IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

giordy60

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #440 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm »
I do not know the query has already been treated, I wanted to know if IDA 8 can be connected directly to a nas (as shown in the drawing specifications) and how to make it work, I suppose with a software package like the one dell'RW100. thank you

zwizardofoz

« Reply #441 on: 1 Dec 2016, 06:07 am »
many NAS like Synology have the internal setup to add a DAC via USB and stream from the NAS direct to the DAC using a program like DS-Audio that will detect an Audio device (USB Speakers) and you can use that to play. It may or may not with depending the software to support formats like DSD/DSF etc

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/6.0/packages/AudioStation

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #442 on: 13 Dec 2016, 03:34 pm »
Hello friends,

I'm really craving to hear what a better DAC-AMP does to my system.  I currently own the NuForce DDA-100, and the IDA-8 seems like an almost perfect solution.  I have two questions though:

1. I have Totem Acoustic Rainmakers (4 Ohm, 87.5 dB/W/m).  Would I actually be able to hear the better amp on the IDA-8, or are my speakers way below the better resolving characteristics of the IDA vs the DDA?

2. I love my current connectivity which is:
  • TV -> Optical Cable -> DDA-100 OPT-in 3
  • AirportExpress -> Optical Cable (miniToslink to Toslink) -> DDA-100 OPT-in 4
Unfortunately, the IDA-8 has only 1 Optical in (I really think this is the one point where the design of the IDA-8 is lacking :( , as the next models that have two inputs are the DAC-10 and the IDA-16).  My question is: would a cheap optical -> coaxial hub work well or will it degrade the quality of the sound?  Are there any other obvious combos I am missing?  I would like to avoid hooking the AE via analog cable and move the DA conversion to the inferior DAC on the AirportExpress :( .

Thanks for any feedback!
Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #443 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:39 pm »
Optical to electrical conversion has to be done ANYWAY, so it is ok to convert optical to coaxial (get a highly rated converter on Amazon) outside of IDA-8. Currently the two optical inputs on DDA-100 get converted onboard to electrical SPDIF signals.
With the limited space, IDA-8 choose to have 1 coaxial + 1 optical instead of two opticals for better performance (good CD or Blu-ray players have coaxial output).

IDA-8 is noticeably better than DDA-100 in every way. DDA-100 was designed 4 years ago :)

rustydoglim

« Reply #444 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm »
IDA-8 now won two Product Of The Year awards. This new one came from TAS.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #445 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:46 pm »
...IDA-8 is noticeably better than DDA-100 in every way...
Thanks for the reply!

I have no doubt that IDA-8 is noticeably better, the question was: will my speakers be able to show that difference or will it be lost due to the entry-level (so to speak) of the speakers?

Also, given my setup, will the new IDA-6 not make for a better choice?  What will I be sacrificing? (other than keeping a couple of hundred bucks on the bank ;) )

Thanks again,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #446 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:16 pm »
I have not heard your speaker so can't comment. I know not to judge the sound quality simply base on price. But I think with a better amp and DAC, you should be able to hear the difference. Most US dealers and online stores will allow you to return for full refund.

Here's the sound quality if I have to rank them:
IDA-8
IDA-6  (use similar to STA-9 amp design)
DDA-100

So I think upgrading from DDA-100 to IDA-6 is good, but not worth the effort. 

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #447 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm »
Completely agree about not judging by the price.  Speakers are great, and the best I could afford. Just unsure if they are already out resolved by the amp or if there is room for a better amp to justify the extra cost.  But I agree that perhaps the IDA-6 could be too closet to justify the change.

Not in te US though. So trial and testing is not as straightforward.  Still, the local NuPrime supplier is a great guy,
I'm sure we can come with a solution.

ajh88

« Reply #448 on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:00 am »
Hey all, I've had my IDA-8 for a year now and love it. Looking for recommendations on a front end streamer that has a solid Tidal app. Don't need a DAC since the IDA-8 has it already. Something like the Bluesound Node 2 ($500) to the Lumin D1 ($2000) is my range.

Love to hear your thoughts on what should pair well.

JackD

« Reply #449 on: 14 Dec 2016, 07:01 am »
I would forget the  Bluesound and it's quirky app if I were you.  The Lumin D1 is a really good option but needs the $500 Sbooster power supply to reach it's full potential.  That leaves you with the Auralic Aries Mini and an LPS for about $700 or the Auralic Aries for $1500. I have tried the Bluesound and sent it back and own the Aries and the Mini with LPS.  With the upgrades in the Auralic software and firmware over the last several months the sound between the two is so close that I would buy the Mini and an LPS.  If you don't want to spring for the $300 Auralic power supply there is one on EBay for less than $125 that has been around for several years and works like a champ.  If you are going to use USB then the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery will also help improve the sound. 

brianhb

« Reply #450 on: 16 Dec 2016, 09:35 pm »
Hello friends,

I'm really craving to hear what a better DAC-AMP does to my system.  I currently own the NuForce DDA-100, and the IDA-8 seems like an almost perfect solution.  I have two questions though:

1. I have Totem Acoustic Rainmakers (4 Ohm, 87.5 dB/W/m).  Would I actually be able to hear the better amp on the IDA-8, or are my speakers way below the better resolving characteristics of the IDA vs the DDA?

