Amp upgrade recommendations please

goodguys

Amp upgrade recommendations please
« on: 29 Dec 2023, 07:25 am »
Hi Thanks for reading I’ve been using a LG CJ45 amp from argos, sounds okay for the £260 I paid, but now I am trying to move onto a more hifi setup. I upgraded the stock LG speakers with a pair of focal chorus, I picked them up used for £100 which gave a big improvement in sound quality.
Also upgraded the rca interconnect cables to Linn black, and the speaker cables to van den hul.
I’m wondering if the LG CJ45 amp itself may be worth upgrading.
Is it a decent amp, do you have any thoughts, have you heard or read anything about it ?
Or do you think the amp is okay and not worth bothering with upgrading. I have a budget of £300, would be prepared to buy used

toocool4

Re: Amp upgrade recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2023, 09:30 am »
Knowing Focal speakers, I would definitely say an amp upgrade is warranted. At your budget of £300, I would say buying second hand that is the only way you will get something that will be in keeping with your Focal’s.
What to get I can’t advice, getting around and having a listen preferably with your speakers on the end of it is the key.

Happy hunting.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2023, 01:59 pm »
Hello,

It sounds like you living in the UK? If you are I'd highly recommend a Naim integrated to you. I have a really nice Naim CD5si and I'm super happy with it and no need for a DAC either.

A quick google search shows quite a few on eBay for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395090105081?hash=item5bfd3492f9:g:jsMAAOSwlZhliqOx

Mike from Liquid Audio highly rates Naim please see below link.

https://liquidaudio.com.au/gorgeous-naim-nait-amplifier-restoration-review/#

If you can't stretch your budget a little I'd say wait and sit back until you have a higher budget.

Good luck Rod :)

goodguys

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2023, 02:43 pm »
Thsnks for the reply, much appreciated. What do you think of the topping PA5 II which i can get for £250. Also a few used hypex amps have turned up on ebay based on the nc122mp module. Both of these amps have a decent reputation on the asr website and are within budget, i've never actually heard them so can only speculate

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2023, 12:33 am »
Thsnks for the reply, much appreciated. What do you think of the topping PA5 II which i can get for £250. Also a few used hypex amps have turned up on ebay based on the nc122mp module. Both of these amps have a decent reputation on the asr website and are within budget, i've never actually heard them so can only speculate

Save your money and buy used from a name brand like Naim, Cambridge Audio, Audiolab, Arcam, NAD, Rotel, Marantz to name a few.  You get what you pay for.  While these cheap chinese made digital amps like Topping and Ayima can sound good, they have their issues and can be unreliable.  You have some nice speakers, now pair them with a decent Integrated amp or receiver.

Also, if you go with the Topping, get the PA5 II Plus version for better power to distortion specs compared to the regular PA5.
https://apos.audio/products/topping-pa5ii-plus-amplifier

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/integratedamp/home-audio/receivers-amps/integrated-amps/1.html

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2023, 01:06 am »
I was going to recommend the new Leak Stereo 230 made in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England but can't after noticing your budget.

But a guy can read the review and dream...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/leak-stereo-230-integrated-amplifier

"... but the Leak brings so much to the table—quality sound, sturdy build quality, functional versatility, a 3-year warranty—that I feel a bit cheap nitpicking. I didn't hear a $1500 product; I heard a well-designed product regardless of price. The Stereo 230 exceeded my expectations. But you probably expected me to say that."

I have heard both the early Class D NCore amps and the newest $5998/pr PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblock amps which uses tubes and latest ICEedge technology. Both amps were a long term loan, both amps left me cold, Class D is not for me.

The Leak is an AB design, I haven't heard it but it looks fantastic for the price. $1695 US.

And then there is the new Naim NSC 222 streaming preamplifier & NPX 300 power supply which really blows the budget
https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-nsc-222-streaming-preamplifier-npx-300-power-supply

Denton J

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2023, 01:53 am »
I have some experience with Focal speakers.  Your speakers can handle a fairly decent amp.  If you can increase your budget, your speakers will perform just fine. Look for a used Denafrips amp, sometimes they become available for decent discounted prices.  Good luck hunting for your amp.

J

goodguys

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2023, 02:49 pm »
I was going to recommend the new Leak Stereo 230 made in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England but can't after noticing your budget.

But a guy can read the review and dream...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/leak-stereo-230-integrated-amplifier

"... but the Leak brings so much to the table—quality sound, sturdy build quality, functional versatility, a 3-year warranty—that I feel a bit cheap nitpicking. I didn't hear a $1500 product; I heard a well-designed product regardless of price. The Stereo 230 exceeded my expectations. But you probably expected me to say that."

I have heard both the early Class D NCore amps and the newest $5998/pr PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblock amps which uses tubes and latest ICEedge technology. Both amps were a long term loan, both amps left me cold, Class D is not for me.

