, are there any downsides to powering them with high wattage amplifiers?

Short answer: No. As long as you don’t accidentally turn the volume to unhealthy levels, you’ll be find. I’m thinking about getting a 250 my self.

Birdbrain

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2020, 06:07 pm »
I use an Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 amp to drive a pair of M3TMs, a match made in heaven. They offer 30 day in home trial.

justinloving

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2020, 06:55 pm »
I use an Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET 120 amp to drive a pair of M3TMs, a match made in heaven. They offer 30 day in home trial.

How would you describe the sound signature?

Birdbrain

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2020, 08:02 pm »
How would you describe the sound signature?

Nonplussed, with just a hint of mint. If you know what I mean.

Sorry, I'm the last guy you should be asking. The amp, preamp, and speakers all came into my system at the same time, impossible for me to know what any individual piece brought to the party.