dual spindle oil

henrylr

dual spindle oil
« on: 23 Aug 2023, 07:07 pm »
I'm in the process of cleaning and lubing my dual 1249 and I did a search for the oils dual used.  They used a tacky oil for the vertical spindle bearing and two sites sell it and kits with all the various lubes. I have a small machine shop and remembered that I have Tonna V ISO 68 way oil. Way oil is tacky because milling machines have vertical ways. Based on that would it be good for the Dual spindle?

Thanks

henrylr

Re: dual spindle oil
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2023, 11:58 pm »
I'm not using the Tonn v oil...I forgot how it smells.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2023, 02:52 pm »
I had an old dual and that oil did have that old machine shop smell to it for sure. I would just use something comparable, maybe sewing machine oil?

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2023, 05:03 pm »
Bill Neumann at fixmydual.com

P

henrylr

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2023, 11:13 pm »
I'm in the process of cleaning and lubing my dual 1249 and did a search for the lubes dual used. 

So, I bought this new in 1975 and never took the deck out of the plinth, so I thought it was time to clean and lubed it. I took the turn table out of the plinth and turned it over to get ready. It looked like it was recently lubed. There was no dried, dirty grease anywhere. All the parts that call for grease in the service manual had soft, clean, pliable, gold colored grease and all parts moved freely. The other parts that call for oil turned easily. So, I'm just going to put a renotac alternativ, on the vertical spindle bearing and the speed control vertical bearing.

henrylr

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2023, 05:48 pm »
What lubricant should I use for this Dual 1249 spindle bearing?
Thanks

henrylr

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2023, 03:07 pm »
A member of the vinylengine forum steered me to the service guides for Dual TTs and service guide #2 has the info. There is a photo of the bearing and description of how to prep it and, to lube it with renotac oil.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2023, 12:45 am »
Vinylengine has been a lifesaver for me several times. So much great information! Glad you found it.

henrylr

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2023, 03:19 pm »
I removed the spindle ball bearing and took all parts out of the bearing case. I have a question regarding the rubber ring that sits on the bottom of the case. Should it be lubed so it doesn't dry out over time? The one I have is soft, supple and like new, and I want to keep it like that.

Thanks,
henrylr

henrylr

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2023, 09:20 pm »
I got the answer on the vinlyengine forum. It seems the primo place to find TT info.

The oil will eventually get on it anyway, so up to you. I have used Stihl chainsaw oil (made for the cutting chain and bar). Just let the plastic ring with the ball bearings sit in a little pool of the oil for a few minutes, then install and assemble the bearing.