2. I love my current connectivity which is:
  • TV -> Optical Cable -> DDA-100 OPT-in 3
  • AirportExpress -> Optical Cable (miniToslink to Toslink) -> DDA-100 OPT-in 4
Unfortunately, the IDA-8 has only 1 Optical in (I really think this is the one point where the design of the IDA-8 is lacking :( , as the next models that have two inputs are the DAC-10 and the IDA-16).  My question is: would a cheap optical -> coaxial hub work well or will it degrade the quality of the sound?  Are there any other obvious combos I am missing?  I would like to avoid hooking the AE via analog cable and move the DA conversion to the inferior DAC on the AirportExpress :( .

Thanks for any feedback!
Best regards,
Rafa.

I have Totem rainmakers and just purchased the IDA-8.
My previous setup, I was using a Sony HAP S1 to drive the Totems.

I am not an advanced audiophile so lack the flowery vocabulary to describe the difference but the upgrade to the Nuprime IDA-8 has dramatically improved the sound from my Totems particularly in the mid-range which used to sound a bit muddy.

A pleasant surprise is that the Nuprime is fully compatible with the Sony HAP-S1 via the USB port.  So I can continue to use the music stored on Sony drive as a high resolution source for FLAC and DSD files.

BB

rustydoglim

« Reply #451 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:57 am »
Hey all, I've had my IDA-8 for a year now and love it. Looking for recommendations on a front end streamer that has a solid Tidal app. Don't need a DAC since the IDA-8 has it already. Something like the Bluesound Node 2 ($500) to the Lumin D1 ($2000) is my range.

Love to hear your thoughts on what should pair well.

I think it is still several months before Tidal is added to Nuprime WR-100 ($99), that would be ideal for you (cheap and plug directly into IDA-8 with a single wire for power and SPDIF data).

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #452 on: 19 Dec 2016, 05:35 am »
...the Nuprime IDA-8 has dramatically improved the sound from my Totems particularly in the mid-range which used to sound a bit muddy.
Great to hear about this. Thank you!

Roxy

« Reply #453 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:29 pm »
I have a significant vinyl collection and few hi rez downloads as of yet. Can anyone comment on the phono stage in the ida 8 or ida 9? Thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #454 on: 27 Dec 2016, 04:57 pm »
There is no phono stage for IDA-8, you have to use HPA-9.
But we are considering a very special photo amp ($149 to $199) with customisable sound characteristic through use of custom built opamp.

jackslater1

« Reply #455 on: 29 Dec 2016, 09:37 am »
Hello,

Considering currently a new system. I was wondering whether there would be a way to achieve this set-up / functions:
- IDA 8
- WR-100
- Bluetooth streaming

I see I can have for sure WR-100 or Bluetooth but both at the same time I don't see how unless through an switch?

I would use bluetooth mainly for stream live audio from my PC (youtube, videos, internet), maybe there is a way to do so through Wifi? Can the WR-100 be considered as a souncard by windows? (I used to use such a device produced by Azurewave)

Thanks for your help!

srb

« Reply #456 on: 29 Dec 2016, 10:28 am »
While the WR-100 can apparently be connected to the IDA-8 E4 extension port for both power and data, it also looks like it could be alternately connected via the S/PDIF optical output (if that input on the IDA-8 is not needed for another source) along with a separate external 5VDC @ 1A power supply.

Steve

jackslater1

« Reply #457 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:20 am »
Hi Steve and thanks a lot,

Indeed, there is this possibility, I was planning to use the optical input for the tv, but a set up can be done with a optical switch or optical to coax converter. I suspect however that it would be of a lower quality than the USB input (maybe risk of jitter).

Jérémie 

srb

« Reply #458 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:41 pm »
Another possibility might be to connect the WR-100 to the E4 port and add a third-party Bluetooth adapter with coaxial S/PDIF output such as the Yamaha YBA-11.

It too would need a small power adapter (5VDC @ .5A).  I know the IDA-8 already comes with a Bluetooth dongle, but if some kind of small accessory device needs to be purchased one way or another .....

Steve

rustydoglim

« Reply #459 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:35 am »
Hi Steve and thanks a lot,

Indeed, there is this possibility, I was planning to use the optical input for the tv, but a set up can be done with a optical switch or optical to coax converter. I suspect however that it would be of a lower quality than the USB input (maybe risk of jitter).

Jérémie

The type-A port for bluetooth dongle and WR-100 is not USB, it is simply S/PDIF, which is essentially the same as coax.
Using the optical output from WR-100 should be ok, not worst than coax in such a short distance.