The Leak is an AB design, I haven't heard it but it looks fantastic for the price. $1695 US.

And then there is the new Naim NSC 222 streaming preamplifier & NPX 300 power supply which really blows the budget
https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-nsc-222-streaming-preamplifier-npx-300-power-supply

Thanks! Can you please explain what you mean that the class-d amps left you cold ? I’ve contacted a few sellers on ebay that are selling class-d hypex amps and they all say the hypex sound is very accurate but left them bored.
Also because of my hopelessly limited budget I have been looking at some of the china amps. Is there any possible merit to any of the china amps on ebay or aliexpress, is there anything that has been reviewed and found to be of good performance

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2023, 06:12 pm »
Thanks! Can you please explain what you mean that the class-d amps left you cold ? I’ve contacted a few sellers on ebay that are selling class-d hypex amps and they all say the hypex sound is very accurate but left them bored.

Class D is like a homemade stew or Mexican mole served on the day it was made. You can taste all the individual ingredients and it can be quite enjoyable. Class AB is the same dish after a day or two, the flavors blend and compliment each other acquiring depth and complexity resulting in a close to orgasmic experience.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2023, 07:09 pm »
If I were in the UK I would be looking into Cambridge Audio. Check out the British Audiophile on YouTube for some thoughts about them and other products which are easy to obtain in the UK.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2023, 11:26 pm »
Since you are fairly happy with the sound you are getting now, my advice would be to hang on to your money and save up a bit more. Whatever you buy at the £300 price point will not last very long before you find out it’s not up to the job.

If it were me, I would keep saving my money till I get to say £800 - £1000 then look for a good second-hand amp.

If you do decide to go with Naim like a few people mentioned, I would listen with the rest of your kit first.
Naim are bright and artificially Sharpe. Focal are bright / shouty and in your face, Focal plus Naim sounds like a recipe for having something screeching at you.
I know a few people are going to say Focal now own’s Naim, so they should in theory work together. They have meant to have re-designed the new Naim electronics to work with Focal speakers. Still try before you spend your money and let your ears be the judge.

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2023, 12:59 am »
Save more and go used, for sure.

Is there a UK equivalent to usaudiomart / canuckaudiomart?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2023, 01:20 am »
That LG amp is  a boom box.  I recommend finding a good used Marantz Integrated amp to pair with those Focals.  Marantz has a house sound, warm and smooth.  A Marantz integrated should pair well.  It will be a huge step up from the LG.  Or save your money and buy a nice $1500 Integrated amp.  Cambridge Audio is a British brand and they make some nice sounding gear.  I see a cheap chinese class D amp as a temporary fix. 

Bob Stark

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2023, 06:18 am »
One of the best sounding class D amps are the Nuforce Reference 9 SE mono amps.  They are not harsh sounding but have excellent sound with very good detail at all frequencies.  If you expand your budget a bit, you will find a used pair on one of the websites.  If it has already been upgraded in the power supply by TDSS, it's even better sounding and more reliable than the stock model.  If it isn't a SE or a pair of mono amps, the price will be much lower but it still has good sound--just now as good.  I would bet it would be a big upgrade over what you have now.  The monoblock SE version will go for about $900-!300 depending on location.  The TDSS upgraded one could be a little higher or near the same.  A stereo Ref 9 would be about $500-$700 used. 
If you could budget for one of these, you will not feel a great urge to upgrade down the road.  I had an Edge M6 amp before the Nuforce Ref 9 SE mono amps and it was a big upgrade.  I then got the TDSS level 3 upgrade and still have them making very awesome sound with a very detailed and clear speaker, VMPS RM40 BCSE's.  The Edge M6 was a nicer sounding amp than my previous Bryston 8B.  The Bryston and the Edge were good amps, but the TDSS version Ref 9 SE monos are in a whole different league.

Bob

toocool4

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2023, 09:16 am »
Bob Stark if goodguys goes for NuForce, goodguys will also need to get a pre-amp as the 9 SE is just power amp.

I used to own the NuForce Ref 9 SE V2 when they first came out all those years ago, it was not a bad amp for the money £3500 UK, $5000 US. I have to admit I did not keep it for long. I kept it for less than 2 years, then I gave it away to a friend as I went back to Class AB amp. I must admit Class D amps have come a long way since I had the NuForce, the newer Jeff Rowland Class D are worth a look but then you are looking at crazy money for the really good ones.

snaimpally

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2023, 01:12 pm »
Check out the British Audiophile's review of the Fosi amp that uses the Texas Instruments TPA3255 chip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmQKpej_5g&t=242s

In the video, he opens up the amp and shows the high quality parts (caps etc.) used. The TPA3255 is used in quite a few amps from well established companies, such as (according to the British Audiophile) the AXA35 from Cambridge Audio. The TPA3255 is also used in the LSA Discovery Warp One amp, which has had excellent reviews (Absolute Sound's 2022 Product of the Year) and sells for $1200 USD.

