VMPS RM V60 question and Build

shauk786

Re: VMPS RM V60 question and Build
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2020, 02:19 am »
I finally received the 1/16th in thick gasket from Amazon. And it was the perfect size for the woofers in the bases and the grills are nicely flushed with the cabinet.

I have now completed both base cabinets  :banana piano: :bounce: as illustrated by the pictures below:

Base 1

Base 2:

I have also measured the resistance at the base terminals and I am glad to report they are 4.1 ohms for both bases.

Now I am ready to tackle on the wings. I will update on progress.

Cheers.

shauk786

« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2020, 03:39 am »
Today I started to work on the wings and I have completed installing the neos and tweeter onto the v60. I also used the same 1/16th thick foam gasket on the Neos.

Here is a couple of pictures:

Next step is to complete the wiring and I will start on the crossover build during the week-end.

Ken or Dave, on your v60s, how are the wires secured behind the wings? from the drivers to the binding posts on the base. glue or stuck behind the 4 by 1 inch foam?

Regards,
Shaukat

ZAKski288

« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2020, 04:33 am »
Looks great.  All the wires are ran through 3/8” holes in the thin section behind each panel, down the left side Two spots of hot glue.

shauk786

« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2020, 05:23 am »
Thank you ken.

Will drill a few holes.

shauk786

« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2020, 03:39 am »
Today I was hoping to complete both wings but the Neos wiring for one wing took a lot longer than anticipated. Tomorrow will be more or less the same for the other wing. But I am glad I got some major progress going.

I decided not to drill any additional holes on the wings to secure the wires but instead got some heavy duty velcro and it worked perfectly.

Here are a few picts.

Taking measurement of the resistance, it seems dead on at around 4.5 - 4.6  Ohm

More to come ...

shauk786

« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2020, 02:04 am »
Today was as involved as yesterday tackling the other wing. Both are now fully wired for both Neos and tweeter. For simplicity's sake, I decided to run the treble wires on the right side while the mids are on the left.

The good news is that all the wires will be hidden from view when the 4 inches by 1 inch foam will be glued on the wings. I plan to do that last.

Here are the pictures:

The crossover build is next...

more to come

shauk786

« Reply #46 on: 28 May 2020, 02:19 am »
Wow, It's been 9 days since my last post here. Finally last week, my crossover parts arrived from Parts-express, Meniscus and Parts-connexion. I have decided not to go all out on crossover parts since I believe most of my listening will be through the active Xilica crossover. I was also taken by surprise when the parts came in, due to their sizes and was a bit concerned if they will all fit in the small v60 crossover box. After a few tries, I was able to fit them in.

This is how the crossover box is looking now:

As you can see from the pictures I decided to use all copper foil inductors (Goertz Alpha core and Jantzen ) for the midrange and air coils for the tweeter and base. All I got from Meniscus.

Midrange Capacitor bank:
Two 25uf dayton (Precision audio) (Parts-express)
One 1.0 uf dayton (Precision audio) (Parts express)
One 1.5 uf Mundorf Supreme (Parts Connexion)
One 1.0 uf Audyn True Copper Max (Parts Connexion)
One 1.0 uf Duelund RS (Parts Connexion)

Treble Capacitor bank:
Two 0.68 uf Audyn True Copper Max (Parts Connexion)
One 0.01 uf Duelund bypass

Ken or Dave,

Please let me know if I am missing anything here. Hopefully not.

Tomorrow I will start building the other crossover box.

Cheers.

ZAKski288

« Reply #47 on: 28 May 2020, 02:23 pm »
Looks Good.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 29 May 2020, 04:55 pm »
The locations of the inductors and orientation can lead to cross-coupling between stages.

Here is an inductor layout guideline that might help. 

shauk786

« Reply #49 on: 31 May 2020, 03:38 am »
Hal,

Thank you for your feedback and diagram on the inductors. I have made some slight changes and hotglued all the components. Fortunately the center of the two top inductors are 20.25 cm apart which seems to be ok based on the diagram. I changed the orientation of the bottom right inductor to be on its side. The bottom left inductor was already on its side. Hopefully that would take care of any potential interference issues on the coils.

Will work on the 2nd crossover tomorrow.

Regards,

shauk786

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:32 am »
Finally, the passive crossovers are complete.

I am almost done with my rmv60 build. I need to cut some 3 inch dowels for the bases to hold the wings, install the end connectors to the wires, glue the foam on the back of the wings, then test.

Hopefully I will be done in a couple of days.

Cheers.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jun 2020, 05:29 am »
Wanted to share how much I have enjoyed following this build. The crossover really came out nice. Nice choice of components; some financial commitment, Deuland, Audyn. The to-do list is quite small in comparison with what you have accomplished. 

shauk786

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jun 2020, 01:23 am »
Thank you georgeAb. The encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Today I connected BFA banana connectors to all of the wires, six per each crossover box. I also did the dowels.

Question to rmv60 owners: What is the best method to use to connect the wings to the base. I believe it is a challenge to align the dowels to the holes. The dowels could easily be broken if not aligned perfectly. How did you get yours on. Your suggestions will be helpful.

Regards,
Shaukat

Housteau

« Reply #53 on: 3 Jun 2020, 04:21 am »
I did mine with them laying down.  Once connected I carefully raised them up.

At THE Show we did them vertical with two people lifting and a third positioning the base underneath.

shauk786

« Reply #54 on: 4 Jun 2020, 01:06 am »
Thanks Dave,

I did exactly what you did by laying them down. It worked like a charm.

Guys,

Today, June 3rd. marks the completion of my RM-V60 project. While just looking at the finished speakers, I can only marvel how impressive they look. Like Dave Housteau once said, this is a thing of beauty.

My home theater room is a dark room. So I apologize that the quality of the pictures are not ideal and that they do not represent how nice these speakers actually look.

I thank everyone who has read through all my posts since I started the build. Special thanks to everyone who have given me valuable information and advice here on audiocircle and on the phone. Lastly I want to dedicate this build to the maestro himself, Mr. Brian Cheney, May he continue to rest in peace. VMPS still lives on long after his passing.

Long live VMPS.

After the burning period, I will provide some of my impressions and I hope that John Casler can come by for a listen at some point.

Cheers,
Shaukat

G E

« Reply #55 on: 4 Jun 2020, 01:16 am »
They look splendid!

I followed this thread through your build and was cheering you on at every milestone.

And now they are finished.

I always feel a little sad when I come to the end of the parts bag and a build is complete. But in this case I’d be ecstatic and very impatient during burn in time.

BTW, if you have a cable cooker with variable settings, run it through your system. I use one of Jim Hagerman’s designs to warm up my system every weekend.  This will cut burn in time. An FM tuner tuned between stations will also help.

Can’t wait to get your listening impressions!

Housteau

« Reply #56 on: 4 Jun 2020, 02:32 am »
They look quite majestic.  Do you have all the settings needed for your crossover?

shauk786

« Reply #57 on: 4 Jun 2020, 04:13 am »
G. E.

Thank you very much for your nice comments. Unfortunately I do not own a cable cooker. But will look into it.

But I will look into the tuner process. Definitely, I will share my impressions.

Dave,

Regarding the electronic crossover settings, Yes I do have them in one of your email you shared with me a few years back  :lol: :lol:. I have 6 of the 25db attenuators on order from parts express. I have 3 vmps largers, two of which will be dedicated to the V60 system and one for home theater duties.

Cheers.

Regards,
Shaukat

shauk786

« Reply #59 on: 5 Jun 2020, 01:40 pm »
RSorak,

Very interesting read.