This is Spinal Tap - a movie haiku

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
This is Spinal Tap - a movie haiku
« on: 22 Sep 2017, 04:55 am »
Preamble
As I continue my traipse through the great movies of the past, I like to post a little bit of the flavor of some of my faves.  I found This is Spinal Tap to be especially funny.

Haiku
A mockumentary about an aging rock band, their first tour in 6 years and the humiliations that they have to endure:

Luckily they have a secret weapon to separate them from mere mortal metal bands - their amps go to 11!!

Truer words were never spoken:

We even get to see a bit of their flower power phase:

After many cancellations in the states they end up at rock bottom, playing for a lackluster crowd at an Air Force base:

Luckily they do find redemption in the place so many other washed up acts end up - Japan!

Summary

I've only seen this once, but already it reminds me of one of my other favorite comedies, The Big Lebowski - very high re-watchability and quotability!

Russell Dawkins

Re: This is Spinal Tap - a movie haiku
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2017, 06:41 am »
I heard the German band 'Scorpions' sued them because they thought Spinal Tap was a thinly disguised satire targetting them!

It might be just a great rumour, but it made me chuckle.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2017, 07:36 am »
I loved the film!  And even though the music is 'satire' I have the soundtrack CD and love it as well. :oops: :lol:

Kim S.

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2017, 09:09 am »
One of my favorite movies.  Just one of the memorable quotes: "As long as there still was Sex and Drugs, I could do without the Rock and Roll."

brother love

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2017, 09:36 am »
Love this movie!  We still reference the mini-stonehenge bit in the movie to anything being much smaller than we thought.

Nigel/ Christopher Guest was inspired to do his own run of mockumentary movies after this (Waiting for Guffman & Best in Show being the best).

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2017, 12:29 pm »
"Can I raise a practical question at this point?"

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2017, 12:51 pm »
"A Mighty Wind", mockumentary about folk music scene, is very good from these talented folks as well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2017, 03:40 pm »
I just listened to the commentary track, where they re-assume their characters and comment on what's happening in the movie.  It's almost funnier than the movie itself!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2017, 04:00 pm »
A Mighty Wind, Best in Show, and Spinal Tap are all classics.

Check out "Morons in Outer Space", a Brit film in the same vein.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2017, 12:09 am »
I just listened to the commentary track, where they re-assume their characters and comment on what's happening in the movie.  It's almost funnier than the movie itself!

I was going to say that - it's like a second movie! When I listened to it, it was an unexpected surprise.

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2017, 01:32 am »
Great hilarious movie, more fun with additional viewings.  Thanks for the heads up on the commentary track, it will give me a reason to watch again.  " Talk about mudflaps.........."