The Fosi amp is regularly available on sale from Amazon. Fosi bundles the amp with a 32 watt power supply unit (PSU) but I suggest buying the Fosi 48v PSU as the amp will produce higher output (British Audiophile also suggests the 48v PSU). The Fosi amp and 48v power supply should be well within your budget.

He also has a seperate video on the best amplifiers of 2023, by price range and I think the Fosi won in the lower price bracket. You could also look at buying used one of the other amps he mentions.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2023, 02:40 pm by snaimpally »

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2023, 04:16 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2024, 01:26 am »
Look for a used Denafrips amp, sometimes they become available for decent discounted prices.

+1 for Denafrips! :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2024, 11:13 am »

Hi,

Just find another good integrated for you a Creek Audio 4140 an excellent integrated on a budget. I'd stay away from cheap digital amps just my opinion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266547485493?hash=item3e0f77db35:g:NW4AAOSw3mNlI95B&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8CXYwSSddrYbbM%2FnD%2BdcgEmDwVLReVHjHGVlKpmGNc3JaGIc%2FOpsJif7y5KlL01Wk5UGgABNqkVyNiQjhAKRmtEyr52XS%2F1EY8WxEDGLb54wu%2Bj%2F3SL%2Fa1IbXF%2Fh1bSbAlfgKUO4CwF8SmpgFcFhDKryBWIuvzWeOED75Upfyh10apNBZGBvcz6amZ2J1MN%2Fq4KK3hIErnaVAt5J5aWFLVVTIz%2FwKOwEMQD2IVZkqbWJvUVdmY8Y0OWYkOtQNKXbVodDtPVWHtb9J8DcNH4tVCnkZGtC%2FTCYZks9aZUL%2Bh8SHlZFRODKbA4kNmHgN%2BbNLQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9iBv8uYYw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266332571203?hash=item3e02a88643:g:HasAAOSw7SRkrrIK&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8NPnJtLdBby%2BLQQTUomr1vGGlaf64dNjoxPEQTviMoKhDfhdzAtrZ4pKwoIEhC9CfU0S248c53vyIptQYXim1eJlQrs0VwEX7orjdjvwB07e5VwQmEd%2Fv1e1S%2FZbWV%2F5v9qMVHQ8PB8rnbOXPGlsbqh6FrfpIiqoJTdlvwRrs0y6xMqPeo3vf%2Buae%2BVuGWQu%2BVdVcO%2FJ4CfvbYrYFT6VM9a8F2qnpwGTxs4QCnQop7yvI5TOIYlGTJffqF0vk42N9KQK0%2Bk6jqWMCKyyd7mI%2BrderenTVvNFptCvRi%2BRnBydwAPpdlykGjueKh10JjAPPQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM-OOny5hj

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256358767702?hash=item3bb02c5c56:g:5R0AAOSwrJJljwoD&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8FVoghcvCBIZ7Mw7AQTxnyUGRzYeC0QgiTj0Q%2Fi56WwzSHh7qRAJlQ6Vv69LrUJAaTPoSItzMOA8ezE%2FzRzrFNp1mmFi5GVJvZAnT7bRHwzOf0iH96PEyJPurMhsapnM8a%2FMbjLFvC9DxLIPE845pCz8O%2BzxOOs1jPmPZQhn7BzDb9%2FWn8NuZU%2FMC4soBAZHI8Hj2Fzl3IDpUfUADnOppeOJWRXKA0S0%2FZ0DUHmAWpfclm8pAfV1ED%2BqdUMEEV%2Fg3sONe9ZvCK4x0sPJQUhJEE%2BcZqwdKNUOTMNLXaRrGsDmcbRmg61MiZVrcHis1cinWw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_jjp8uYYw

Cheers Rod

snaimpally

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jan 2024, 01:28 pm »
I'd stay away from cheap digital amps just my opinion.

I'm assuming this is with reference to the Fosi amp I suggested (and if not, please clarify which amps you were referring to by the phrase "cheap digital amps"). It uses German and Japanese made capacitors and inductors so it may be relatively inexpensive but it uses quality parts. Also, class D is NOT a "digital" amp. Please read up on it before making such comments. Cambridge Audio has an excellent blog post explaining Class D and why they are using it:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/whats-the-deal-with-class-d

"Class D is not digital" and "D was chosen just because it's the next letter in the alphabet" are some relevant quotes from the above blog post.

Many of the well regarded companies like Cambridge Audio, NAD, etc. have embraced class D and use the TPA3255, among other chips. Have you actually listened to the Fosi or other amps that use the TPA3255?
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2024, 02:29 pm by snaimpally »